iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bucking with a new Stihl 660

Started by Adamj, September 06, 2003, 06:57:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adamj

This is my first post to the forum.  I was fortunate to discover the form several days ago.  I am impressed with the wealth of knowledge available here.  I am picking up a new Stihl 660 (28" bar) this afternoon, along with some new safety gear (chaps, protective shirt, protective gloves).  I have always endeavored to remain safety conscious.  Accordingly, I have always worn my Sthil safety helmet, chaps,  and protective steel toe boots.  I am cautious of not exceeding my abilities and training.  Although I have years of experience bucking and delimbing small trees for firewood (12" or less), I have no experience on larger timber.  This brings me to the cunnundrom.  I have come across a 70+ foot old growth cherry tree that had a limb damaged in a wind storm.  My friend would like the tree removed.  However, I am not competent to fell this large tree.  I have hired a professional to fell and delimb this tree.  I bought the Stihl 660 for the express purpose of bucking and ripping this tree.  My Stihl 029 doesn't appear to be an effective saw for this task.  I would appreciate any further direction and input regarding the  task of making this large tree ready for a log splitter.  There will be some large pieces at the base of the tree (39" base).  Your input and expertise is greatly appreciate.

Kevin

Adamj;
Welcome to the forum.
The first thing that comes to mind with bucking a tree of that size is the potential for stress in the tree on the ground and the amount of end bind,shear and torque that could be encountered when you cut into it.
If you understand how these forces will affect what you do to this tree it will make the job much safer.
Large trees on the ground have maimed and killed many unsuspecting woodsmen.
You should also consider having a cant hook on site and use some limbs or pieces of the top to keep the large sections off the ground when bucking them into smaller pieces.
A come- a- long, good rope and wedges would be handy to have on site also.

shopteacher

First, Welcome aboard.
Second; If that cherry is a healthy tree I think you will be doing yourself a great disservice cutting it into firewood, if that is your intention. Cherry is a valuable material and some beautiful funiture could come from the amount of wood that could be harvested.  Cherry selling between 2.50 to 5.00 a bd/ft could reap a lot more than cord wood. Just guessing a yield of 1500 bd/ft from the log could bring in a lot of cash not to mention the shear waste of burning such beautiful wood.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Oregon_Rob

As kevin said. Pay attention to how the log is laying and understand what forces are on it before you start a cut.If you search OSHA, and chansaw you will find some stuff that explains what we are talking about and for sure use wedges and keep your 029 handy for when you get your 066 stuck. Oh yeah, Nice saw choice, would like to have one myself.

Rob
Chainsaw Nerd

Gus

Welcome to the forum,
Shopteacher took the words right out of my mouth. Would be a shame to cut that tree into firewood. Been in the business along time, never seen cherrywood that big. Beautiful stuff. When I was in the woods full-time we used to save them as small as 6 inches. Always somebody ready to take them off our hands..

Yes, watch that big girl she be in a real bind in some directions after a fall like that. Watch your curf and the log. Listen to your saw. Lots of tell-tale signs when it starts to work against you.
Good Luck, Gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

Adamj

I appreciate all the advise.  I have read and printed the OSHA material pertaining to chainsaw safety and technique.  I have considered the highest and best use of this lumber and weighed my options.  I suggested that my neighbor sell the timber rather than give it away.  However, my neighbor is not interested in that avenue (he has atypical views on many issues).  Understanding his mentality, I would be reluctant to suggest that he allow me to use the tree for anything else than heating wood.  He offered the tree as a blessing to me, as I heat my home all winter with a wood/coal burning furnace (I am rebelling against the propane supplier).  It is highly likely that he would recind his offer, if he found out that I intended to profit from the lumber.  Enough said about that.  

I picked up the saw this morning.  I am humbly impressed by the power.  Makes my 029 seem rather feminine.  

AtLast

WOW!!...ALL EXCELLANT advice...I agree with them all....good job  8)

woodmills1

066 is about as cool as it gets for chainsawing.  Just rip that log into quarters, take it home and we will be right over to slice it into lumber. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!