iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what can i get out of my unwanted forest?

Started by Loren, October 11, 2001, 04:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loren

I have this land.  About 100 acres exactly.  I was woundering what that 100 acres would be worth.  It's just about all pine, some oak--20-30" thick, pines are anywhere from 15-20" thick.  I live in southern MICHIGAN.  Please someone tell me the worth of my 100 forest. 8)  ;D ::) :P

John_Boisselier

You posted that you wanted to know what your trees are worth.  Are you interested in an offer on those woods?  Let us know what your plans are for them, and maybe someone can help you out with them.  Value is strictly dependent on what is there in terms of species, quality, and volume, and consequentially the available market.
The Woodsman

woodmills1

land and what it grows can be a tough call.   what has worth for some has none for others.  at 100 acres, unless it has been cut recently is should or might have valuable material.  i have seen oak at 30 inches that wouln't make a good board.  growth lines so far apart it was that big at 60 years.  then i have 100 year old 10 inch trees.  great lumber but no circle mill will cut them.  too small they say.  with the woodmizer i cut two clear 4" and two 6" then get almost 6" quartersawn.  a few burn pieces and some bark.  contact woodmizer to see if there is a cutter like me near to you. :P
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Ron Wenrich

What you need is a timber inventory and appraisal.  Get a good consulting forester to go in and give you a detailed look.  You may be surprised to see how much it is worth.

A good consultant will tell you whether it is worthwhile to do an appraisal or sale by an initial walk through.  And, it depends on what your intentions are for the land.

If you are looking to sell the timber, a consultant can mark and manage a sale.  Or he can give you the inventory and you can sell it.

You may even find out that it is worthwhile to continue to grow those trees.

A list of consultants, loggers and sawmills can be gotten from your local state forestry official.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ron Scott

You need to contact the local Conservation District Forester, Michigan DNR Service Forester, Industrial Forester, or a  professional consulting Forester serving your area to look at your property and provide you with an appropriate appraisal based on your location and landscape.

There are a number of professional Consulting Foresters serving the southern Michigan area.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!