iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buck ninety eight dual tooth setter

Started by pineywoods, November 06, 2010, 08:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flatrock58

Well I finished my Pineywoods dual tooth setter mod today.  Only thing I did different is I put the dial indicator back on the left side and offset it a little so I could check the set while I tweeked things.

2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

coppolajc10

Nice job!  Did mine too about two months ago, so much faster!

Ljohnsaw

OK, but why stop there.  The jaw looks long enough, why not 4 tooth (two each side)?  Then your setting time will cut in half again!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Nomad

Quote from: ljohnsaw on April 13, 2015, 07:59:54 PM
OK, but why stop there.  The jaw looks long enough, why not 4 tooth (two each side)?  Then your setting time will cut in half again!
Left, right, Raker.  If you try to set 4 at a time you're gonna have some issues there...
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Deese

Just got home from visiting bushhog920' s setup. He has a brand new cook's dual tooth setter and oh my oh my...super nice....I've got the single tooth setter and will probably never use it again. He's about 10 miles down the road and I can sharpen mine and swing by and set my teeth with his....cuts your time in 1/2 at least....but wow its $$$$
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Stephen1

Another resurrection of an old topic,
I am in the process of turning my single tooth setter into the #pineywoods dual tooth setter.
I purchased a micromontor to measure the set of the teeth. I have never owned one before. I measured my blades from the back, and it tells me my blades are .056 thickness, i only ever buy blades .045. Is it me or the unit?
I have tried the unit on drill bits and it is accurate for a1/8 drill bit, 0r 3/8 , any size it is accurate, but on the blade from the back it shows .055 or .056 or there abouts. Not what i was expecting. When I measure the set of the tooth, I get .075 or there about.
Is it me, or is it the unit? I have tried measuring new blades with the same result
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

GAB

Do you still have the box the blades came in?
If so, what does it say?
I always thought that the set was the amount the tip was pushed over.  
If it is set .075" and it is an .045" blade I do not think it will saw very well, 
however I've never tried to saw with that kind of a set-up.
Something does not sound right.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Stephen1

I called Brian from Woodmizer Canada, he tells me I only have ever bought .045 blades. I have never bought .055. 
If I deduct the .075 from the .055 I get a .020 set, which is what I like on the hardwood blades, a 9 degree blade.
When I check my older 10 degree blades I get a reading around .082 which would mean i have a set of .027 , which is good for sawing white pine.
is it possible the inch scale on the meter is wrong? did the little guy from China have the wrong numbers in it? 
This is bugging me to no end. I have been measuring everything ... ::)
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

pineywoods

Dirt, sap, rust, etc on the blade will throw the reading off. What's important is the difference between the blade thickness and the tooth. Sounds like yours are right on.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Stephen1

Thanks pineywoods, thats what i'm thinking. 
Accept what I have and get on with making the dual tooth setter. 

barbender

It sounds like your micrometer needs zeroed out. I just use a cheap digital caliper from Harbor Freight. It's kind of a pain to measure set this way, but it works. I just zero the digital caliper out on the thickness of the blade, then I can measure the set tooth directly without doing math in my head. This is good, because math in my gead doesn't work so well😁
Too many irons in the fire

Stephen1

I agree. I will zero out the callipers on the blade and then measure the set. I hope to install the extra tooth setter this week.
I wanted to upgrade all my sharpening equipment, but in the great white north, we don't get the sale on sharpeners and setters.
I will upgrade my setter and order in a CBN grinder. 

barbender

You Canucks get it stuck to you a lot. I cringe whenever I see your prices, I was looking at Eastonmade log splitters made up in Canada somewhere, and the price in Canadian dollars for you vs. in U.S. dollars for me was very signifigant. More than $1000 on a $4K machine if I remember correctly. 
Too many irons in the fire

Stephen1

Oh yes we do Barbender, 
when the dollar was close to par, I bought a new truck in Pennsylvania and brought it north along with a new Honda ATV. I saved 10,000 Canadian on the truck and 2500 on the ATV. Honda would not recognize the warranty in Canada, but Toyota would recognize the warranty. We had lots of uproar along the borders up here and in the northern states, among the dealers and manufactures.
Free trade was good as long as it was manufactures and dealers and such benefiting , but as soon as the little guy got to reap some benefits...LOOK OUT,, not allowed.

Thank You Sponsors!