iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

041 Farmboss still going strong

Started by gspren, December 20, 2012, 04:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

I have a 041 that I bought new 30 plus years ago and about twice a year I like to run a tank through it to keep it going and today was one of those days. The gas in it was fresh last March when last run and it ran OK on it today but it only takes about 20 minutes running before my hands start to get numb which is why it sits so much. I keep it so that when someone wants to borrow a saw thats what they get plus I think it would be great for a Lewis winch if I ever find one cheap. Now it will probably sit quiet again for a few months.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

drobertson

the 041 farm boss, my first saw, and I forgot about the vibe! It was'nt until I ran the 038 super that I knew I would be looking for another saw.  Good memories of the 041,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

rooster 58

I had one of those for years. Sold it for 225.00 ;D Then I bought an 044. That was an awesome little saw :christmas: ;)

gspren

Quote from: rooster 58 on December 20, 2012, 05:52:09 PM
I had one of those for years. Sold it for 225.00 ;D Then I bought an 044. That was an awesome little saw :christmas: ;)
I also bought an 044 about 16 years ago and it is my main firewood cutter but as said above I kept the 041 and last year added a 261 for smaller stuff.

lumberjack48

My first 10 yrs of logging was with no rubber mounts, the 621 Jonsered  was the first rubber mounted saw i ran.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

sawguy21

I liked those 041's, lightweight ( for the time) and lots of grunt. I am a lot happier now with something more modern.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

steve phillips

shoot i still have a 041 fb use all the time . has a bow blade on  it .
i buy all the scape ones too for parts
if its not broke dont fix it !!!!

old 030

JuniperBoss

"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

bandmiller2

I've got a 041 farmboss that is almost new given to me.Best I can describe its like driving an old lincoln towncar compared to the sports cars we use now. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

JuniperBoss

Yes, saws are so fancy now-a-days. And safer, too.  smiley_hardhat
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

gspren

Quote from: old 030 on January 12, 2013, 04:50:36 AM
cut_tree splitwood_smiley

gotta love the 041!!! ;D
If mine would be the AV I would probably still be using it regular, I wonder when they made the change or were they made at the same time. My Farm Boss is NOT anti vibe!

old 030

not sure when the av's came out, i'm thinkin around 1968, still pretty old though, i love the early 041av's, but i've got my share of non av's as well fire_smiley

beenthere

Purchased my 041 Farm Boss new 1975. No anti-vibe on it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

gspren

Since most of you know more about my 041 FB than I do am I correct in thinking it would do well as the power source for a Lewis Winch?

sawguy21

I started in a Stihl shop in 1975, both versions were available at the time although the av was more popular.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

old 030

just thought i'd share, i saw an early stihl ad listed on ebay, it shows that the av was new for 1968, lucky guess i my part, it was the "boxed carb" version av model, also, both av and non av models were sold at the same time, i have a 1981 full line sales brochure that shows both models even then. fire_smiley

rooster 58

Man, I remember my 041. It was a helluva a saw, like a tank compared to the new ones. I used it for years and then sold it for 225.00 and bought an O44 :)

old 030

Quote from: rooster 58 on January 17, 2013, 02:25:31 PM
     Man, I remember my 041. It was a helluva a saw, like a tank compared to the new ones. I used it for years and then sold it for 225.00 and bought an O44 :)

can't go wrong with the 044, i also have a ms440 that was ported, it runs absolutely insane, very fun to run, but must be very careful when doing so......... ;D

rooster 58

Yah, that O44 was awesome too ;D I cut alot of firewood with it and cut my teeth on logging with it also ;) Now i run a 460 and 660 on big uns

mmartone

I have an old 041av I got about 20 years ago from a friend. That 25" bar is a little to much for it, gotta go easy when cutting. 3-4 pulls with the choke on and she fires up. Added a factory chain brake to it last year.
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

old 030

Quote from: rooster 58 on January 18, 2013, 09:55:03 PM
      Yah, that O44 was awesome too ;D I cut alot of firewood with it and cut my teeth on logging with it also ;) Now i run a 460 and 660 on big uns
i've got my husky 2101 and old school 076 for the big uns, how's things up in the forest?, its been about four or fives years since i last played around up in the national forest, been through your town on several occasions, i usually camp around the kelletville area...... fire_smiley

JuniperBoss

Let's see how the current saw manufacturers are doing with the new Stihl Ms290 Farm Boss.

JuniperBoss

beenthere

JB
And that pic is which saw? The MS290?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!