iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2006 Chevrolet 3500 diesel truck

Started by Road Runner, February 24, 2016, 02:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Road Runner

I'm looking at a 2006 Chevrolet 3500 diesel (6.6 dura max) truck with 130,000 miles and would like any pros or cons about them.  Is there anything I need to look for or ask about including any special maintenance or replacement parts at this mileage?     
WM LT40G25, Kubota MX5100, Husqvarna 365 & R460

sawguy21

Does it look like it has been well cared for? Look closely for signs of neglect, abuse and collision damage. I would pay particular attention to the brakes, front suspension and steering components. The engine oil will be black, normal with diesel, but should not feel gritty.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Corley5

Ask if the head gaskets have ever been replaced.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

submarinesailor

Make sure you check the front brake lines for corrosion. 

My buddy had a 2005, 2500 and he had a major problem with the brake lines.  Less than a year after they replaced them, they were leaking again.  In fact, he noticed one of the lines was dripping when he was walking out to his new truck.

scsmith42

My wife's veterinary practice has an '05 and an '06 5500 chassis with Duramax's.  Both trucks are closing in on 200K miles with no major engine problems at all.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

boardmaker

I'd say one of the biggest things to find out is if it has the lly or lbz engine.  The lbz engine will also have the 6 speed Allison instead of the 5.

The lbz is the better of the 2.

If it's an lly, find out if the head gaskets have been replaced.  Also, does it have a lot of aftermarket parts like it's been hot rodded?  Mostly looking to see if it has/had a programmer.  I own a 2005 2500hd crew cab.  Has 247,000 on it.  I bought it with 175,000.  Has the original head gaskets in it.  Quite a few people have had to replace their gaskets, but I think it maybe more from hot rodding or pulling the crap out of it.  Could blow them tomorrow.  You never know.  The biggest thing is to not run the crap out of it.  Now I'm not saying to not pull with it.  Just don't keep it floored for a mile long uphill with 15,000 behind you.   She'll treat you right if you do that.  The guy that owned the truck before me pulled a trailer a lot, but he didn't run it hard and always serviced the truck.  I love it.  Would do it again in a heart beat. Nice thought about upgrading to something with lower miles but the used diesel market is extremely high.  Besides I know my trucks history, and I believe that to be half the battle.

If the head gaskets have been replaced, then you are definitely good to go.  If not, and they go out, it could cost over 5 grand.  I also want to state that every manufacturers trucks have their own problems.  So switching to another brand will only bring you a different set of issues. 

Like I said, I love my truck and would buy it again in a heart beat.  I also want to say that I've never had any brake issues.  That's a new one I've never heard of before.

I also want to say that 130,000 on an 06 diesel is low miles. 

And last, if it's an lbz, that's a great engine.  I haven't heard of any major issues with them at all.

pabst79

Ditto X a million on the head gaskets, I have a 05' duramax that the head gaskets just went out on, its been pressurizing the coolant system for awhile, so I knew it was coming. I'm at 260,000 miles so it doesn't owe me anything. I bought the truck new and had no major repairs until about 190k then water pump, hydraboost etc went out. Take the truck for a good 30+ mile test drive if possible, if there is any coolant leaking out the overflow tank (Passenger side wheelwell) then run the other direction FAST...

As already stated all makes have there issues, the problem with Diesels (and I love them) is when they do break, it really hurts the checkbook to fix them. A good friend of mine is a dealer diesel wrench, he always equates buying a used diesel to playing Russian roulette, 50 times in row your fine, then..... Just make sure you give it more than a tire kicking before you fall in love.
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

Weekend_Sawyer

run the Carfax. they will tell you about all factory maintenance, flood damage, accidents and how many times it has been registered and where.

My mechanic told me to look out for rusty brake lines around the abs. That's a $1000 repair.
Look for rust on the frame, spring shackles and rear end. that will tell you if it has seen alot of salt.

I looked at one that had rust in these places that had been painted over.  :-[

Good luck
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

drobertson

I currently have the 06' 3500,  not sure what to say to look for, runs like a sewing machine, I am just now at 130K so hopefully the trend stays as it has.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Sheepkeeper

I bought an 04 3500 crew cab with the duramax back in May with 370,000 km on it. Love the truck. Head gasket went in Dec. The bill ended up being just over 9 grand (Canadian). Changing head gaskets is a major undertaking, 33 hours shop time according to service books. And that's if everything goes right, mine didn't. She's gonna have to last me 10 years to get my money's worth out of her  :)
The hurry-er I go the behind-er I get.

Weekend_Sawyer

My mechanic, a very stoic, level headed guy told me that the pickup truck diesels are squeezing out so much horsepower that any week point has a higher possibility of failure, like head gaskets. Then they slap on tuners, intake and exhaust systems to boost HP and it is no wonder they blow.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Road Runner

Thanks for the replies.  The truck has the Allison 6 speed transmission.  Everything is stock except different tires (I'm not sure of the size).  My BIL has owned the truck since 7,000 miles and says he's had all the maintenance done at suggested intervals and all he's had replaced are the altenator and pulley.  The only towing beyond what a 1/2 ton could handle has been less than 1000 miles hauling lumber for me so it's had pretty light use (the reason he's downgrading to a 1/2 ton p/u). 
I'll get with him tomorrow or Sat. and give everything a good going over.     Thanks again!     
WM LT40G25, Kubota MX5100, Husqvarna 365 & R460

SAWMILL BUDDY

I have a2006 3500 crew cab with the LBZ engine. 300,0400 miles. Replaced one hub Bering, alt,water pump. Probley  200,000 of those miles have been pulling trailers. The service manager and long time friend of mine says they're getting over 500,000 miles out of these trucks.

boardmaker

That's the lbz engine.

Sounds like it should be a great truck!

Thank You Sponsors!