iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Feller Buncher Teeth- Saving money and Time Rebuild

Started by WeldingEngineer, September 21, 2010, 07:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WeldingEngineer

Ok... Hears the deal.

I'm doing a Technical Report for my 3rd Year Welding Engineering program at school. I am looking at doing the project on rebuilding the teeth using welding methods, or heat treating them to make them more resistant to impact. So im basically looking for two things. What do operators and owners look for when selecting a tooth and what would they hope for in the perfect tooth. And has any one heard of or tried to rebuild these teeth before.?

James

Randy88

I don't have as of yet a feller buncher but I do have grinder that uses teeth comprible to a feller buncher tooth, I've designed and made my own teeth, I saw several problems with the current teeth and most are designed towards to company making them cashing in on sales of repeat business.   I've known several operators who have rebuilt a couple of teeth designs and basically it wasn't cost effective from what I saw, they didn't have the setup to do large scale rebuilds and it coulnd't compete with large scale manufacturing of new.   I like teeth that are through hardened not case hardened and am not real impressed with the square tooth design of some of the cutterheads out there.    Don't know if that helps you or not but if your doing the research I'd have to tell you theres a big market for an better idea than whats currently being used in my opinion.   I could help with the idea of the rebuild and how to go about it but I still don't know if its cost effective or not to be done and afterwards how that would affect the hardening process and the durability of the tooth in general.   

Thank You Sponsors!