iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Brought home my new to me LT35

Started by Southside, March 10, 2015, 10:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

So yesterday I went and got my new to me mill.  Did not get back until quite late and was beat so did not have time or the energy for photos, got home a bit before dark tonight and was able to throw an cedar log onto it.  This ugly cedar tree was standing dead and I tossed it to the side probably a year and half ago, just could not bring myself to cut it into kindling.  For giggles I measured the log - 70ft international, and the boards I got - 128 feet, not including the flitches that I can get some more out of with the re-saw attachment that should be here pretty soon.  I am quite happy.

There were a few oh DanG moments during the cutting.  Forgetting to lower the toe board on the last opening makes for an interesting cant, the de-barker can be snugged so tight it will blow the breaker and its already been pointed out to me that I can back off the water a bit - too used to running irrigation equipment I guess. 

Hooked up to my pickup:

My 1st ever cant:

My 1st board:

I need to put a deck on the front of the portable chicken tractor I built and figured I would use this old cedar for the decking..... I may need to re-think their intended use.   8)

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ljohnsaw

Nice set up. Mi-T-Fine looking board :)  Can't wait until I cut my first board.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

4x4American

Awesome!  Gonna be able to spend a full day or two with her this weekend?
Boy, back in my day..

Southside

She is going to get some hours over the next several days on her for sure, may have to add a couple more lights onto it, that one that is on it works pretty well. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

xlogger

Nice cedar there. Do you have much ERC your way. Congrats on the  mill.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Tom L

good luck with the new rig

I like the muffler on that mill, you could put an extension on it , pointing down, and blow the sawdust off the boards as you run the mill back and forth

Chuck White

Congratulations on your new mill!  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SawyerBrown

Congrats on the new mill!  You're going to love it!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Hale87

Gotta love orange,,,, congratulations!
2002 LT40HD sawmill, WM single blade edger, 23hp Kubota tractor, 2011 Kawasaki Mule, 2002 Honda Foreman, 1983 Case 480D backhoe

Glenn1

Jim,

Looks like you found an excellent mill.  Hope you have many hours of enjoyment! 
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

Magicman

Congratulations and Happy Sawing.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Ga Mtn Man

Nice!  Was the light on it when you bought it?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

drobertson

Happy for you southside!  I will say, that toe board still bites me once In a while, ;D  and the cotton pick'n manual back stops, ;D I mean you would think I would know better? ;D  Happy sawing to ya!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

hunz

Woot! Woot! What a great feeling.
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

thechknhwk

justallan1

Congrats on the new mill. That thing looks to be in brand new shape by the picture.

4x4American

Quote from: drobertson on March 11, 2015, 08:35:39 AM
Happy for you southside!  I will say, that toe board still bites me once In a while, ;D  and the cotton pick'n manual back stops, ;D I mean you would think I would know better? ;D  Happy sawing to ya!

You have manual backstops on your 40 super?
Boy, back in my day..

MAI

Southside

Thanks everybody.

Got to get sawing some stickers so that will give me a bit of practice.  This summer I plan to re-side the house and figure if I can get some SYP sawn into 1" stock and let it dry for a couple of months I can lap side it later on and not have to try and sticker beveled wood.  I made a trade with a neighbor to saw a couple of white oak logs in exchange for a 20 ton tag trailer that is going to be the frame base for my forwarder trailer that I am building to set behind the skidder, but I want to get a few hours on her before I bring it over there.  After a bit I will start to advertise some lumber and sawing services but want to at least look like I know what I am doing first.   :D

Quote from: xlogger on March 11, 2015, 06:08:04 AM
Nice cedar there. Do you have much ERC your way. Congrats on the  mill.

X Logger - I would not say we have a tremendous amount, but it is around.  There is no mill that buys it so I am going to try and see if I can make a go of marketing some.

Quote from: Tom L on March 11, 2015, 06:57:55 AM
good luck with the new rig

I like the muffler on that mill, you could put an extension on it , pointing down, and blow the sawdust off the boards as you run the mill back and forth

TomL - Thats a great idea, will have to see what I can rig up for sure. 

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on March 11, 2015, 08:25:57 AM
Nice!  Was the light on it when you bought it?

GA Mtn Man - yes the light was already on it, and there is a plate light on the manual set works scale.  I think I am going to put a couple more LED's on it as the light was really helpful last evening when finishing up and drooling at my handi work!!  I bought it off an amish family that does not use electricity so everything has 12V lights on it. 

Quote from: justallan1 on March 11, 2015, 09:04:00 AM
Congrats on the new mill. That thing looks to be in brand new shape by the picture.

Thanks Alan - it actually has a little over 1300 hours on it, the previous owner bought it in December 2012 and did not use it much for about a year, then ran it last year pretty regularly until last fall when they bought a Cooks AC-36.  The previous owner has a nice little mill operation going that he only began to operate full time last fall, but has built up a decent business. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!