iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Veneer

Started by countryboy, August 29, 2003, 11:36:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

countryboy

How is the best way to identify veneer logs on the stump or after they have been cut and are in the log form? I would like to know if I had a veneer log or not before I took it to a lumber yard.

My property has a lot of:
Red Oak
White Oak
Ash
Hickory
Some Birch and Sycamore

How are logs graded etc.

Thanks a lot

woodmills1

welcome country boy, bet there are some nice trees in W Va. try this thread for starters.

https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=Ask;action=display;num=1041203307;start=1
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Ron Wenrich

Veneer is largely a log that is free of defect.  There is a minimum diameter, usually 14" dib (diameter inside bark), and 8" in length.  Walnut has smaller standards.

White wood species such as ash need to have a certain amount of sapwood.  Heartwood is a defect, no matter how clean.  

There are other defects that are not allowed.  Mineral deposits, worm hole, knots, seams, shake, and bud knots are just a few.  

Sawlogs will allow defect.  The more defect the lower the grade and the value.  A lot of mills have their own grading system.  It is usually worthwhile to see what the mill specs are before bucking.  You also have to check the scale used.  Doyle is common for veneer, but sawlogs may be in Scribener or International.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ridge_top_farm_WVa

Woodmills and Ron,
I lost my password and reregistered,I was formerly "Countryboy".
I like my name as Ridge-top_farm_WV better anyway.
Thanks for the reply/info about veneer.
Yes there is a lot of nice timber in WVa,I have about 90 acres and there is a lot of timber on my land.
I have cut some timber on my place and plan on cutting some more as time permits.I am glad I found this forum.
It looks to be a very good place for reference etc.
Sorry I took so long to get back and reply.

Thanks again
Ridge_Top_Farm_WVa

Thank You Sponsors!