iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

024 av, 038 av super and 621

Started by smith2bj, October 31, 2010, 09:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smith2bj

I am looking for a limbing saw and I currently have a 2171 which is an awesom saw.  I know that the o38 and 621 are older and big but if they are the right price I dont want to pass them up either.  having another saw is not a bad thing.  I am familiar with the 026 but not the 024.
the prices are
024 av-165
038 av super elc. quick stop-250
621-150
looking for you oppinions

Rocky_J

I have no idea what the 621 is (what brand is it?) but the two Stihls you mentioned are both 35 year old saws. Seems like a lot of people here have an affinity for buying antique saws for the purpose of regular use instead of buying something 30 years newer. I don't understand it. Would you buy a 35 year old car to use as your daily driver if you could buy a 5 year old car for about 10-20% more money? Which one do you think is going to break down more often, and where are you going to find parts for a 35 year old machine? Which one will still have value in 5-10 years?

Those prices sound high as well. Sounds like full retail at a saw shop.

Gary_C

That 621 is a Jonsered and one of the best and last full metal case saws  they made. I bought a new one in the early 80's and some migrant workers stole it out of my shed and left a couple of other of my saws behind.

So that 621 is a good one if it has been cared for but about 30 years old, heavy and no chain brake. In it's day, it was the best saw I've ever used.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

tim in New York

I had an 024 about 25 years ago.  I really liked it for cutting tops and small logs.  That said, it is the only Stihl saw out of at least a half dozen that I've owned that had a major failure. Trying to squeeze the last dribble of gas out of it to finish a cut, I seized the engine.  The cost to repair it was almost as much as the cost of a new saw - so I bought a 026 demo from the dealer.

I would take a hard look at a new ms 180 for $200 before paying $165 for a saw that old.

Tim

ladylake

A MS180 will be real gutless compared to the other saws mentioned.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

SawTroll

The 621 is by far the most interesting saw between those - but it is not suited as a limbing saw!  It is a heavy saw designed in the 1960s, and will weight right with your 2171, if the bar is the same!

The 038 is a lot newer, but even heavier - so just forget it!

The 024 is the only one suited as a dedicated limbing saw, but a bit low on power vs. more modern alternatives.
Information collector.

Bill Gaiche

I purchased the 211 last fall and have used it as a limber and small trees up to around 16". It has really been a good saw thus far. Turns up a lot of rpm. I would buy it again to go with my 361. bg

Al_Smith

Quote from: SawTroll on November 05, 2010, 02:40:31 PM
!

The 038 is a lot newer, but even heavier - so just forget it!

What is this "heavy" you talk about all the time like it weighs a ton or something ????

FYI an 038 Mag weighs 14.6 pounds the same as a 460  .A 576 huskey is 14.55 pounds .What , about 4 cc's  that seperate them and they weigh about the same . So a 362 is 13 pounds but if a pound and half wears you out ,you need more Wheaties .---Wheaties and Budweiser the breakfast of champions ya know . ;D

Now trust me I have some heavy saws  but an 038 is not one of them .

Mad Professor

Get the 038 , it will make you a burly man, if you limb a lot with it,  and you can buck tress with it too!

Thank You Sponsors!