iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sweet gum /Red gum

Started by Joey Grimes, October 09, 2016, 05:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joey Grimes

We recent cut some mature sweet gum into 8/4 slabs I've always heard mature sweet gum with mostly heartwood was then called red gum? It has very interesting color and grain patterns. 

94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

fishfighter

How wide was that log? The few gums I sawed for just blocking, the lumber was all white. Logs around 16" on the small end.

Joey Grimes

They were about 18 inch diameter
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

brad918

That gum has some great figure! Does red/sweet gum mostly grow in the south? Here is a table I made from "red" gum, at least that's what the guy who sold me the slab said. He said it must have sat around awhile before it was milled. I always thought red gum was, well red.

WM LT35HDG25 (2017)

sandsawmill14

i saw ALOT of gum :) in the spring time while sap is rising the gum logs will sprout limbs and put 2-3 leaves on while in the log pile if its rains alot :)   maybe one of the foresters will enlighten us about this :)

It comes from epicormic buds under the bark.  These are stimulated by sunlight.  Normally these are dormant, but you'll see them on trees if there has been a heavy removal of timber.  You will get leaves and branching all over the bole.  They drop off when the overstory closes in. 

I have sawn logs that have had this, and it is a loss of grade.  The log looks good, but you'll hit a couple of inches of wood that have a bunch of pin knots.  You'll can have a FAS front, and the back can drop below 2 Com.  Next board will clean up.

Logs will branch out in the spring, as there is enough moisture in the cambial layer to support it.  I have seen it in tulip poplar and walnut, as well. 
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

fishfighter

I'm sure MM will be posting about his favor log to saw. :D

Yep, they sure do saw easy. Heck, clearing land with a backhoe, a gum that is around 12" at the base will snap off if one doesn't dig enough root ball up.

WDH

Joey,

I don't saw it because of warp and twist from the spiral grain.  Hopefully, your slabs will dry straight.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Joey Grimes

I have had similar experience with twist and warp but it had a lot of sapwood .This log layed flat and showed no stress when cut so I'm hoping for the best time will tell.

Wudman

Liquidambar styraciflua (sweetgum) is generally a southeastern US species.  It is a prolific seeder and will outrun Virginia pine across a fallow field.  Leave a field fallow for a couple of years and you will be fighting sweetgums until you break out the herbicide.  One good thing about sweetgum......it is highly susceptible to glyphosate.

I have heard the sapwood of sweetgum referred to as sap gum and the heartwood referred to as red gum.  I had a customer that peeled (plywood) it for curved drawer fronts.  It grows rapidly, is often gun barrel straight, but has a spiral grain that likes to twist when drying.  Most of it here ends up in the cross tie and pallet market.

The color of the heartwood ranges from green to purple to blue to brown.  Most of it will go to a brownish color when dry.  I have seen some beautiful spalted sweetgum table tops.

I'm sure any of the guys south of the Mason Dixon will send you all that you want to saw.

Wudman 
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Okrafarmer

I love sweetgum, and have had very little trouble getting it to dry straight, especially if the logs were 16+ inches in diameter before milling. Sometimes there's a little movement, but nothing I don't find in other species, such as red maple.

There is a lot of variation in sweetgum heartwood. Often times the heartwood shape (looking at the end of the log) is more Antarctica-shaped, elephant-shaped, or octopus-shaped. Often there are random specks of heartwood scattered throughout the sapwood, like a pixelized digital photo.

smiley_thumbsup_grin
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Okrafarmer

Oh, and at least once i had a sweetgum log that was too big in diameter to fit on an LT40. That shouldn't be a problem for me now, with the Turbosawmill.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

fishfighter

DanG sweet gum is a problem on my place. Last time I had a section select logged, I had them just about clear cut some sections of the woods due to sweet gum over taking areas. Had them leave behind big oaks and of course I never let them take pecan trees.

Those areas are now oak and pecan stands which are around 15 years old.

When they tree sweet gum around here, it's all chip wood.

WDH

Joey,

Yours is some of the prettiest that I have seen. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!