iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grate air temperature.

Started by r.man, January 23, 2014, 09:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r.man

Don't think I have asked this before and if I did I don't remember so I will ask now. Does anyone else keep track of the air temp coming out of their forced air heating vents with an OWB. I have a slab coil in my oil furnace plenum and I track how my OWB is doing by the air temp at a grate. I am interested in the maximum temperature other people are seeing. I like mine to be at least 100 F and I have seen it as high as 108. I would like to confirm that this is in the normal range. I now keep a temp probe inside the duct that feeds the grate but in the past I have laid room thermometers on the grate to get a reading.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

thecfarm

A good question.And one I have never checked. I really don't think I have a thermometer to check. Maybe I can get one from the Dollar Tree.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

yellowrosefarm

I bought an infared temp gun to be able to check temps all through the system. Water out of the boiler, water into the heat exchanger, out of the the exchanger and at the diffuser (grate) in the floor. If my water at the stove is 150, typically the air out of the grate closest to the exchanger is 140. As the distance increases, the temp drops. Upstairs air temp out can get down to 90, even though I do have insulated ducts. It works out fine, though, as all the heat from 2 floors down is rising anyway. I have found that closing 2 of the 4 grates on the 3rd floor keeps it from getting too hot up there. In the summer, I open those back up and close most of the ones on the first floor for A/C

Corley5

I've got thermometers on the in and out of the distribution manifolds on my radiant heat.  One system goes in at 180 and returns at 170 the other goes in at 180 and returns at 165.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

chevytaHOE5674

Finally remembered to track down a couple of thermometers and place them in various grates around the house. Stove is at 170° and the air coming out of the forced air vents is between 140 and 150 depending on which grate I measure at.

John R

The air temp at my registers runs 122°F, that's forced air from the OWB coil.
John

Sthil MS 361 20" Bar
Sthil MS 260 PRO 16" Bar
Oregon 511 AX Chain Grinder

Thank You Sponsors!