iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flooding Husky

Started by blue_eyed_devil, September 01, 2003, 08:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_eyed_devil

I searched the forum before posting so please don't hang me for asking.
My 395 xp is about 8 months old and is used  for several hours 5 days a week.I always run high octane fuel & 50:1 husky oil.I  keep the fins clean because I do get alot of shavings build-up from brushing end grain.I changed the spark plug last week.
Last week was the first time I had to adjust the idle to stay running.
Today the temperature was around 24 celcius.
The saw would quit (when hot) immediately after releasing the throttle and instantly flood.I know Huskies flood easy but this is rediculous.
Anybody know what my problem is??
 Thanks...
262 xp,395 xp,built my own chainsaw mill

Kevin

I would start with a carb adjustment using a tach.
The dealer will likely do it for free if it's that new and you bought it there.

Jeff

Quoteplease don't hang me for asking

We dont do that here. Ask all ya want. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Minnesota_boy

Is your fuel tank vented properly?  Sounds like you have a pressure buildup that forces fuel past the float valve. (yah, I know there isn't a float in the chainsaw carbs anymore.)
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

jokers

Yeah, carb adjust from the ground up, or you could have sawdust that went through the vent hole and bearing on the metering diaphragm, ultimately causing the needle valve to be open when it shouldn`t be.

Russ

Tom

My 61 did that and I found the that the filter in the tank had come off of the fuel pickup line. I put it back and it has worked fine since.  Don't ask me why, I don't know.  I guess that it was picking up trash from the tank even though I found none in it.

Viking

Hmm, i wouldnt call 5hrs a day "several hrs", I run my saw about 10-12 hrs a day, but anyway i've noticed that it was suggested already, but get your carb checked :)

Paul_H

Viking,
I don't think 5 hours a day was mentioned,but fallers out here run 6 1/2 hours a day.

I was just curious what you do for work with your saw.Do you build loghomes,firewood,spacing? I haven't been East of Saskatoon since I was a kid,and was interested in happens out there. 8)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

blue_eyed_devil

Well, I just got some bad news from the saw shop.My 395 was'nt flooding it's self at all.It was building up friction from excessive scoring. hence it would stall when idling.I started it and ran it 3 times after the initial stall, not realizing it what was going on.I thought it was flooded since I did'nt feel any difference when starting.
They say I'm looking at a $640.00 bill to replace piston and cylinder and general tune-up kit.
I bought this saw for building (one) log house for my father.
I would have been better off buying a homeowner Poulin!!!!!!!!
Excessive heat build-up was what they said caused.Said my oil/gas ratio looked good.............. bummer

blue_eyed_devil

Those long shavings that I talked about about in my first post were the probable cause of the heat build-up.I get them packed between the fins from brushing out the groove on my log ends.I clean them out every day,sometimes twice a day.I guess that took it's toll over time.

Kevin

That's a bummer and the rebuild estimate sounds quite high .

Tom

Maybe its time to check out one of the "modification" guys. :P

As long as you have to spend the money, you might as well end up with a top notch saw. :D

MemphisLogger

Isn't it still under warranty?

If so, send the powerhead to Baileys ( www.baileys-online.com ) in a plastic bag along with a copy of the receipt.

I'm pretty sure they'll fix it up for you.
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

blue_eyed_devil

At the risk of making alot of  people mad here ,I have to say in my opinion.....,thier warranty is garbage! I bought the saw from a dealer.He asked me what I was using the saw for.I told him exactly what I was doing.
He gave me a two year warranty.When he called me the other day,he says no, it's not a manufactures defect because the saw was overheated.I told him I always run Husky oil 50:1,premium fuel (which is recommended) and I did my best to really look after this unit.I spent about $1400.00 with the extra bar.
Overheated !!!! How do you know if your overheating a 2 stroke? They don't come with a temp gauge! HE says yeah but with the warmer temperatures and I must have over-worked it.I know I did not overwork it because I only used it for cutting laterals,scarfs and notches,not to mention the fact that it is almost the largest saw you can buy.
 He also told me that it was only covered for 3 months for this type of thing...LOL .
I had intented to use this saw on a mill I just built.I wonder how long it would have lasted for that application?
Neways..sorry for the rant. I'm looking for the cylinder /piston kit to fix it myself.
From now on I will be mixing at 40:1 too!!!

IndyIan

I hope this isn't too late but it would probably be worthwhile to talk to a service rep at husky since your dealer isn't helping you.  It can't hurt to ask what they can do for you.

The excessive heat build up excuse does sound a bit fishy, imagine the heat build up of the saw cutting in the amazon...  Huge HARD, hardwood trees in 100+ degree F conditions.  As long as your air/fuel mixture was correct I would think it should be hard to kill that saw on purpose!  At least in a relatively short time.  Also the hotter the air is, the richer the A/F gets making the saw run cooler.

Good luck!
Ian

Gus

My experience with saws has been that they are primarily designed to cut across the grain of the wood with stock chain.Now anything out of the norm, such as cuts parallel  or diaganal will make a saw run excesively hot unless the right chain is used. There are markets out there that sell this type of chain or you can grind any combination there-of.
Really to bad about your saw. My personal preference is Stihl but have always held Husky in the highest reguard. Worked along side many of them. Never seen one score a cylinder. I'm guessing what happened would have something to do with the above scenario.

Gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

Tom

I frequently cut along the grain when splitting big logs.  The chain cuts faster than cutting end-grain.  I'm sure my Husky 61 gets hot. It gets worked pretty hard. I've never had a maintenance problem though.  I use the bucking teeth but don't use excessive pressure.

When splitting a log, I try to keep the bar as close to parallel with the bark as I  can.  The wood comes out in long strips rather than chips and I frequently stop and clean them from the sprocket area.

When I work the saw hard like this I add a little more oil into the gas than usual and make sure that it is fresh hi-test.  

My 61 is a hard worker and I'm real proud of it.

Larry

I wonder how much EPA has to do with hot running saws?  I run a 272XP Husky pre EPA but know the 372XP is running a leaner mix and probably runs a lot hotter with less emissions.

Maybe Dennis or somebody that knows what they are talking about could stop in and enlighten us.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

blue_eyed_devil

I think you have a point Larry and I hear it may get worse.I think the EPA wants to see catylic converters on saws in the future.

MemphisLogger

Blue_Eyed_Devil,

Call Husky!

You're shop is feeding you BS. There's no reason you should be having problems with your saw as long as you've run 50:1.

40:1 would get you low performance, lots of smoke and fouled plugs.

I burnt the rings on my Husky 55 ripping a 48" diameter oak log at 7 months and my dealer did all the work under warranty.

Call Husky!  

Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

blue_eyed_devil

Well that's good ,In my opinion, our Prince George B.C.dealer won't even "go to bat" for his customers.
The other thing I don't like is the fact I HAVE to go to him to buy a Husqvarna saw.According to him, he has the exclusive right in this town of over 80,000 people.No other store can carry the line.
Funny thing is, they sell thier saws online IN AMERICAN DOLLARS.!!!
//www.summitpowertools.com/promotions.htm

I tried to contact Husqvarna on thier Website ,but they have yet to respond.

Gus

I always broke saws in on 40:1 for 1 gallon , Then changed out the plug and ran 50:1. Did plenty of cutting with the grain and never had any problems but the saws do get hot. i eventually learned that a regular chain ground to 10 degree's was not so hard on the saw and always keep one around if I'm going to cut with the grain for any length of time.

Personal opinion. I think your working with a shyster. :-X There is no reason husky wouldn't back up that new saw. They've always been an upstanding company from what everyone has told me.
gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

blue_eyed_devil

Other than sawing one 14' beam on my newly built sawmill (with a new Oregon rip chain).I've been running Oregon 91-VS on a twenty-one inch mini-pro, notching and fitting my logs.It's by no means, an aggressive chain.
Thanks for your advise, but I've been searching the web and can't even find a Husqvarna rep to contact.I agree, Husqvarna make a great product, otherwise I would never have spent that much coin.My 262 is getting close to ten years old and it's been awesome.
I hope they did'nt think should  put the 395 in a glass case if I wanted it to last!!!!

David_c

blue_eyed_devil

That link is toast,could you re-post it?
Thanks David  ;D

David_c

blue http://international.husqvarna.com/node1339.asp then husky worldwide select country hope this helps.

TJACK

I am not trying to open a can of worms here but these are the facts that I have been given.  My two local dealers, one sells Stihl & Husky and the other just Husky both told me to run 40:1.  The ONLY reason they, the MFG tell you to run 50:1 is to pass the EPA requirements.  The guy who owns the Stihl Husky shop is a full time logger running a 6 man crew and does not sell pre-measured 50:1 bottles in his shop any more do to scoring issues.  I have talked to Husky myself and they have told me 40:1 is better, just adjuster the carb (but I didn't tell you that).  EPA stuff is why we now have 4 stroke outboards, snowmobiles and 50:1.  

TJACK  

David_c

hey tjack i never see 40:1 where can you get it or do you mix it differently :)

blue_eyed_devil

Hey David
You can pick up large graduated plastic
syringe at Walmart called the "MixMiser", made for measuring/mixing 2 stroke oil with gas.
I just bought one.I think they are about $3 US.
I have a bunch of 50:1 pre-measured bottles to use up so this little gizmo makes things easy to accurately measure 40:1 mix. ;D

David_c

jokers

To mix your oil and gas at 40:1 using 50:1 premeasured bottles, add 2 gallons of gas instead of 2.5, or 4 instead of 5 gallons depending on the size bottle you have.

All of my saws run at 40:1 with no fouling or excess smoke. I ran Husky oil at 40:1 for quite awhile until it was all gone then switched over to Mobil MX2T synthetic. Now everything is clean as a whistle and the oil costs no more than the Husky black bottle when I buy it at Auto Zone. They also sell a handy bottle for measuring the correct amount of oil to fuel for about $3.

Russ

David_c

thank you russ that seems eiser 8)

Thank You Sponsors!