iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

belsaw, help needed for how to setup for hydraulic or ?

Started by shelbycharger400, August 04, 2011, 10:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbycharger400

im looking for direction, help in properly setting up the belsaw for full hydraulic

Currently plans are in the next year or so for this belsaw as im still building my slab mill.

story is, this very little used 78? belsaw  with a 40 in insert tooth, with full feed is all belt drive,  and has a 20 something inch flatbelt pulley.   well currently i have a 50's case dc4,  being only 35 hp,  im just going to put on the loader on it.
In the garage i do have a 95 dodge neon motor,  the wiring ,  and i have a standard rear wheel drive belhousing (wiring up the motor is no problem for me) .  should i just adapt and keep it all belt drive,   i thought about making a large pulley with wood center, steel plates outside, i have access to a lathe that swings a 14 in chuck on it.  Other option is going full hydraulic.   what parts needed ect?  not shure on speed of the hydro motors,  the gpm needed on the feed pump ect.

bandmiller2

Shelby,You would be better driving the mill with the old Case as it would have the kind of torque you need on a circular mill plus it should have a governor.An auto tire and rim makes a passible big flat pulley.You may run into problems with a log turner on your Belsaw,problem being the light duty carriage,you can't just flip the log/cant over on the carriage.Belsaw instructions are all over the internet, make their recommended flip up log turners their as fast as most mechanical turners and will save your carriage from an early death. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

shelbycharger400

i plan on making an overhead gantry for loading and such

buildthisfixthat

in my opinion ...that neion motor does not have the torque or hp you need .at least 50-hp diesel up to 175-hp gas engine for that blade to sail through a 15 inch cut through a oak log ...as for hydraulic motors you need one simliar to drive the track on a excavator and a 90 -120 hp engine to drive the hyd pump thats a costly endeaver 900.00 hyd motor used and 900.00 for the required hyd pump 900.00 for hoses,valves,ect
shop built bandsaw mill

shelbycharger400

this motor is 150 hp,  but i do have another one (stratus) that i built thats a turbo in the range of 250-300 hp .   im not too concerned about a govenor right now,  i can do air bleeds , or a light throttle linkage with presets.  Its all fuel injection.   peak hp is around 3-4000 rpm on the 150 hp motor.

jimparamedic

Horse power and torque is not the same and also alot of factors go into what kind of power is needed there is alot of info on this site on setting up a mill do some searching and you will find more knowledge than you will know what to do with

D._Frederick

Cut the tips off of half the saw teeth and use your case tractor should saw OK. My dad and I sawed with a Farmall M cutting fir, not fast, but by the end of the day there was a nice pile of lumber.

Thank You Sponsors!