iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Garrett 10 Skidder pics

Started by treetech, April 03, 2011, 06:35:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treetech

OK I think I have the gist of this. I am just having trouble inserting comments. Pictures are the best part anyway.
This is the old skidder I have been asking questions about. I finally cleaned all the tools and crap off the old girl and figured it would be a good time to try and post pictures.
I made a couple of engine guards, tightened up the steering, added an air filter, general maintenance. Removed a homemade cab and made a seat. Put a full gallon of rearend fluid in the front pot. Lots left to do. I wish it would warm up so I could do some painting!

bushmechanic

Love the pic's and boy is that an old timer!

Stephen Alford

Great job treetec, if your ever up on the Baltic in Clyde River drop in for a coffee.  :)
logon

thecfarm

Man I like those pictures.
Adding comments are easy.Put the link in,than hit the enter key a few times,

like this to drop down away from your pictures.You did that part all ready.Just type where you want,hit the enter key again,add a picture than hit the enter key and add your comment. You can preview and see how it's all looking by the way too. You can make it look real pretty,just the way you did,before posting.
Now get that going and post some pictures with some wood behind it. Motor looks like I've seen it before.What kind is it?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lumberjack48

Beautiful old girl, these ole girls made history, good pic's tech, the one in my pic is a younger sister to yours, i'm sure its the same motor [ Ford Industrial ]

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

treetech

Bushmechanic: Thanks! It's 60s era.
Steve Alford: Thanks! I would love to see some of your inventions and modifications. the coffee would be a bonus. :D
Thecfarm:Thanks for the info on how to post comments. Loading the pics was easy after watching Jeff's video. (Thanks for that Jeff) I put comments on the pics in my gallery and thought they would come up on the post. I know better for the next time. The engine is either a 172 or a 134 Ford industrial gas. I am still a bit away from getting to the woods just yet. The winch is still in pieces in another building.
Lumberjack48: It just might be your skidders Grandmother! ;D

barbender

I love that simple little machine, you can't even buy anything like it anymore.
Too many irons in the fire

treetech

It's pretty basic and easy to work on, but it survived, so it must be tough.
With the trend to smaller scale forestry operations it would be nice if someone started manufacturing something like it, but they would probably have to charge an arm and a leg for it.

mad murdock

Very nice Treetech!  great looking Garrett!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

thecfarm

treetech,they do make a small one.
http://www.awassos.com/home.html

Seems like a member has one.Yes,pricey,but what ain't.
For what I do a Garret would suit me fine. I just play around now,mostly firewood.I knew I recognized that motor.I have my Father's NAA 1954 Ford tractor.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mad murdock

Quote from: thecfarm on April 04, 2011, 12:07:03 PM
treetech,they do make a small one.
http://www.awassos.com/home.html

Seems like a member has one.Yes,pricey,but what ain't.
For what I do a Garret would suit me fine. I just play around now,mostly firewood.I knew I recognized that motor.I have my Father's NAA 1954 Ford tractor.
You can always build your own machine, if you have that NAA ford, take off the front tires, make the rear tires the front of the skidder tires, and build a rear end and make a center pivot, put on a winch and blade up the front, and away you go.  That is how alot of the old machines started, as tractors, modified into skidders.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

thecfarm

Never thought of that.But that old tractors has alot of memories in it.I could never do that to it.  But I could buy another one and cut it up.  ;D  Just means so much to me,even though I just have it stored in a building.

treefarmer87

nice! i would like to find one to fix up
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Taylor Johnson

Very cool old skidder. TAylor Johnson

John Woodworth

My 10 is the same vintage as treetech'a it was new in 1964, they are amazing little machines only 7' wide and wherever the bbade will go through the machine will go through. the mdl. 8 winch will handle anything the machine will pull and then some. the enging is not what you saw in dad's Ford tractor, it's a totaly diffrent motor, mine when I rebuilt it I double sleeved it back to stock bore (done by machine shop, these are not the same sleeved mtr as the tractor mtr.) and am running Chevrolet floating piston, I had the cam reground to specs of a RV grind and it will out pull a 15 for HP but not for traction. they are wonderful machines for gradine and finish grading, run forever on a tank of gas and with care never break down.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

redlaker1

treetech,   it looks like your machine has a different system for the hydraulics than mine.    my pump is belt driven off the front pulley and is mounted up on the right side of the engine.
does that have some kind of flex coupler joining it to the front of the crank?

mine also has different rims and doesnt have the extended range racing fuel cell.

I like the engine guards,  and it has a nice set of tires there and a nice looking machine

Bobus2003

Theirs one of these or a machine very very similar too it sitting in Deadwood SD.. It looks to be all fixed up with a nice yellow paint job, with green rims.. i'll try to get a pic of it when i go to work in the next few days

treetech

redlaker1
You can see that someone added a pump to the front of the machine and connected it with a jack shaft. Seems to work pretty good.

beenthere

Can you grease the u-joints?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

treetech

I haven't tried yet but it shouldn't be too bad with the belly pan off.

Thank You Sponsors!