iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood sales

Started by Ed, September 23, 2010, 12:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

Since I'm in Mi., and have way more EAB Ash then I can burn, I would like to sell some as firewood, in log form. Currently Ash is going for $45 to $50 per face cord, I've got no desire to sell it that way.
I'm thinking $20 per face cord in the log, I'll load for free or "you" can process on site. Log delivery isn't an option. Logs are clean, minimum dirt (one end only, if any), minimum rot/ants, stacked off the ground. I've got no problem making up for bad wood. All logs will be stacked at the landing. The buyer will see exactly what they are getting.

Am I being reasonable on pricing?

Ed

pasbuild

Fire wood is selling for $55 a cord roadside up here so I would say that your right in there.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

beenthere

How does that compare to pulp wood prices?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Gary_C

I'd say you are reasonable on price, but are not going to get many takers because of lack of the service most customers need and want. And most of the people that have the ability to cut on site or haul logs away will also have the ability to find about the same thing you are offering for free.

Bottom line is firewood markets are more about providing service than wood.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Corley5

Hundred inch hardwood pulp is bringing 45-50 dollars a cord on the landing up here.  Have you thought about the liability involved with having someone processing logs into firewood wood on your site? 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ed

There will be a liability waiver.  ;)

Ed

Ron Scott

I see some of this happening here where the logger has an over supply of unmarketed pulpwood/firewood decked on a convenient landing for a period of time. They have allowed firewood cutters to process their own pickup loads of  firewood on site at the landing as long as they are well out of the way and not conflicting with there ongoing operations.

The liability issue needs to be addressed before hand.
~Ron

bill m

Quote from: Ed on September 23, 2010, 11:22:14 AM
There will be a liability waiver.  ;)

Ed

It doesn't matter what kind of waiver you have, you still will be held responsible and can be sued. Just ask any ski area.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

mad murdock

the only fail safe liability statement is similar to the placarding that is required in most aircraft " warning:failure to operate this aircraft in accordance with the approved flight manual will result in personal injury or death". Note that it uses the imperative verb, "will" rather than the conditional verb "may".  Where there's a lawyer, there's a way around any waiver, I'd bet.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

fuzzybear

This is the way that I've been selling firewood for about 2 years now. The customer picks up the wood in 8' lengths and loads it onto their truck/trailer.  I only sell in full cords, no face cords.  I do not allow any cutting on the landing by customers because my camp is about 60 miles to the nearest doctor and 300 miles from the nearest hospital.
   When I first planned on selling this way every one said I would never sell anything because of my location.  Well they were wrong.  90% of my customers used to cut their own wood.  Now instead on spending 3-4 weekends to get their supply of wood they spend 1 day and get the exact type of wood they want.  I have cut and sold 300 full cords so far this year and have orders for 400 more.
   Well as I was typing this, I got a call for 20 more cords.  Snow is only a couple of days away.  Temps are around +5c in the day and -10c at night.  It is going to be a LONG, COLD winter.   8) 8)
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

beenthere

Quote from: bill m on September 23, 2010, 01:35:22 PM
It doesn't matter what kind of waiver you have, you still will be held responsible and can be sued. Just ask any ski area.
Not in WI, as I understand. A law changed that several years ago, as it was causing fear in anyone having cut-your-own Christmas tree farms, pick-your-own gardens, ski resorts, and other recreational endeavors. But if one is in error (like failing to put the net up when someone is released in a free fall at a thrill ride), can be held liable.

So I'm thinking Ed would be ok. But I'm not a lawyer, and believe Ed should have some liability insurance same as everyone. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bill m

Cutting firewood would not be considered a recreational endeavor in the eyes of the courts. If he had everyone sign a waiver and someone got hurt and took him to court he might win. But I'll bet the cost of his lawyer will be a little bit more than that cord of wood he sold.

TimRB

As it happens, I was just talking to a lawyer about waivers a couple days ago.  He said waivers are only useful if they're printed on very soft paper.  This is California, though, so YMMV. 

Tim

bill m

I've seen that paper before. It's made by Charmon and comes in rolls. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!