iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oil pump adjustment

Started by ohsoloco, September 19, 2003, 10:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohsoloco

This morning I decided to sharpen my chain and do a little maintenance on my Jonsered 2165.  I also wanted to turn up the flow on my oil pump, but I can't seem to find the adjustment screw.  The section in the owner's manual that shows a picture of where to adjust it is a close up, and I can't figure out where exactly on the saw it is.  I looked all over that thing, and just can't find it...anyone know where it could be  ???

Gus

"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

Tom

If it's similar to my Husky 61, its behind the bar, under the bar cover.  If I remember right, it's been a long time, I had to take the clutch off to reach it.

ohsoloco

I think you are probably right, Tom.  When I had the bar and chain off there was a picture of a chain tooth with a drop of oil over it, and a + to the left (counterclockwise) and a - to the right...this was right below the clutch.  Looked all around there for a screw, but didn't have any luck  ???   I'll have to take the clutch off sometime (although I've never done this before  ???) and see what's in there.  

Kevin

Some models were fixed without any adjustment but I don't know about that specific model.
If it's in the manual it should be on the bottom of the saw and you shouldn't need to remove anything to get at it.

Kevin

ohsoloco

I knew from the manual that it does have an adjustment on it.  Just got back from the club a while ago, and decided to take the clutch off to see if I could find the adjustment.  Only lost one part in the trash can  ::)  After digging that out I got stuck...or better yet, the clutch did, and I couldn't remove it.  While looking it over I noticed a screw on the bottom of the saw where the adjustment was...didn't even have to take the clutch off.  Oh well, I just LOVE rooting through the trash for needed parts  :D

Kevin

It wouldn't hurt to remove the clutch every now and then to grease the bearing.
More frequent in wet conditions.

ohsoloco

Hmmm, I'm not real familiar with chainsaw "innards", but what I will call the drive shaft has a little hole on the end of it, and my saw came with a little grease gun...the book says to put a pump in every refuel (of course it doesn't get done quite that often).  But, it seems like more of the grease comes back out of the hole than anything.  I also learned today that there are two holes in the bar sprocket at the tip that also take a squirt of grease from the gun...what you learn from reading the manual again  ::)

Kevin

There aren't many saws that have that shaft feature.
My Husqvarna 262 has it but most of those holes are from the machining process and don't take grease.
That's definitely a bonus.

ohsoloco

Well, now I'm not sure  :-/   I just went back over the manual, and the only reference to using the grease gun is for the bar sprocket.  For the needle bearing, it only says to use high quality bearing grease.  I know when I greased the bar tip, I KNEW that a lot of the grease went in there...I could feel it, and of course see it come out around the chain.  Sooooo, should I remove the sprocket, drum, and needle bearing and give it some grease?   Exactly how do you lubricate the needle bearing?  Just take some hard grease and spread it on  ???

Kevin

Depending on how much and what type of use the saw has had should determine how often to grease it... spreading it on.
If you aren't sure it doesn't hurt to check it.
If the chain drive sprocket is worn then it's a good time to change that as well as long as you aren't using a badly  worn chain .

ohsoloco

How do I tell if my drive sprocket is worn  ???

Kevin

ohsoloco

So, according to that article (thanks for posting it  ;) ) you don't want to put a new chain on a worn sprocket...but is it okay to replace your sprocket and still use old (but still good) chain?

While I had the saw in the shop tonight running the file over the chain, I pulled the needle bearing off and greased it.  It seems like it is a hole for grease in the shaft, but a good bit of grease from one pump with the gun still squirts out  ???  I'm not sure what this lubricates, but it isn't the needle bearing, cuz it was dry when I pulled it out (after a shot of grease in the hole).  

Minnesota_boy

Putting a  new chain on a slightly worn sprocket is OK.  Putting any chain on a  badly worn sprocket is not.  Putting a worn chain on a new sprocket accelerates the wear on the new sprocket as the chain is stretched slightly and the sprocket drives it with only one or 2 teeth, putting more strain on the sprocket.  All that being said, sprockets and chains are pretty cheap, so I never lose any sleep over it, and put whatever chain I have handy on whichever sprocket is on the saw, until the sprocket shows plenty of wear.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Oregon_Rob

New sprocket every couple of chains. Also if you get a chain that has messed up drivers, toss it.
Chainsaw Nerd

Thank You Sponsors!