Sponsors:

John deere 440a winch

Started by shantie, January 31, 2013, 06:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shantie

My winch will only free spool when the engine is at higher rpm's

Looking for some trouble shooting advice

Doug mclean

Well the brake releases with a hydrolic  cylinder  maybe try changing the filter for the winch posibly that is partially blocked causing you to have low pressure ?

thenorthman

If its pulling strong then you might just need to adjust the brake a bit, or check yer hydraulics,
well that didn't work

shantie

I replaced the oil filter, this did not fix my problem. 

duckslayingpro

On this style winch the filter wouldnt have anuything to do with your freespool problem. Flow is backed up from the valve. as long as you have a spool valve which you should have on an a model. there is a small screen filter inside the bottom half of your winch that could be partially clogged. that would be the best place to start as long as you have checked your band to make sure it is binding somehow. these are fairly simple winches to work on.

Rob-IL

The valve that the winch operating cable goes to has a acorn nut, take it off and turn the screw in 3/4 turn or so and then try it.
I grew up around logging but chose to be a heavy equipment mechanic for several years. Later in life my interest changed so my cousin and myself went into logging on our own in 1988.

Thank You Sponsors!