iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Started by NSSawyer, February 10, 2017, 01:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NSSawyer

Hey folks!  I'm new to the forum and I'm looking to see everybody's opinions and the 455 Rancher, I'm  looking Into buying one and just want to know what everybody likes or dislikes about them, thanks.
Jonsered 630 Super II
07' Honda Foreman
Maritime Logging

Czech_Made

I own one for 10 years or so.  Starts easy and I dont even use the decompression valve.  I store it with gas in it year long, use TSC bar and chain oil and it starts every time i need it, say once or twice every month.

Czech_Made

I forgot to mention that I buy real gas for the saw.

http://www.pure-gas.org/

warren46

I have a 455 Rancher and have used it for 8 years.  It is a great saw around the mill.  No problems except the primer bulb got a crack in it.  I could not be happier with the saw.

Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

John Mc

If you don't have the need for a pro-level saw, the 455 is a decent saw. I've always thought that is was a bit lacking in power-to-weight ratio area: It weighs just as much as the 460, but has less power. If you want lighter, some models of the 450 are a LOT lighter (2 lbs.), without that much loss in power (there are several different 450s out there). 2 lbs may not sound like much, but it's a lot when you are hauling around a saw all day. If the weight doesn't bother you, consider spending a bit more for the 460, and get a bit more power for that weight.

If I were in the market for a saw of in this size range and quality level (i.e. better than an entry-level consumer saw, without stepping up to the big-bucks price tag of a pro-level saw), I'd be looking at a 450 or a 460.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

SawTroll

It is an over-weight and under-powered "homeowner" class saw (meaning plastic crank-case and clamshell engine) - but it is known to do what it is designed for, cutting wood without any fuzz.

The 460 and the 465 are stronger saws of the same basic design.

Anyway, keeping the chain sharp is much more important than what exact saw model you have, and there is only one way to do it right, with files (not grinders, unless there are serious damage that needs to be removed - and then you need to file afterwards anyway). If someone offers to make your chain "perfect" with a grinder, he is lying. 
Information collector.

Woodcutter_Mo

I've owned a 455 for about 10 years, for what it is it's a prety good saw. I just recently replaced the fuel line and primer bulb on it but other than that it has been fairly low maintenance. It does leak bar oil prety bad, but to my understanding it's an easy fix. It is slightly under powered for its weight, but adequate for personal use. If you don't mind spending a little more, the 460 Rancher may be a little better for power/weight.

-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

SawTroll

Quote from: Woodcutter_Mo on February 10, 2017, 11:34:57 PM
I've owned a 455 for about 10 years, for what it is it's a prety good saw. I just recently replaced the fuel line and primer bulb on it but other than that it has been fairly low maintenance. It does leak bar oil prety bad, but to my understanding it's an easy fix. It is slightly under powered for its weight, but adequate for personal use. If you don't mind spending a little more, the 460 Rancher may be a little better for power/weight.

As the specs look, better forget the 460, and jump streight to the 465.

Power to weight never will be great with "consumer class" saws, but it obviously is better with the 465 than with the others.
Information collector.

Woodcutter_Mo

Quote from: SawTroll on February 11, 2017, 12:05:41 AM
Quote from: Woodcutter_Mo on February 10, 2017, 11:34:57 PM

As the specs look, better forget the 460, and jump streight to the 465.

Power to weight never will be great with "consumer class" saws, but it obviously is better with the 465 than with the others.

True, the 465 looks to be a fair step up as long as you don't mind spending $110 more

455 Rancher = .2726 HP/Lb.
460 Rancher = .2830 HP/Lb.
465 Rancher = .3189 HP/Lb.
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

seaview

Just brought home my brand new Husky 562XP... all I can say is WOW! Power---YO! 60CC; that thing just rips. I too looked at the 455 Rancher; price is right. But when I clasped on the the 562XP at my local dealer, the Rancher went back on the shelf. But the point I want to make, is that all the forums in the world are just other peoples opinions. I am not having any starting, running or cutting problems with this puppy. Is streamlined and lighter. Rancher is clunky. Stood in the shop for 10 minutes with the 562XP in my hand and did not tire. Is a big consideration for those of us in our 60ies embarking on milling and logging in our final decades. Most of all, this saw is one of the new generation of computer tuned (Auto Tune) saws. Never owned a chainsaw that ran this smooth...

John Mc

Quote from: seaview on February 11, 2017, 04:19:03 PM
Just brought home my brand new Husky 562XP... all I can say is WOW! Power---YO! 60CC; that thing just rips. I too looked at the 455 Rancher; price is right. But when I clasped on the the 562XP at my local dealer, the Rancher went back on the shelf. But the point I want to make, is that all the forums in the world are just other peoples opinions. I am not having any starting, running or cutting problems with this puppy. Is streamlined and lighter. Rancher is clunky. Stood in the shop for 10 minutes with the 562XP in my hand and did not tire. Is a big consideration for those of us in our 60ies embarking on milling and logging in our final decades. Most of all, this saw is one of the new generation of computer tuned (Auto Tune) saws. Never owned a chainsaw that ran this smooth...

No doubt they are certainly nice saws. When my 357XP finally dies, it will be replaced with either a 555 or a 562XP (depending on how rich I'm feeling at that time). I was assuming they are out of the OP's price range, given the saw he was originally asking about.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

ladylake

A Echo CS590 for $400 or less if you shop around is the saw to get , yes a Husky 362 will saw a little faster but cost almost twice as much . I wouldn't even consider Stihl and Husky farm and ranch models.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

seaview

How many different ways is there to make a chainsaw?? Seems like only one way; the Husky way! And how many different colours do chainsaws come in? Seems like Husky orange has caught on with everyone- including Echo! Have to heap praise on Homelite for staying with original RED! Want 'Snap-on'? or are you happy with 'Craftsmen'? Ya, price is important; but it seems meaningless when you're out there doing what loggers do... making wood chips fast, furious and loud!! Life is short; buy a Husky or a Stihl and get genuine knowledge and service from a real chainsaw shop... unlike Home Depot. Oh, and by the way, the 455 Rancher is a fine saw for those on a budget. My first choice was the Husky 372XP but at 63yrs old I figured 70cc would be doing all the talking and me, all the listening, and that's not the way I like to do it out there in the woods. A man has to be in charge of things when it comes to them scary chainsaw contraptions!

ladylake

If your a logger get that 562 but I wouldn't even consider a 455 Rancher with the Echo Cs590 out there.  Echo has plenty of fine dealers also who sell for the same price as Home Depot.  I have a Husky 372 and 385xp and a Echo CS590 , all good well made saws. Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

CTYank

Since it appears that the OP might have some cost-constraints, a good place to shop for non-pro Husqies is VMInnovations, where a factory-refurb 455R is now $323 f.o.b. your door. Got one of those 5+ yrs back, worked it for 3 yrs, sold it to bud who's very happy with it. True, it leaks b&c oil, so you deal with it. It just runs.
$125 right now from them for refurb PP5020. Got lots of hours on mine- only piddly simple probs.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Czech_Made

I upgraded the 455 clutch to free floating rim system, if the OP gets one that is definitely good upgrade.

John Mc

Yeah,   I put a rim sprocket on my cousin's 460 when he finally beat the stock spur sprocket to death. (now if I could just get him to sharpen his chain once in a while,  maybe this one will last a little longer.)

ladylake

I just ordered another CS590 shipped to my door, brand new no tax or shipping for  $312, a lot better saw everywhere than Husky or Stihls mid range saw.  Steve

John Mc

Quote from: ladylake on February 14, 2017, 03:40:52 PM

I just ordered another CS590 shipped to my door, brand new no tax or shipping for  $312, a lot better saw everywhere than Husky or Stihls mid range saw.  Steve

Definitely! Some might argue about the quality of the Echo CS 590 vs the Husky 555, but the CS 590 certainly blows away both the Husky 455 and the 460. At the price you mentioned it's more than $100 less than the list for a 455 (and still significantly less than some of the discounted 455 prices you see.)

A better built saw for less money. Certainly worth looking at. I'd probably own one already, but I only have the skills for basic maintenance, and the servicing dealer near me is a bit wonky. (Plus, my Husky 357XP is still going strong.)

WoodenWolf

I bought a 455 Rancher about 5 years ago when I was helping my dad clear some land and it has run very reliably ever since. I feed it ethanol free gas and kiss the chain with a file every gas up. I use it about 3 days a week (if not more) and most days it's running it's running for about 4-6 hours. I have no complaints but it does get pretty heavy by the end of the day. My other saw is a Stihl ms661 so it still feels light compared to that!  :D

A capable and engaged populace makes for a great country.

thutch85

a buddy i cut with has a 590 timberwolf. pretty good saw, other than he has to carry needle nose pliers to operate the choke cause the totally exposed plastic choke switch broke off. he also accidentally flips the kill switch with his thumb fairly often. pretty good saw, just poor choke and kill switch layout. imo if i ever buy anything other than a stihl, it will be a husqvarna or dolmar. another buddy has a 450 husky he beats hard, it still runs strong.

hopm

bought a echo 590 bout a year ago new for $335 out the door....I did a WHOLE lot of looking and I couldn't fine anything close for the price...also bought a echo backpack blower and an echo pole saw. been very pleased with cost and performance of both.

ranchguy

Another "bought one 10 years ago" post.  Never a single issue, always starts.  I always use ethanol free gas, it's at most gas stations here, and I get it delivered when I get tractor diesel.

Spike60

The 465 is not worth the extra money over the 455 or 460. The 460 is the best of the 3 and not that much more than the 455. A refurb 455 @ $323 isn't enough of a deal over a new one IMO. And I think the refurbs only have a 90 day warranty.

Echo makes a great product that deserves a lot more respect than it gets. But what is it with Echo people on all of these sites? Why is it so common that when there is a Husky or Stihl discussion going on that Echo fans have to jump in and beat the Echo drum?

I can predict the response, and I'm not singling out Steve because it happens everywhere. But do we always have to go down that road?  :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

John Mc

Quote from: Spike60 on March 11, 2017, 07:05:39 AM
The 465 is not worth the extra money over the 455 or 460. The 460 is the best of the 3 and not that much more than the 455. A refurb 455 @ $323 isn't enough of a deal over a new one IMO. And I think the refurbs only have a 90 day warranty.

Agreed. If I were looking in this line, I'd go with the 450 if I wanted smaller and lighter weight, 460 if I wanted a bit more power. Not saying the 455 or 465 are a bad saws (at least for what this line is), just that the 450 and 460 seem like better weight/power/price combinations to me. For some reason, most of the hardware store sellers around here seem to stock the 455.

QuoteEcho makes a great product that deserves a lot more respect than it gets. But what is it with Echo people on all of these sites? Why is it so common that when there is a Husky or Stihl discussion going on that Echo fans have to jump in and beat the Echo drum?

It's the same with any brand. If someone is asking about one brand, because they have a great dealer in their area, invariably someone will jump in with the "Stihl all the way" or "Husky is the only way to go" comments. They're not. Stihl , Echo, Dolmar, Husky and probably others all make some good saws. They also all make some not so great saws.

Thank You Sponsors!