iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood

Started by chestnut, February 24, 2009, 09:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chestnut

Hello All

Long time reader but not to talkative. Anyway, i have a tract of timber (170 acres) that was logged back in the early 80's that i was going to have timbered again, but since timber is down i thought now might be a good time to thin out some undesireables for firewood sales. What i was wondering was is there a book anyone could recommend for manageing a woodlot or would you call a forester?

Thanks Chestnut

Ron Wenrich

Where in central PA are you?  Maybe you're close to PAFaller.  He's looking for work just like you are describing.  Here's the thread he is talking about it:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,36069.0.html

A lot of what can or should be done depends on the past management practices.  Was the last harvest a diameter limit cut, a high grade cut, or a thinning?  A thinning should have removed some of those undesirables. 

I don't know of any book that would be too useful.  A forester could do a forest survey to figure out what you have in your woodlot and what would be a recommendation.  But, getting rid of undesirables is a useful undertaking, no matter what the market conditions are like. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

chevytaHOE5674

I don't know of any one book that will get you up to speed on forestry. Theres a reason people go to school to learn it. Consulting a local forester, and constructing a long term management plan would be ideal.

But removing the low quality, low value, undesirable species can be done anytime.

chestnut

Thanks for the reply Ron.  I'm from a three horse town called McVeytown, about 40 min south of State College (Penn State land ). My pap owned the land previous and he had a forrester mark the timber before the cut in the 80's. My guess on the type of cut would be diameter limit, as I recall him talking about it. I guess what I need to figure out is what is firewood and what WILL be lumber. I'll have to give PAFaller a holler or the local district forrester. Thanks again

Ron Wenrich

I'm a Penn State grad, so I'm familiar with the area. 

What you're looking to get rid of is trees with poor form, below grade and low species utility.  For example, most guys would get rid of black gum.  It gives off a lot of seed, will seed under the overstory, and has very little economic importance. I'd scratch beech off that list as well.

What you want to do is figure out which trees are crop trees, and which ones you want to keep.  Oak has been a good specie in years past.  But, I see a lot of trouble on the oak markets.  Veneer quality always does well.  Soft and hard maple are doing pretty well right now.  Cherry is always a pretty good tree to grow, if you have the soil.  Trying to manage for future markets can always be a gamble. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!