iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bought a new saw

Started by c_silva88, September 01, 2012, 12:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c_silva88

so I've been running my ms290 for the past year and a half and probably got over 300 cords and a few log loads on it but it wasn't really liking all the bigger trees on my new wood lot so i went to my local stihl dealer and was looking at new saws and ended up walking out with a brand new ms 660 with a 24 inch bar for a little over 1000 with tax.
on the way home i get a call from land owner who's property i walked a week ago and got told i have the go ahead to start cutting the property mid this month so that made my day that much better.
MS660
MS290

Buck

Sounds like a good day all around. Put up some pictures of your project. Thats beautiful country around there.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

ladylake

That 660 will get heavy fast, a 460 might have been a better choise,  Both are way ahead of a 290.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

cuterz

lumberjack48

Hes a young man, if hes not strong now, he will be   8)
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Al_Smith

Well now 300 full 4 by 8 cords of cut up firewood is something in a year and a half especially with a 290 .Maybe not a record but a darn good amount .That would equate to 600 full size pickup truck loads .

pdoubleu

Congrats! Let the chips fly!!!

drobertson

the 66 is a beast! I had the 460 til someone wanted it more, I went back to the 362, I am not a logger, but would rather have the 460 for what I do, but if I were falling timber, it would be the 660. At 23 years old, man all I can say is wish I were there again! I did some TSI for a short spell this past late winter, and I bout put me down.  Not my land I was hired in. Good fun work, just lots of hills and plenty of cutting slash/  for logs the 660 is a beast, not much on husky stuff except a fellow falling timber for me now has one and it is a beast too. Nothing beats good technique and horse power.  Happy for you! Keep an eye on it for sure,,  Have a great labor day week end.  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Full Chisel

You got over on the dealer about $200 in the black. I think you made out good. Last MS660-25 here was $1239 Tax included.
Jed: Jethro, how's come they ain't no ice in Kali Forni-a?

Jethro: Don't look at me Uncle Jed. I didn't take it.

Buck

Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

lumberjack48

Here in the Chippewa National Forest a will tuned sharp 034 is what i fell timber with. I fell for two skidders a lot of the time.

300 cds, thats an average of 1.2 cds a day, thats pretty easy to do. I sawed up wood for people once in awhile, depending on the wood, dirty or clean, sawed 6 to 10 cords a day.

My oldest boy sawed up 20 cords of Oak firewood in one day. I had to drive over to the guys place where he sawed it up, i had to see it with my own eyes. The guy only offed $300. to saw it up, i told Jr that wasn't enough, he took the job anyway. When he got done sawing it up he didn't want to pay him, he said no man makes that kind of money in one day. [ He got his money] [1987] He was running a Husqvarna, i don't remember what size, Jr was 18
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

jDal

c_silva88

been running the saw for the last few days the first day was the worst weight wise but now i used to it all i can say is wow i went from my ms290 to the 660 and i knew there was gonna be a power difference but i was blown away with how much more wood i can put down in the same time frame. the land owner I'm working for now gave me his 046 cause he couldn't get it to run it ended up being the fuel line. i got it running and offered it back but he said to keep it he said he would be lucky if he ran 3 tanks of fuel through it since he he had bought it , so my saw collection keeps growing lol.
MS660
MS290

s grinder

Mine MS660 is two years old,i run a 32"bar with a skip tooth semi chisel chain,have a stump grinding business and use  it for cutting down stumps,don't run it every day but when i need it it's there.It really seem to wake up after about 10 tanks of fuel go thru it.Some really large stumps i cut down into fours like a piece of pie then cut across,saw can really cut even when ripping.I upgraded to a high volume oil pump because of the long bar and type of work i do.I am very happy with it.Good luck.

Thank You Sponsors!