iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stationary LT40/70 installation....

Started by Percy, July 05, 2015, 08:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Percy

Im planning to pour a cement foundation and remove the axle from my LT70. I have ordered and received all the non adjustable legs. I see there are holes in the feet of these legs...Does a guy bolt the thing down tight or does he not?? I need the mill to stay in the same spot, within reason, for my homemade receiving table etc.. I wonder if all the components are tuff enuff to handle the bashing and my yet to be installed powered log deck......any opinions...???
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Dave Shepard

The first time I bolted my mill down, I used pieces of rubber under the legs. The second time I bolted it solid. I didn't notice any problems.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

MartyParsons

Yes bolt it down solid. I have seen the concrete not be level and shims are needed under the legs if this is the case.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Percy

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Personally I do not like anything to do with a concrete floor when it comes to being in the sawing lumber business. But this is just a Goats point of view......your views may vary.  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Percy

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on July 06, 2015, 10:10:23 PM
Personally I do not like anything to do with a concrete floor when it comes to being in the sawing lumber business. But this is just a Goats point of view......your views may vary.  :D :D :D
Ba-a-a-a-a. (Gotespeak for I hear you). I plan on building up from the cement with wood to a floor. My current setup is too flexie and temperamental for a non adjustable leg installation.

Peter Drouin

A 6" concrete floor is a dream to clean. And helps when it' time to bolt down a 24' extension.
My view,  :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

scleigh

Goat hoofs don't do well on concrete :D

Brucer

Bolt it down for sure. The local pole mill used to have a manual LT40 to resaw the oversize butts from their poles. They just sat it on a concrete pad under a roof. No problem.

5 years and 6000 hours later they replaced the mill with a Super Hydraulic. Just sat it on the concrete as before. One day the boss was loading a really large, perfectly round log. He had the sawhead near the top of the mast. The log rolled right across the bed, hit the side stops, and over went the mill :o.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Percy

Quote from: Peter Drouin on July 06, 2015, 10:32:16 PM

A 6" concrete floor is a dream to clean. And helps when it' time to bolt down a 24' extension.
My view,  :D ;D
Is your floor a floating slab or does it have deeper footings? Your 6 inch thick floor is intact I'm assuming. How old is it??

Peter Drouin

My floor has a honch around the outside edge. With a hand finish, I don't like a polished floor ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

I am going to have to do something similar too.  All the rain we've had, coupled with some pretty big logs has rocked and knocked the blocking all around.  I like the dirt/dust floor, lot better on my back and knees, so I am planning on digging a footing under each jack stand and using quick crete.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Percy

Quote from: Brucer on July 06, 2015, 11:23:22 PM
Bolt it down for sure. The local pole mill used to have a manual LT40 to resaw the oversize butts from their poles. They just sat it on a concrete pad under a roof. No problem.

5 years and 6000 hours later they replaced the mill with a Super Hydraulic. Just sat it on the concrete as before. One day the boss was loading a really large, perfectly round log. He had the sawhead near the top of the mast. The log rolled right across the bed, hit the side stops, and over went the mill :o.
OK....Hadnt thought of that scenario.....yep hevey duty bolts for sure...

drobertson

No doubt, I get tired of the big ones scooting the mill off the blocks,  bolts for sure when I do it.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

tule peak timber

I put in a pad slightly larger than the footprint of the mill, made it thick and used plenty of steel. I am MUCH happier with the mill bolted down versus resting on blocks or just sitting on concrete. Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: scleigh on July 06, 2015, 10:38:50 PM
Goat hoofs don't do well on concrete :D

Too DanG funny but true. Some like concrete, some don't.
I guess its just what ever Cocks Your Pistol.  :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!