iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I Bought What??

Started by Magicman, January 09, 2017, 08:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Lumber.  :o

OK, I have a small project that I need to build this week and I had no 1X12's.

I felt kinda lame paying $26 for two 12' 1X12 boards.   :-\

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

WHAT!!!????

Wait a minute You bought those?

You have my deepest condolences in this time of loss.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

samandothers

Look on the bright side!  They were not $30!

thecfarm

Them knots are as big as a bowl of grits.  :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

killamplanes

I know what ur talking about. Couple weeks ago I bought 2x4 by 10ft. They were 2nd at lumber yard for a dollar apiece bought 87 of them. We use them 4 inches at a time to put blocks in repairing pallets. Pine is much easier to do this process then my hardwoods.  I don't feel bad though. Not for a dollar...
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

yukon cornelius

Some times it is easier to just buy them anyway. Yesterday I needed one 2x4 cedar 54 inches long. I mill up a small log and get one good 2x out of it and proceed to cut it 53 inches long. :o so I go get another log and start over.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

logboy

When I was redoing my existing wood shop and adding on this summer, I went to the local big box store and purchased all of the precut 2x4s.  Their sale price is $.50 a board foot.  Considering the logs cost me $.35-$.40 board foot, I wasn't about to waste time and money sawing, drying and milling my own.  Putting self-righteousness ahead of profit margins is not a very good business model.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

WV Sawmiller

MM,

Did you borrow Marty's truck and go in with a wig and sunglasses hoping nobody would recognize you? How embarrassing! You have my condolences.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

ozarkgem

Quote from: yukon cornelius on January 09, 2017, 09:20:38 PM
Some times it is easier to just buy them anyway. Yesterday I needed one 2x4 cedar 54 inches long. I mill up a small log and get one good 2x out of it and proceed to cut it 53 inches long. :o so I go get another log and start over.
glad its not just me. I needed a 2" x 17" in piece yesterday to finish a desk. I cut it 16". Had to find another board and rip it and start over.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

ellmoe

Quote from: Magicman on January 09, 2017, 08:12:39 PM
Lumber.  :o

OK, I have a small project that I need to build this week and I had no 1X12's.

I felt kinda lame paying $26 for two 12' 1X12 boards.   :-\

That's the problem with "sawing them and leaving them". Just sayin...  ;)

Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

WDH

An to boot, the boards are not even 12" wide  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fishfighter

I did that a few times on the camp I'm building. :( Hurt my feeling buying lumber, but I didn't have any pine logs on hand at the time. :(

Brian C.

I feel for you MM. It hurts every time I walk in the lumber section of a box store. Oooh those prices. If only I could get those prices.

And Yukon, I try to cut two when I need one, That way I can screw up twice before I have to mill again.

GAB

Quote from: yukon cornelius on January 09, 2017, 09:20:38 PM

You should have cut it again at 52" that way you could say I cut it twice and it was still too short.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

sealark37

If you knew someone who has a sawmill, you could have asked him to saw you a few boards for your project.  Have you ever visited a plumber's home, only to find the lid removed from the toilet tank so you could flush it manually?  Regards, Clark

Tom L

now that you purchased the two 12"W x 12 ft long boards did you do like everyone does to you and me

rip them down to 3 pc x 4" wide and then cut them in half to 6 ft?

Wudman

I feel your pain.  I bought some T-111 siding last week.  It was $36.00 / sheet.  I'm selling that wood for about $20.00 / ton on the stump now.  Makes you want to cry.  It wasn't so long ago that I was getting in the upper $60's on the same stumpage.  T-111 retail was about the same price then.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

drobertson

Time is money, handy is handy, lil over a buck a foot not that bad for only two,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

I built a platform.

But the only folks that I know needing a platform are Politicians, Preachers, Singers, & Auctioneers, and them I ain't.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Nice, Dose it get a coat of paint? Don't let the goat see it, He'll want it, Goats like to be up on things. :laugh: :laugh:
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

terrifictimbersllc

Turn it over and fill it with sawdust and it's a giant litter box for Skiptooth the sawmill cat.🐾🐾
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Andy White

And a fine platform it is!! Can't wait to see the final resting place for this fine specimen. Did not look like this when you had it in the truck.       Good work.         Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Magicman

Our conversation got side tracked this afternoon Andy and I never did tell you what it is.  Now you will have to wait just like everyone else.   ;D

No paint or finish Peter, it is complete...well almost.  I still have to put some cleats (handles) on each end so two people can pick it up.  It is sorta heavy, well at least cumbersome.

paul case

An ice chest to keep your snowman in?

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Peter Drouin

A box for your crab boil.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!