iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How many bands

Started by Inwoodsman, September 08, 2014, 06:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scully

I try and get as many as I can ! I think I have about 40 now . Keep in mind certain bands for differant types of wood etc. It's like drill bits better to have a pile of em ! If you get a new mill start off with a new box of bands .....
I bleed orange  .

gimpy

Do any of you use a metal detector on your logs as a normal procedure?

I'm a new owner (used LT40) and haven't made any sawdust yet.

For those like myself, I will be sawing mostly pine. How long are my blades likely to last? I'm not going to be a member of the million BF club anytime soon but I will be trying to cut all my lumber for building my home, outbuildings, fences and such on my pine filled property.

Just got back from Woodmizer getting my mill checked out and will not be able to fire her up for about a week. But I have 2 boxes of (15) blades (actually 30 + 3 blades) and now I'm wondering if when I get going if I should have a few more boxes. Re-Sharp (with replacement) for me is about a week turn around.

How much pine can a woodmizer blade cut if a woodmizer can cut pine? (If you catch the reference)
Gimpy old man
Lucky to have a great wife
John Deere 210LE tractor w/Gannon Box

WDH

I expect 500 to 600 BF from a blade on my manual LT15.  You can get more BF per blade on a hydraulic mill with more HP.  The key is to only saw clean logs or run the debarker on the LT40 if it has one. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Chuck White

In White Pine, I usually saw around 800 bf before blade change, but consider anything over 500 bf satisfactory.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

gimpy

If I understand this correctly, what we're talking about is as an example, a 14" small end by 14' length is 100bf.

So a blade will cut from 5 to 8 of this size logs. Now that is something I can understand.
Gimpy old man

backwoods sawyer

One or two saw per day
average twenty logs that size
or 2,000 bft a day
seems to be more when Little Jo is sawing as she puts me to log and lumber handling while she keeps the sawdust flowing ;)
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

gimpy

So you might go through 2-4 blades a day?

Just trying to be able to estimate me needs.

I appreciate the help. I'd love to meet Little Jo someday. I'd bet she and my bride would have some fun.

Thanks
Gimpy old man

terrifictimbersllc

Trim off a half inch from the front end of a log when it looks dirty.  The gritty end of a dirty pine log (think "sandpaper")  can dull the blade before it ever enters the log. Debarker doesn't help with this.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

YellowHammer

Gimpy,
Congrats on the new mill. 8)  Your burn rate on bands will be slightly higher in the beginning as you go up the learning curve and get a feel for the saw and sharp blades. Also, the inclination will be to run sweet cutting bands too long and get the most out of them, but that is very hard on them and really shortens their life.  On the other hand, every now and then a new or reshapened band will not perform well out of the box and the inclination will be to force and push it.  Other things like feeding too slow, pitch buildup, best blade lube/cleaner for the species you are milling will also take a little time to get dialed in. 
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

NCForester

I do portable custom sawing for people in Western NC.  I currently have about 300, with about 50-60 dull ones that will get sharpened when the weather turns bad.

backwoods sawyer

Thirty saws is a good number to start with and will cut a few piles of wood. Can alway add another box if you seem to be short on saws.
When you signed up for resharp did you opt for the keep full plan?

We will have to take you up on that cup of coffee next time we are in the area. Right now we are piling up the sawdust all around the willamette valley ;D

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

gimpy

Thank you for the help. Yes I opted for the keep full option. Will be getting my first delivery with one replacement in a few days.

Keep your blades moving.
Gimpy old man

Thank You Sponsors!