iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer ?

Started by raycon, December 17, 2004, 08:54:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raycon

Whats a lot of hours when looking at used mills? (if the machine was poorly maintained low hours means nothing but...figured I'd ask)

Locally I've seen the hours range from 100 on a 2000 super to 6000 hours on a 97.

Was there any issues with the Lombardini diesel engine?
I've sort of spun out of control while looking into increasing HP and now I'm looking at used LT40HD super  equiped with the 40hp lombardini diesel.

Anyone remember a thread in which the year vs upgrades were listed for the woodmizer hydraulic mills? Like what year the hydraulic blade tensioner was added.  

Thanks for any info

Lot of stuff..

Percy

A fella here in Terrace(Bruce Andrews) bought a 96 LT40 with the Lombardini. It had 1800 hours on it when he bought it. He has had to replace the head already as it was eating antifreeze. They(Woodmizer) seemed to have some problems with the Lombardini but I know of several that have well over 5000 hours on them with no problems......I was told by one owner that proper warmups and not shutting it down unless it was like lunchtime or quitting time, made all the difference along with proper maintenance. If it looked like the pevious owner wasnt up on his maintenace, Id offer less..... ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Tom

Those old woodmizer just keep on peddling. Yep, there was a concern with the Lombardini.

I started with a 24 horse Onan (Gasoline) and put over a million board feet on it.  It's hard to wear out the basic  mill.  The engine, as well as all the parts can be replaced  

My mill stayed out in the weather 24/7 and that was its worse enemy.  Rust depleted some of the metal in the moveable parts of the dogs etc. the beam, rails, tower, bed and the rest of the frame has remained in good condition.   You will replace bearings, cam followers, belts, sheaves, switches and the like as maintenance anyway.  Even if the milll was poorly maintained, it will return to good condition just by your maintaining it.  You don't have to worry about "fixing" it too much.

There are things to check,   the swivel point of the engine where you tighten the belts to act as a clutch.  It is a shaft underneath the engine and opposite the tower that rides on bushings that wear.  Cam followers are the bearings that the tower and head ride upon and are in contact with the round rail.  they are above and below the beam.  Sheaves wear and cause even new belts to fit too deep in the groove to get a good purchase.  There are switchs, springs, solonoids and the like in the hydrauulic box that either work or don't.  The brass "buttons" that ride on the brass rail and transfer electricity to the hydraulics and ground against the bottom rail will wear and need replacement. Drum switches wear out.

Hydraulic band tensioning was pre-1990.

The hydraulics really came into being functionally about 1990.  The toe boards got rollers about 94 and other niceties added along and along.  The frame eventually was beefed up about 06 and The Super soon followed.  I don't have exact dates but that should give you a window.

D._Frederick

Ray,

I had asked one of the WM people at a logging show why they had shifted away from using the Lombardini diesel engine, and was told that they were having a lot of bottom end failures. The Lombardini has a aluminum block which may not be rigid enough to with stand the stress of going from an idle to maximum rpm for each board cut.( Just my thoughts)  The engines now being used have cast iron blocks.

raycon

Great info. Appreciate it.

Happy Holidays

Ray
Lot of stuff..

Thank You Sponsors!