iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tractor Help

Started by DextorDee, December 08, 2004, 11:16:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DextorDee

Having a problem with my tractor when trying to start. Its a  Massey Ferguson 65 diesel. Turn the key to start ok, turn loose the key it just keeps trying to crank. When it cranks its seems to be ok.The key switch spring is working it comes back to off position,but the starter just keeps a turning til it cranks.Not sure if to start with solenoid or switch or is there something in between?
Anybody seen this problem before?
 ???
Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

Fla._Deadheader

In the old days, I have seen the Solenoid hang up. The Big Copper Washer would get welded to the studs, inside.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

fstedy

8) 8) 8) There might be a resistor in the start circut that gives full voltage to a component in the system and when cranking but when you release the key the circut goes thru the resistor to reduce the voltage and save on the circut. This used to be a problem with a coil resistor in a car, it would run when the key is in the start position cranking but stop running when the key was released to just on ??? ??? ??? Just a thought  8) 8) 8)
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

GF

My past experience with the same problem was the starter solenoid.

J_T

I vote with G F & F D  8)
Jim Holloway

wiam

Ed_K

My model 30 had that problem. I threw the key switch away and have a toggle switch for run and pushbutton switch to start.
 Its the solenoid  ;).
 Today's problem  :o, the neutral safety switch quit  >:(. Those wire are now twisted together  8).
 Not good pratice tho.
 Ed
Ed K

DanG

I youster(is that a word?) have a Massey 65. There ain't nuthin fancy about the wiring on it. Replace the solenoid, and you should be good for another 35 years. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

etat

Of course youster is a word.  Everybody knows that.  Also as in  'I ain't as young as I youster be' :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

sawguy21

fstedy, you must drive older Chrysler products. I never went anywhere in one of those without a spare ballast resistor. Solenoid it is this time
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

slowzuki

The International 584 we use has a faulty key switch, the contacts inside are buggered so it starts cranking as soon as you put it in the on position.

The owner loaned it to the contractor building her daughters garage.  They left the key on all day so the starter was completely dead and the ring gear has about 1/3 of the teeth left >:(

Dangerous_Dan

I think the first test would be to get a meter or test light on the starter where the key switch hooks to. Crank the engine then let the spring in the keyswitch return to the run position and check voltage. If the engine continues cranking and you get a voltage reading, it's your keyswitch having some internal problems. If you get nothing and it is still cranking it's the solenoid. That's my 2 cents, I like to be sure something is bad before I replace it.
First you make it work, then you trick it out!

DextorDee

Guess I'll start out checking the solenoid.  ???
Thanks for replys ;D
Dem smileys youster look different. yea thats a word. ;D
Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

isawlogs

It's the starter selonoyd ,had it happen on the 135 at home . ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Dana

My Gleaner combine has the exact same problem when the battery becomes slightly discharged. I am not sure if there just isn't enough current to through the selenoid back or if it (selenoid) needs replacement.  I am planning to replace it and find out.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Thank You Sponsors!