iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ok so I bought one of these

Started by BUGGUTZ, June 05, 2015, 06:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BUGGUTZ

Bought this from a friend who used it 18 years ago to build his log home. I found Belsaw on it but haven't really looked it over to know exactly what I have. I'm going to try and get it home tomorrow. I have more pics but i'm exhausted from posting this one!
Everyone has to be somewhere.

fishfighter

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

bkaimwood

Omg...awesome!!! Can I buy it?? I don't have any money...great find!!!
bk

crowhill

The treasures we find in the bushes!
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

BUGGUTZ

It has a 350 Chevy with a 4spd trans. It does have a belt driven governor. Everything on the mill itself seems to be sound and free. Blade was new shortly before he stopped using it. All teeth look good and are accounted for.

Im not real sure how to use it but its MINE!! 8) 8)

fishpharmer

Neat circle mill!  Timberking used to be Belsaw (as I understand it), if you call them they may be able to help identify the mill and possibly supply a manual.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

thecfarm

It will be a good feeling to get that blade into some wood.
What's the plan for the lumber?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Wenrich

Teeth should be removable.  You'll need a tooth wrench to change teeth.  Neither is hard to find.

There are several Belsaw users here on the forum.  Should have you up and running in short order.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

BUGGUTZ

My buddies neighbor was the one who owned it originally and he was the one who ran it. I hope to meet the ol' boy and see what hes got for it. Maybe he can give me some lessons when she's up and running.

My hope is to cut enough lumber to build a garage to park our cars in in the winter. I have a shop but its full of tools and toys. I live in the woods and we have a ton of red pine, so thats what i will be using. I currently run a chainsaw mill just for kicks.

There are mills all over around here. Most cases the sawyer just got too old to run them. In the future I plan to visit a few and see what they had going.

21incher

Good luck with it. I love the sound of those big blades sawing. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

tractorman44

With the picture you posted, my suspicion is that it could be an A-14 Belsaw, predating the M-14.  Try Vintagemachinery.org and search their documents.  You'll probably find all the info you'll need to identify it.  Take a careful look at the dogs as they are different between the two mills.  On the carriage, probably the front head block, you should find an oval aluminum tag that will be stamped with the model and serial number.

Their manuals are all free to download in pdf, then easy to print out if desired.  Good luck, and let us know for sure as my suggestion is just an UN-educated guess.....

rooster 58

The old goat otta know about history. I heard he's been around since y he Mayflower ;D

BUGGUTZ

Well I got it home. The track looks to be homemade. Its 32 foot and does not come apart. It looks to be true and flat. The husk I'm not sure, when I get a peek at the factory ones I should be able to tell if its the real deal. Oiled everything up and its all free and moving.

The engine looks to be a lost cause. Its locked up tight. I don't care for the v8 anyhow. I'm looking into an F-head Willys or a Ford 300. I think the governor is something I can adapt to any engine since its belt driven.

I will get more pics up when I get it mastered. There are some in my gallery and I will get more when I go to town. The phone won't send pics from the woods.

Thanks for the encouragement and knowledge. I hope to be making dreams come true 8) in a months time.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: rooster 58 on June 06, 2015, 03:26:29 PM
The old goat otta know about history. I heard he's been around since y he Mayflower ;D

I'll eat a Mayflower too.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

kellysguy

Quote from: BUGGUTZ on June 06, 2015, 04:32:27 PM
I'm looking into an F-head Willys or a Ford 300.

Do yourself a favor and put a 4.3 GM V6 in it and call it a day. It will cost less and be easier. Willys will be too much cost and trouble with low power. Don't reinvent the wheel, put something in that will bolt right up.

bandmiller2

Bugsy, take note of saw and engine rotation. Don't overlook a tractor PTO which turns the right direction for a Belsaw, most engines don't. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

BUGGUTZ

Im sure I can get my hands on a Chev of some sort. He said he ran it in second gear. Would that be the same direction of rotation as a pto? I have a Ford tractor that will run it then I can get my neighbor to load logs.

I paid $500 for it, I think i'm ahead.

BUGGUTZ

I have been looking at pictures and comparing my mill. It seems it has been st up to run the other direction. Looking at the blade from the drive side it turns clockwise.

dustyhat

I believe all the older guys around here ran the chevy 292 six cyl. on them plenty enough power, and they have a longer stroke so they can really lug them down, and you should be able to hook the governer right up.

bandmiller2

Bugsy, if the other fella was powering it with an automotive engine it should be set up for that rotation. Show us some good pictures and we can be more help. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Don_Papenburg

292 s were found in gas powered MF410 combines JD4400 combines and some old Gleaner combines  .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

BUGGUTZ

Standing at the handle facing the blade the teeth hook left.

I'm thinking that as suggested its getting a S.B. chevy. I would like to find one with a 2bbl. Theres a truck in the woods by my house with one that looks salvageable. I'm gonna haul a battery down and see if it fires, then do the old switcheroo! I just need to get this thing sawing!!!

BUGGUTZ

Gearbox

With a gas motor you can adjust rpm till the blade stands up . With a pto you will be limited to 600 or less top rpm . Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Thank You Sponsors!