iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Shed

Started by bigD, February 23, 2015, 09:30:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigD

Well we were having a pretty mild winter here is Southeast Missouri until the bottom fell out a week or so ago.
I had been spending most of my time working on a shed for my mill and woodworking shop.
I have an old 16x40 Chicken house that is probably 80 years old or so.  I thought I would try and save it.  You all know what a chore it is to make something square out of something that is not.
So anyway here is my progress so far.  I did get the roof back on before the snow fell.

Magicman

You have made some nice progress in restoring/utilizing that old building.  The saw shed will be nice.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bigD

One More Picture.  Sid my little helper.  He climbs up there all by himself and just sits and watches me work.

bigD

Thanks MM I have done 90% all by myself including cutting the trees and sawing them.
Its a lot of up and down a ladder and improvising ways to hold things up but it's good work.

mesquite buckeye

Saving and reusing old buildings is cool. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

drobertson

that shed project is looking good!  no doubt that is a lot of work, especially for one pair of hands,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

78NHTFY

Nice looking project there--always good to see a restoration...And not to worry about making things square that aren't: what we say around here is "can't see it from my house!" :D :D.  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

bigD

Thanks folks. I just hated to tear down that old building. I have a real nice barn behind there that is my next project. 

barbender

Good on ya for saving that old building, BigD. Think about how much time and effort went into building that, even if it isn't square ;) I saw a quote in a "Fine Homebuilding" magazine once (they are pretty bug eyed about energy efficiency, green building, and 'saving the earth'), the quote was along the lines of, "the greenest house is the one you already have". Point being, it's better to improve and upgrade the existing structure, rather than building a brand new one to attain energy efficiency. It takes so much energy to produce all the new materials, and put it all together.
Too many irons in the fire

ely

that is some fine work you have going on there.

Chuck White

You've got a real nice sawshed coming there BigD.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

brendonv

Id give alot to have a building out back like that. Awesome.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

dean herring

Thanks for the pictures BigD. Looks like your knee is better. I am setting by the fireplace watching the sleet come down reovering from hineria surgery. Your shed looks good keep the pics coming.
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

47sawdust

bigD,
The bones of that old building look good as well as the foundation it sits on.You will have a fine time with that.I went to college for one year at Rolla,spent too much time studying malt beverages and ended up the next year at FT.Leonard Wood.That was in 1966.That part of Mo. is really nice.
Have fun,
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

SPD748

You've got an awesome start to what I'm sure will be a very nice shed. Like others, I really like the old re-purposed buildings. I have an old barn that I really wish were on another location on my property so I could do the same thing. I can't wait to see the progress and finished product!

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

kczbest

Like the rest of the guys, I like that you are making good use of an old barn!
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

bigD

Quote from: dean herring on February 23, 2015, 03:14:03 PM
Thanks for the pictures BigD. Looks like your knee is better. I am setting by the fireplace watching the sleet come down reovering from hineria surgery. Your shed looks good keep the pics coming.

Yeah Dean, I thought for sure i was in for surgery and a long lay up.  Went to the Doc and he said lets try a cortisone shot.  Holy cow it has worked wonders.  I hope it keeps staying good. 
wishing you a fast recovery.  Guess if you have to be down, winter is the time.

bigD

Quote from: 47sawdust on February 23, 2015, 05:19:56 PM
bigD,
The bones of that old building look good as well as the foundation it sits on.You will have a fine time with that.I went to college for one year at Rolla,spent too much time studying malt beverages and ended up the next year at FT.Leonard Wood.That was in 1966.That part of Mo. is really nice.
Have fun,
Mick

Well I kinda did the same thing Mick.  Spent 4 years in the Marine Corps, got out with the intention of getting my degree in wildlife management and Forestry.  My flying itch hit me (along with tuition cost) and I ended up spending 19 years in the Army flying Helicopters and airplanes.  Your ever down this way give me a holler. Dave

bigD

Quote from: drobertson on February 23, 2015, 09:57:03 AM
that shed project is looking good!  no doubt that is a lot of work, especially for one pair of hands,

It is a lot of work but sure beats sitting in front of a TV. I;m gonna get over there one  day for a visit.  It's almost river fishin time.

drobertson

you bet, saw some very nice pics from a friend that went on a winter float, not sure on the fishing now, but soon, (I hope) still covered in about 5" of snow that has now hardened off, can hardly walk on it, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

schmism

so were you limited in the length of your new rafters?    I think i would have run the new roof a bit farther up on the old roof to give myself a little more pitch to play with.   

Do you plan on useing the rest of the barn in your sawing operation?   Having a planner or edger setup in it?   If so how do you plan to move material from the shed side (were the mill is) to the rest of the operation?    EG whats your layout?
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

bigD

Quote from: schmism on February 24, 2015, 03:12:09 PM
so were you limited in the length of your new rafters?    I think i would have run the new roof a bit farther up on the old roof to give myself a little more pitch to play with.   

Do you plan on useing the rest of the barn in your sawing operation?   Having a planner or edger setup in it?   If so how do you plan to move material from the shed side (were the mill is) to the rest of the operation?    EG whats your layout?

Yes i can only cut 16' and i needed the width.  We don't normallly get much snow and it usally is gone in a few days.  As soon as the weather breaks I will finish the lean to on the side and start on replacing floor joist and siding it.  I will put a 6' sliding door on the mill side of the wall and another wide door on the end to move material in and out.

Thank You Sponsors!