iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Professional Advice Needed

Started by John Vander, May 26, 2014, 11:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Vander

I was asked by the dept. of education where I teach to check out a big oak tree (Quercus serrata) standing next to a small path that leads up a steep hill. This area is used for recreation and also for school kids. Since a part of the tree fell away to what I suspect to be root-rot one year ago, I was asked to check of this tree poses any danger. (Some time ago a little girl's skull was crushed by a huge branch that fell on her head north from here. Since then people finally woke up to check for dangerous trees and dead branches.) It would be a waste to cut down this old fella, so if any other way is possible I would like to hear from you. In case the tree needs to come down, I need to mention that no heavy machinery can reach this place and all felling needs to be done manually.

Tree and saw accidents nullify years of forestry experience.

beenthere

John
Any large dead branches in the tree?
Is it flush with healthy, green leaves or are they with a yellowish cast?

Am wondering why the part that fell a year ago hasn't been cleaned up? A low maintenance location?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thenorthman

golly thats a tough question...

Different continent/island so judging what it supposed to look like compared to what it does look like is difficult, if not impossible.

However it doesn't look like a happy tree to me, looks like there has been damage in the past in the main truck and possibly several stems grown together.  All bad things, not necessarily the death of a tree, but they do weaken it.  And since its already lost one of its arms then I would go ahead and take it down or do some serious trimming.

Now if you need a big noisy saw and can swindle two round trip tickets out of the school I'd be happy to drag my big big saw out there and have some fun with it!  Just be sure to clear me and the saw with customs...
well that didn't work

HolmenTree

John, from the amount of decay I see in that tree it's time for it to be removed, especially standing beside a walking path.
Probably no solid hinge wood could be attained for felling control, so I suggest just a shallow open  face cut notch be made and proceed to back cut and let it go down hill.
30°slope is fairly steep so great care would be needed in delimbing and bucking it up.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

John Vander

Gentlemen, thank you for all the replies. This tree did suffer damage in the lower trunk many times over due to a bunch of old guys that go there to cut the grass every year. Using engine powered circular saw blade mowers they alway dig the blades into the lower trunk. I think this is one of the reasons disease entered the bole. I also think the town should have cleaned up that fallen tree long ago. The area is really tough since the tree slid down a very steep slope. There seems to be a lot of healthy leaves in the tree, but need to go back and inspect it for die-back in the crown just to make sure.

John Vander

Quote from: thenorthman on May 26, 2014, 11:42:29 PM

Now if you need a big noisy saw and can swindle two round trip tickets out of the school I'd be happy to drag my big big saw out there and have some fun with it!  Just be sure to clear me and the saw with customs...

Would be nice to do some logging with you! :D ;D I'm afraid they might fire me and hire you instead! :D

Ianab

Tree can still be vigorous and growing with all sorts of funky decay happening inside.  I'd be concerned about the whole thing splitting in 1/2 from that crotch and 1/2 the tree following the piece that's already split off.  If it was hanging over a track my kids used I'd be taking it out.

Of course if it's got a lot of dead branches and poor leaf growth up top, then you can be sure it's got problems.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

CCC4

I think I would be more worried about the dead snags in the far background of the first pic. If I'm reading the wlk path right, those snags present waaay more danger than the sick oak. That thing could live several more years I bet...not to mention the slope and lean will take it away from the path.

If you cut that tree, be prepared for that dude to start moving around when you face it. The internal damage combined with the growth seam from the lower leader can cause some movement and pinching. I would start my face there, have that cut before you continue your initial cut. My reasoning for that is if you face out the more solid side and come across and finish your face in the growth seam, that tree is going to shift and pinch your saw. Don't worry about a pretty stump because most likely the tree is going to leave early and that is actually a good thing. Just get that joker down the hill. Can't see the top weight but from what I can see it looks pretty straight forward downhill.

I would nip both corners and minimize your back cut...assuming the heart is compromised as I am pretty sure it will be. The reason I am saying both corners is due to you don't want to have your near corner left with holding wood and possibly turning the tree and setting down on your bar.

Not seeing all the damage, I am sorta thinking I would just leave it be for now. I would go down the path and cut those dead snags though. Be careful facing that tree out if you do decide to cut it...I promise you that growth seam can and will pinch your bar. BE CAREFUL

John Vander

A lot of good info coming out of this. thank you very much. That growth seam did worry me. As for the die-back in the background: These trees have been neglected for decades. There are also NO climbing arborists in Japan. :(

Thank You Sponsors!