iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started the build.

Started by fishfighter, April 08, 2015, 12:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Good job.

Eat the elephant one bite at a time (old saying). 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Beautiful work my Friend, keep on keeping on.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

Got a little done.

Base board and she molding.

Top plate covering the sliding door tracks.

Of course I had to take the door down to varnish the door trim. Will get it back up in the morning.

Magicman

That old Oak is showing out.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

Lynn, I do have a problem. Checking my oak stash, I am short of some 2x6's. :( Guess I will try to fell a standing dead oak tomorrow and throw it on the mill. Got 5 or 6 of them to saw. I will pick out a small one just for 2x6's. ;D

Darrel

Like Lynn says that oak fantastic!

Have fun and stay safe tomorrow!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

fishfighter

Just a update.

Had did some painting in the living/kitchen area. Finished all of that.

Way back when I started this build, some things new to timber framing I didn't know. :( The big problem I had was when I made the braces. The more I got to thinking about them, the more I hated the ones I installed. So, being a timber frame/stick build, is I took out the braces, I should have no problems due to the way all beams are supported by 2x4 walls.

So, I took a sawsall to them and out they came. Them I made new ones. To install them, I used biscuit jointer into the braces and post/beams with some good glue.

I have them all up. Problem, I have to stain them to match the posts and beams. Still working on a stain for that.

Had a little time to make thresh hole in between the bathroom/ other area out of oak. The difference in height is about a 1/4" in the flooring.

Starting with some 2x4 oak stock, passing it thru the planner, I then put it to the table saw.

Sanding

Finished product. Just sitting in place till I finish out the pine flooring. Then it will be glued down.

Tomorrow I will try to fire up the saw mill. In need of some oak lumber. That, and I will start making some molding to trim out the post and beams.

Magicman

That threshold is about what I had to do between the mudroom and back porch at the Cabin.  Took a full 2X6 White Oak board and started whittling.  Same situation between the new and old portion of the living room except I used a 1X6 Cypress.  Strangely, I do not have a picture of either.  :-\

fishfighter

The difference between the floors is because I had installed 5/16" hardie board below the vinyl flooring in the bathroom. One of those, I didn't plan for. Oh well. ;D 

fishfighter

Sawed up one small oak and had to call it a day last Saturday.

Some 4/4 and some 1".

Today I broke down and started resawing, and planning out a bunch of lumber for all trim work that was needed done. Had a late start due to the coffee pot broke. >:(

Got all door trim hung in the living/kitchen area. Really looking nice. Sorry, didn't have my phone with me, no pictures. :(

I will be attacking the back bed room soon. There is a ton of junk I have to remove out of it and then I have to remove sheetrock off the walls. Reason, have some wiring to run along wanting to change a few things. I will have to frame a closet out too. Really nothing hard. I am also thinking of adding a door in that room that leads out to the back porch. Would be easy to do. This is a guest house and if two couples stay, ones in the back bed room would have a step out the back without going thru the rest of the house.

On a side note. Hopping to get a dusting of snow here by morning. ;D Had two last winter, but it could be 8-10 years before the next snow fall here. 8)

Armymann50

fishfighter

Thanks Army.

Today, I did a clean out off on the porches. Had so much trash like scrap lumber. A lot to the point I couldn't use the areas. >:(

Then did a little corking inside.

After that, it was time to try out staining the braces to match out. Had fixed up a batch of vinegar 1 qt and two small pads of steel wool pulled apart. Been mixing it up every day for about 8 days and testing it.

Braces before stain.

After

Dang close match. ;D Once I clean and wipe down the posts and beams, it will match.

Tomorrow, some varnishing of trim work.

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Weekend_Sawyer

How are those angle braces attached?

In the last pic the brace on the left shows the pith.
I really like the the way that looks.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

fishfighter

1" dowel pins and glued.

I did saw up enough 4/4x6" pine boards for the front porch last Saturday. And then yesterday I fought a big SYP log. Had to trim it down a bunch just to be able to saw it up.

After the fight that I think I won. :D Was in need of 2x4's.

Bruno of NH

Looking good fish you do nice work.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

fishfighter

Thanks. The last couple days I had to clean out the back bedroom. Two trailer loads to the burn pile. :o Record breaking temps here. :o Talking hitting 82F, but having a cold front to come in tonight. :(

Today, I ripped down some sheetrock. :( Had to due to needing to do some rewiring. :( Got that done and also finished the rough in wiring.

Still have more stuff I have to go thru. A lot of loading ammo stuff and boat parts.

Sawed up some 2x4's, but they are still to wet to use. :( I need around 20 to build a closet. :( Guess if I have to wait, it would put me back a long time. >:( So, maybe I will just go :'( buy some tomorrow. :'( That hurt. :D 

fishfighter

Got the closet framed in yesterday. Cost me $60 for 2x4's and a box of framing nails. >:( DanG box store framing lumber is junk. >:( I hand picked and out of the ones I did, I would of rejected a 1/3 if I sawed them up. ;D

Fixing to head back and hand insulation. Maybe start hanging sheetrock tomorrow. This room will go very fast, I hope. 8)

Tin Horse

Quote from: fishfighter on February 09, 2019, 11:14:43 AM
Got the closet framed in yesterday. Cost me $60 for 2x4's and a box of framing nails. >:( DanG box store framing lumber is junk. >:( I hand picked and out of the ones I did, I would of rejected a 1/3 if I sawed them up. ;D

Fixing to head back and hand insulation. Maybe start hanging sheetrock tomorrow. This room will go very fast, I hope. 8)
I sure agree with that about the lumber thing. When I framed my shop with box store 2x6 I couldn't believe the bad quality. I had some dry milled lumber and things went better with it. I wouldn't ever try to sell that quality. 
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

fishfighter

For sure about box store lumber. :( How in the world will a house stand 50+ years building with the junk they are selling?

Anyway, that room has new insulation. Took me longer that I expected, but done. Looking at the weather, I am hoping that I can order some sheet rock for Monday. It's going to be iffy with rain next week. :(

Forgot, it was 38F here this morning. Cold for me. Fired up the wood stove and with in a hours time, I was peeling everything off down to a Tee shirt. Bad thing, my 30+ year old staple gun broke. :o Had to run and buy a new one.

fishfighter

Have a couple more sheets of sheet rock to hang and then I will start to float it out. Weather is for the ducks here today. Rain and more rain.

Magicman

Nice to see you making progress Paul.  Yup, Duck Weather here too.  :-\

fishfighter

Yesterday, I had to take a full days rest. Fluid over load. :( Extra meds were on order.

This morning I felt like a young buck. 8) Was up to finishing out hanging sheet rock. ;D First up, had to get my home made rock hanger out. ;D Had installed the lower rock and then it was time to hang 12' goods up.

I did have to cut about a 1/8" at the center seam. :( So I screwed across the top and let it over lap, then I had cut it. Then screwed into place.

Same for the other side.

All done. ;D

Maybe I will try to start floating it out tomorrow. 8)

Magicman

No envy from me.  I have done my share but only because it is one of those jobs that has to be done, and glad when it is over.  :-\

fishfighter

For sure Lynn. I put floating out sheet rock high on the list of things I hate to do. 10x higher then painting. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!