iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

Quote from: Bert on January 29, 2015, 07:05:21 AM

Heres one from yesterday. I took alot of snow down the back for a few sticks!
cant be leave how much snow you got there  those small tires are the best in snow  my buddy has a 240 jack with those small tires bald  and wore out chains and will go where mine wont with brand new 18.4-34 and new chains so I just leave mine on main road and he bunches to me

CX3

Quote from: Autocar on January 29, 2015, 07:07:45 AM
CX3 your a lucky man thats two fine looking boy's, I bet it is alot of fun having them tag along. Be safe guys !

Ya they get their looks from their momma ;D ;D ;D

Thanks
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

okmulch

Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

Dave Shepard

There's a lot of nice timber in these photos! I don't know which I would saw first, that big white oak, or the big pine behind Maine logger88's 'Jack. 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

so il logger

Trying to keep this thread going, Ill have a pic or 2 of the junk I been cutting on here by saturday evening.

longtime lurker

The first job of this year .... once the rain eases off, which will be a month or three away will be another run into this block.
Just a couple of pics I grabbed while waiting for the dozer to walk down the road before Christmas. It'll give an idea as to the size of them, plus what the last guys left behind.

The last crew through here were cutting sleepers (ties to you lot) so they banged them off in ten foot lengths and left the rest behind. I'd say rot, or burn, but these things will be lying there for the next hundred years yet because it doesnt rot and mostly wont burn. Crashing off some of them stumps with a skidder or dozer in the long grass ain't much fun either. :'(

The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Skidder Kev

WOW lurker that is some big timber.   Can you salvage those old logs that are lying around?

so il logger

I been cutting junk pin oak for the past 2 days. Should finish up monday and moving to a good tract with some large sweet gum.

longtime lurker

Quote from: kculler on February 14, 2015, 08:50:44 AM
WOW lurker that is some big timber.   Can you salvage those old logs that are lying around?

We can. The last harvest through there was around 30 years ago, but there's been 2 category 5 cyclones hit in the last 10 years, the second of which (2011) laid a lot of timber over in that place and also killed a lot of standing trees (too much salt in the air maybe?)

The dead standing stuff we'll take on a case by case basis, as with the down timber we bounce into. Sawlogs offcuts like the one pictured I'm not real interested in: none will be over ten foot long and there's limited demand here for stuff shorter then that, and it's going to be pretty much seasoned by now. Y'all hear us Aussies brag on how hard our timber is right? The dead standing stuff will be starting to tighten up after 4 years, but that thing and the others like him would be better cut with an angle grinder.  :D I'll try one or two to see because he'd make a good pile of 4 x 4's.... But I suspect the mill won't like them much.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

chevytaHOE5674

Currently cutting a private 80 acre tract of decent hardwood. The logger in me is happy because we are clear cutting decent sized sawlog hardwood timber ($$$$), the forester in me cringes because I know it may not be the best silvicutural decision. But its what the landowner wanted and if I didn't cut it then somebody else would have. 

lumbertick

Those piles are a little rough looking... My forwarder guy would kill me if my piles looked like that

chevytaHOE5674

Was clearing out for the dozer to come in and push a road in. By the time the forwarder got to those piles there was 2+ feet of snow on them so neat little piles would have been lost and forgotten.

RayMO

A mixed bag for me this week Less 3 tri-axles with pup loads. Red oak, water oak, Bur oak, Ash, Hackberry and a couple of Maple.Quarter to half mile drag so we kept the little 440 B kinda busy.
Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

lopet

Looks like that new to you 440 is earning its keep.  smiley_thumbsup
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

treeslayer2003

almost forgot this thread, been in here two weeks.

Corley5

Northern hardwood thinning sugar maple and basswood with a little beech, soft maple and ash.  The beech and ash that aren't marked also come out due to EAB and Beech Scale.  Those sticks are separated and scaled by the DNR forester. 

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Corley5

Loading 10 cords of hardwood pulp that will be firewood for someone.

Basswood pulp

It was cold that day.  We've been working an abbreviated schedule because of the cold.  I'd rather let the equipment rest than have a cold related breakdown.

20+ cords of basswood pulp ready to roll.  It's going to LP in Newberry.

Ken

Nice looking forest Corley5.  I also think I've mentioned before that I don't envy you guys having to cut your pulp 8'.   Those 4 roller heads eat the hardwood much nicer than my waratah dangle head.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

wannaergo

Nice northern hardwoods thinning. This was a patch where 3-4 log quality trees were marked and cut.
2016 Ponsse ergo 8w
2014 Cat 564
Husky 385

Stephen Alford

Thanks to all for making the effort and taking the time to post all the great pics.

A lot of hardwood thinning has been done here over the years both domestic and in the woodlot. This is one I walked last spring, the work I did here was over 25 years ago.  :)

logon

lopet

Thought you be dealing with more snow in MI.  Thanks for sharing the pictures Corley.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

so il logger

Thanks for the pics corley, DanG nice equipment  8)

Corley5

Quote from: lopet on February 15, 2015, 02:10:55 PM
Thought you be dealing with more snow in MI. 

We don't have much snow here this winter  8) 8)  It's not knee deep in the woods but it's been cold enough.

so il logger

Here's another older pic. From last fall, the job that these logs come off of is within a mile from my house and is 120 acres. But it's kind of a swamp and had to pull off because of wet weather. There will be more pics when it dries up ;D

barbender

I truly envy you folks with the nice hardwood, we have red oak, hard maple, basswood, and white birch (a little yellow birch too, but it is rare enough I don't think I've ever seen a stick of it cut), but it is only in small pockets that it grows into quality timber. Our climate is a bit too harsh for most hardwood species, and we are on the edge of the range of many of them. I have been told by some guys that saw for grade hardwood markets that our hardwoods, when they do grow into quality timber, are some of the finest due to the slow growth rates.

Here's what we've been cutting lately, about as far from quality hardwoods as you can get-

Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!