iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Does anyone saw sweet gum?

Started by LaneC, November 23, 2013, 08:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Kipper on November 25, 2013, 06:27:33 PM
Any idea how long to leave it "under wraps"? I am going to store it in my attic over the garage.

I would not do that.  no_no
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Kipper

Dry warm air circulating around it with no threat of rain... What am I missing? ???
LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger
Too many trailers to count and all Stihl Saws!!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Kipper on November 25, 2013, 07:18:27 PM
Dry warm air circulating around it with no threat of rain... What am I missing? ???

It may mold on you from not having enough ventilation. When mold starts and goes through the board.....it's over.  smiley_crying

To be honest....I've not seen your attic. But most attics don't have enough ventilation.

Kipper

Yuck !! Good point.. Time to rethink... >:(
LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger

WDH

I agree with the Old Geezer.  Not enough air flow. 

Like Bear Claw said in Jeremiah Johnson,....."Didn't put enough dirt down.  I saw it right off."   :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

smiley_old_guy    Besides....if you put it in the attic, the concrete truck wouldn't fit.  ;D

WDH

You would have to tear out the gable end to get the truck in there. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Rockn H

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 25, 2013, 07:20:53 PM
Quote from: Kipper on November 25, 2013, 07:18:27 PM

It may mold on you from not having enough ventilation. When mold starts and goes through the board.....it's over.  smiley_crying

To be honest....I've not seen your attic. But most attics don't have enough ventilation.

If you really want to store it in the attic, buy a couple $15 box fans and they should keep the air moving enough to prevent mold.

dboyt

How much sweetgum?  It may not seem like much when you carry it up one board at a time, but figure 5 pounds per bd ft (green).  500 bd ft=2,500 pounds.  Stickers spaced 20" apart for 1" thick boards, with 4" under the bottom for circulation should be about right.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

scsmith42

Generally speaking an Attic is a good place to store dried or partially dried hardwood lumber, but not green lumber unless it is 1) in the winter when the temps are cooler and 2) has some gentle air flow.

Once the lumber has dried below 35% MC, you should be ok with stacking and stickering in the attic, but it will dry faster with some air flow.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: dboyt on November 27, 2013, 10:35:09 AM
How much sweetgum?  It may not seem like much when you carry it up one board at a time, but figure 5 pounds per bd ft (green).  500 bd ft=2,500 pounds.  Stickers spaced 20" apart for 1" thick boards, with 4" under the bottom for circulation should be about right.

Don't forget that is a lot of weight that the attic is not designed for. :-\ :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

MSSawmill

For the record, we cut up a big sweetgum that had been down for about a year. Milled it into a bunch of 1" stuff, stacked it, and let it finish drying in the barn. Didn't have a single one twist on us. Used it for lathing on the roof of the barn, and going to use it to build some shutters for a friend's house.
Home-built bandsaw mill
2004 Kubota M110 with LA1301 loader

Magicman

Yes, the bigger the tree the better your chances are of getting more stable lumber.  A 30"+ log is much different from a 12" log, and the heartwood colors will be much more dramatic. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dboyt

Here's another, earlier thread about sweetgum that might interest you.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,67556.20.html

Good luck with it!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

mesquite buckeye

I'm thinking that this could be one of those logs that do better if you let them lose moisture in the log before you mill it. This helps with other crazy grained woods. The trick is knowing when it has dried enough to be more stable, but hasn't started to crack or degrade. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

LaneC

Man makes plans and God smiles

Kipper

Heres an update to one of the slabs from this post early on. I put some pipe legs under it this weekend and it seems to work pretty good as a bench.
LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger

Kipper

Sorry, here are the pics...
LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger

blade69001

Nice looking wood there Kipper. I had no Idea, Now I am itching to go cut down a buddies tree he wants down so I can saw it up for him.
Sean P.
Just being me, But it is ok you do not have to like me.

Okrafarmer

What is wrong with you characters? I love sweetgum! Once you understand its perameters, it is very easy to mill, dry, and work with. We were building benches out of it this weekend. I have more trouble with cherry, persimmon, and sycamore. The biggest secret I know? Don't bother milling any sweetgum logs that are smaller than say, 14" on the small end. Get rid of all bark and pith. Enjoy the rest.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!