AVAILABLE

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: couple pics... post what your currently cutting  (Read 362736 times)

moodnacreek and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
Re: couple pics... post what your currently cutting
« Reply #2700 on: May 22, 2018, 06:08:43 PM »
If I had to guess it’d be in the 6.5 to 7 foot range on the butt where the head is for height. If you were cutting that with a 32” bar you’d be cutting a block for a face and a small window to finish your back cut.
What is the size of the younger replacements?
Liking Walnut

Offline OH logger

• livin the dream
    • Share Post
« Reply #2701 on: May 22, 2018, 08:38:03 PM »
what species is it??
john

Offline Skeans1

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2702 on: May 22, 2018, 09:27:12 PM »
Douglas fir, to diameter of the thin it can very greatly from 28” down to twigs our goal is to leave the best healthy stems vs a defective large tree.

Offline Ken

• Forester
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #2703 on: May 23, 2018, 06:30:10 PM »

Although I'm sure I will never have an opportunity to work in a stand like this it was a pleasure to walk through.  It was mostly spruce located in a park in Kuopio Finland.  I was with a group last week touring the Ponsse factory and some seeing some forest demos.  Those folks have their act together with respect to farming their forests.  Very impressive trip.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #2704 on: May 24, 2018, 06:25:13 AM »
Finland is neat.  Worked there for a year in Oitti at a forest research center and got to travel through Finland quite a bit.  The intensity is high but at risk due to the transition away from paper products which has hurt Finland both from products but as well from support of the paper industry (they make paper machines, pulp plants, etc).  

Ken, Ponsse is a small company, right?  They are doing well in the US, why is that?   We are still looking for a used forwarder and everytime I see a Ponsse the price seems to be at a premium.  At auction they have sold for much lower but there may be reasons for selling them at auction and the low price.
Liking Walnut

Offline Skeans1

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2705 on: May 24, 2018, 06:39:33 AM »
Ponsse isn’t that small of a company say like Rottne, price is because they cost more new then say a Deere, Komatsu, Rottne. Their big deal is suppose to be service but if you’re not near one of their dealers normally factory stores I’ve heard it’s not good at all, our store is 3 hours south of me and there’s a few sets up here. I’d love to see how long the one around me lastest because their guys put stuff through the ringer to put it nicely. Here’s one of their Clear cut sides 

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #2706 on: May 24, 2018, 07:04:11 AM »
Well the pricing is premium that's for sure if the quality is there than I can see it.  They sure sell some machines in the US.  
Liking Walnut

Offline Skeans1

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2707 on: May 24, 2018, 07:14:59 AM »
I haven’t ran one but theirs guys we know that have and from their mouths say there’s no quality difference. Take a Komatsu forwarder theirs no exposed hose from the boom to the rotator, Deere you have the leveling rotating cab, Rottne is just dirt simple under the cab. To each their own but they aren’t on top of my list for a machine.

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #2708 on: May 24, 2018, 10:37:11 AM »
Ponsse is popular around here because of the parts and service departments. Many crews have switched from other brands after waiting days and weeks for parts and troubleshooting when ponsse generally has parts on the shelf and makes things happen when a service call is needed. The deere and komatsu dealers arent even close to the same level.

I've ran deere, komatsu, timbco/fabtek and Ponsse and I would rank the Ponsse higher in operator comfort, uptime, accuracy, productivity, and lightyears ahead in parts and service. 

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2709 on: May 24, 2018, 11:03:06 AM »
There's several reasons our company runs all Ponsse machines, but parts and service is #1.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline Ken

• Forester
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #2710 on: May 24, 2018, 07:45:04 PM »
Ponsse is popular around here because of the parts and service departments. Many crews have switched from other brands after waiting days and weeks for parts and troubleshooting when ponsse generally has parts on the shelf and makes things happen when a service call is needed. The deere and komatsu dealers arent even close to the same level.

I've ran deere, komatsu, timbco/fabtek and Ponsse and I would rank the Ponsse higher in operator comfort, uptime, accuracy, productivity, and lightyears ahead in parts and service.
Well said and I think the service and parts supply issue changes from place to place.  Without trashing any particular brand at the same time I'm shopping I've heard some horror stories lately about the service support from some supposed reputable dealers in my relative area.  Although their machines may be of high quality it means nothing to the contractor if he has to wait roadside for days to get support.  These expensive machines need to be productive day in and day out.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2711 on: May 29, 2018, 11:01:06 PM »
 I assume alot of you guys are flat out busy as well, just not enough time in the day. Got her moved the other night just before dark. 

This landowner is a really decent guy, I wish they where all this easy to get along with. Cleared for my header today. 

Ash....Ash.. and more Ash 🤣 go 500 ft out into the woods and it's never been hammered. Buyer from Wagner called me the other day... DESPERATE... Told him it will be a cold day before they buy wood from me again. 

I dont know about you guys but I have the worst luck, then all of a sudden the switch turns. I'm probably an honest 5mil ft out right now, Get the store open and heading to MI for iron. 
 A couple guys have PM'ed me asking me if I'm open, I get home so late I'm sorry I havent responded. Wanted to be open last Saturday, getting close, probably 10days or so, insides done and 100%, finishing up the last of the dirtwork and getting the pumps squared away this week. So far I've made deals with Pepsi, Garelick farms, Boars head, Utz chips and a couple other vendors, spend big money for 20-30% return. 🤣 Our grand opening is June 30th if anyone is driving by, I will be there swinging ice cream cones, we had to run 4 cases thru the machine to test it, gave away about 500 ice cream cones so far 🤣 

I'm all about making money but theres a line, I watched all my local stations jump .10 for the holiday but gas went up .03 over a 7 day period, if people knew sometimes how bad they where taking the shaft on fuel. 👎 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #2712 on: May 30, 2018, 12:54:44 AM »
The terminal raises the price the second that wall street says brent crude is up for the day.  But they dont lower it until they have fully sold off that inventory and have refilled at the new lower price.
Revelation 3:20

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2713 on: June 07, 2018, 11:20:14 PM »
Nothing good to say, cut wood when I've got time. slow going but still getting it done. 

Finch wants pulpwood but the price isnt there. I told the buyer I've got 100+ld bought ahead and he thinks 1.50 a ton is huge motivation. 🤣 

Firewoods going to be hard to come by this yr, no ones sitting on big piles, I'm going to drop a couple jobs on the ground when I get done in Altamont and just leave it lay in case. 

I've got to bite the CTL bullet at somepoint, small headers, no huge mess, run a man ragged running 4 machines trying to hump wood out. 
Finished my storm water nightmare today finally. 🤣 I cant cry to hard because they paid me to do my own work but it's still a job, most people have no clue in NY what happens when you disturb over 1acre, soon they will start enforcing the whole state.

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2714 on: June 08, 2018, 06:51:13 PM »
even here if over one ac is going to be stumped need an impact study done 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #2715 on: June 09, 2018, 09:30:53 AM »
Here everyone has the good sense to know the impact will be less shade, more grass and a pile of stumps.  They done studied it already.

;D

(Not to suggests its just another NYS wealth transfer scheme...)
Revelation 3:20

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
    • ehpsaws.com
« Reply #2716 on: June 09, 2018, 04:48:33 PM »
Barge, about the same here for me . You can work 14 days a week and most want you to do that but I can feel Im getting played out pretty good so I got another week or so and then boys Im going fishing

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2717 on: June 10, 2018, 09:51:14 PM »
Barge, about the same here for me . You can work 14 days a week and most want you to do that but I can feel Im getting played out pretty good so I got another week or so and then boys Im going fishing
It's getting old quick, 10pm last night, 9 tonight. I just shake my head when I hear people say they "cant find work", I'm losing jobs I can't go fast enough. We took on more than we should have, down 2 employees, 1 will come back, 1 isnt even 40 and was recently diagnosed with stage 4 cancer so we are spread thin. 

Offline dustintheblood

• Home in the woods
    • Share Post
« Reply #2718 on: June 11, 2018, 05:06:23 AM »
Same here.  Ran the processor till 11pm last night and was up and into my office for 3am this morning.  Will be back on the machinery before noon and run it till I drop.
Case 1494, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln, plus other toys - cause well - gotta have something to play around on

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
    • ehpsaws.com
« Reply #2719 on: June 12, 2018, 07:57:59 AM »
Im thinking today maybe my last day on this job, 8) 8) 8). I should b fishing by next week , I hope so or maybe just sleeping . been up sense 2;30 this morning doing stuff

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
First post and a couple of questions

Started by peter nap on Ask The Forester

20 Replies
Last post December 05, 2007, 06:24:18 PM
by Jeff
xx
first post and a couple of questions

Started by billy_wizz on Timber Framing/Log construction

8 Replies
Last post November 15, 2014, 10:18:25 AM
by Heartwood