iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Idling sound?

Started by gman98, July 18, 2016, 08:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman98

First off, I know I'm probably asking a lot of annoying questions and I'm sorry, but I just need a bit of help getting up and running.  I have grown up in a family of older model husky runners, so I have no help with my new model stihl.  I have noticed lately when I have run my saw and cut with it that once it is warmed up and just idling there is a quiet puffing sound along with the sound of the saw firing.  I was wondering if any of you other guys have found your saws doing this?  I am running a stihl 362 c-m.

Thanks
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

dougand3

Sounds like you hear 4 stroking, which is good at idle and pith reving. The sound should smooth up under load in the cut. Good tune video by mweba:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29FiGmDQkaM
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

CTYank

Four-stroking would apply on lightened load @WOT, not at the OP's situation of "just idling".

Having no clue as to what gman98's referring to by "puffing sound", I'd suggest he ask someone local who knows what he's listening to, what he thinks is going on. Unless he can pass an audio recording.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Carson-saws

CTYank...72 Homelite?  WOW...those buggers never seem to quit.  Sometime a real bear to start but once ya get them going...hold on brother......Didn't Pouian buy Husky?
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

gman98

Could the sound be a hole in the carb boot?
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

Texas-Jim

Husqvarna bought poulan along with bunch of others.
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

John Mc

Quote from: Texas-Jim on July 20, 2016, 11:34:23 PM
Husqvarna bought poulan along with bunch of others.

I thought Electrolux bought them all, then spun them off?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

motohed

I would see , if you can find a couple people with the same saw and listen to theirs . It maybe just the sound of the catalitic converter in the muffler . have you clean the screen in the exsaught .

CTYank

Quote from: Carson-saws on July 20, 2016, 04:47:29 PM
CTYank...72 Homelite?  WOW...those buggers never seem to quit.  Sometime a real bear to start but once ya get them going...hold on brother......Didn't Pouian buy Husky?

Yes, about the cranking, without a purge bulb. That 150 was given to local land trust guys, as a ball of oily sawdust, so they passed it to me. Some disassembly, serious scraping, then restoring the chain and it cuts. Being only a bit over 9 lbs, it's often called on for long hikes into the woods. Hearing protection rqd. Not at all bad for vibe-levels, surprisingly. Maybe because of peaking around 7K rpm?

Poulan was bought by Beaird, then Weedeater, before Electrolux. Some of their current plastic moldings have Husqvarna emblems inside still. AFAIK all current "Poulan Pros" use Husqy's strato tech. Big PLUS.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Texas-Jim

Electrolux bought husqvarna in like 1980 or some where in there. But they let husqvarna run that side as a silent investor.

Husqvarna owns all these brands and few more are in talks.
Gardena, McCulloch, PoulanPro, WeedEater, Flymo, Jonsered, Klippo, Diamant Boart and RedMax
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

Thank You Sponsors!