iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

berlin machine works molder

Started by beav39, March 08, 2009, 08:25:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beav39

any one ever seen one of these ,i have one that runs of from belt.the motor is an old flat head six continental,its not all together yet just wandering if any one has seen one or heard of one?
sawdust in the blood

JSNH

I have a Berlin 4 headed planner. It is old and big must weight 4,000 pounds. When the snow melts I can take a pick.

JSNH

beav39

sounds like mine    same here when snow melts i to will post    thanks     scot
sawdust in the blood

Kcwoodbutcher

I've got a model 199 jointer made around 1914. Love it, it is a beast. Go to Old  Wood Working Machine for info. I know you can download the original Berlin catalog. Berlin tools changed their name at the beginning of WWI to a more familiar name- Yates. Seems Berlin wasn't a great company name to have at the time.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Paul_H

I know a guy with a Berlin 108 but it's a 5 head moulder.

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

beav39

Quote from: Kcwoodbutcher on March 11, 2009, 09:34:40 PM
I've got a model 199 jointer made around 1914. Love it, it is a beast. Go to Old  Wood Working Machine for info. I know you can download the original Berlin catalog. Berlin tools changed their name at the beginning of WWI to a more familiar name- Yates. Seems Berlin wasn't a great company name to have at the time.
thanks for the info   does yourjointer run on a drive belt?
sawdust in the blood

beav39

paul h.   looks about like mine what is the fifth head for?
sawdust in the blood

Paul_H

beav39,

I don't know much about them other than what I learned from other FF members but I think the extra head is a finish head if you will.It is the final pass on one surface. Hopefully someone in the know will confirm or deny.

Brett,the fellow I know with the Berlin, has rebuilt the machine completely including re-babbiting.His machine is adjustable while running and is a much faster set up than the 4 sided planer I own.

Here is a link to an older thread when I bought a 4 sided planer with square heads and got a lot of good solid advice from other members.I still run custom floors with this old machine but the setup time to go from 2x12 t&g to ¾x 6 t&g can take anywhere from an hour to 6,depending on a number of things.
The Berlin is a better setup.

Link

2nd Link
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Kcwoodbutcher

Beav39- It's been converted to a 5 HP 3 phase motor-V belt drive. The cutter head was replaced a long time ago with a 4 knife ball bearing setup.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

sawdust

I have run across a Berlin 108 going to be sold on Friday. Pto drive and a lot of belts! Appears to be in working order there are fresh shavings and there is no rust on the knives. I have no idea if my side heads are the same size shaft. This would save me having my tub staves custom planed. Any idea what its worth?
It is a very heavy beast!

David
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

beav39

nice find get some pics and keep us posted !  far as price i wouldnt have a clue
sawdust in the blood

sawdust

Figured out the picture thing again! Frosty pictures from this morning. There are more in my gallery. Auction is tomorrow.

Sawdust

beav39

looks simalar to mine maybe a little newer or older not sure ill get some pics as soon as wheather breaks,i see that one you are looking at is a drive shaft drive nice feature    good luck at the auction
sawdust in the blood

sawdust

The planer was built in 1906 and sold for 800.00

sawdust

beav39

wow that old huh!did you buy it?
sawdust in the blood

sawdust

Nope, I would have gone to 600. I knew it was older than 1916, they changed their name.

david

beav39

oh yeah ,what did the name change to?mine says berlin machine on the lower base
sawdust in the blood

sawdust

The planer in the sale had Berlin Machine Works cast into the side of the lower side support as well. No.108

this quote is from the Old wood working machine web page.
"Berlin Machine Works" was the new name of the former J. L. Perry & Co. after Mr. Perry sold out in 1883. In 1884 the company was bought by Porter B. Yates. He quickly expanded the company, which according to Dana Batory was "the only company in the United States that specialized in building sanders." The company incorporated in 1887, and in 1888 it moved to Beloit. In 1908 they opened a large factory in Hamilton, ON, which had plentiful and inexpensive hydroelectric power and provided access to the protected Canadian market.

During WWI, in 1916, the company changed its name to P. B. Yates Machine Co. to avoid the Germanic connotation of the old name; See the entry under that name for the subsequent history.

Thank You Sponsors!