iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

372 Husky ROCKS!!!!!!

Started by Corley5, September 24, 2003, 08:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

Cut some firewood with my new (new to me) 372 last night and man does it CUT 8) 8) 8) 8).  I'm impressed.  I used a friends a while back and liked it but after cutting with this one last night I was really impressed.  It'll scream.  I can see how with a little souping up it'd run with a 395.  I did have to use my 395 to rescue the 372 after I got it pinched.  395s are still hard to beat but I don't plan on cutting much firewood with it this year.  
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Oregon_Rob

Couldn't agree more, love my 372. I bought mine used also.
If you haven't considered it yet, might I suggest that you open the muffler up and you will notice a nice power gain. Let me know if you need details.
 8)
Chainsaw Nerd

David_c

love mine to (sweet) 8) 8) 8)
Rob how do you open up the muffler.

Oregon_Rob

There are two options that I am familiar with. One is to simply order a new muffler from walkers saw shop, in BC. The other way, which I chose, is to cut a slot through the front mounting bracket and front of the muffler. The nice think about doing it through the bracket and muffler is that you can place a spark arrestor screen in between the bracket and muffler.
Here is a link with details.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4243&highlight=muffler+372

It makes a noticeable difference. If you do decide to make the modification, you may have to re-tune, (richen up) the carb. By opening the muffler, thus reducing the back pressure, it can cause the saw to lean out a little.

The only downside to making the modification through the front I have found is when milling, the exhaust tends to blow back in your face. I made a little deflector bracket that now directs most of the exhaust down. I did not notice the exhaust blowing back at me while bucking.
Chainsaw Nerd

GAV64

I have an 8 year old 272 would the same modification work on it, don't want to blow up the saw, still starts easy and runs smooth.

Oregon_Rob

I have not messed with a 272, but being only 7 years old, the muffler most likely is restricted. If you can get a hold of Dennis, he can tell you for sure. He builds custom saws and will know and probably has opened up 272's.
Nothing like makeing the saw you already have, 20% more powerful!
Chainsaw Nerd

Thank You Sponsors!