TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: And yet, another Solar Kiln thread ...  (Read 5053 times)

Offline 50 Acre Jim

• Full Member x2
  • Norwood Manual HD 36
    • Share Post
Re: And yet, another Solar Kiln thread ...
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2018, 04:55:21 PM »
Today I got the insulation installed, put two layers of 30 lb felt over that, and then a nice floor made out of ĺď plywood.  

I had some Chicken wire so, in accordance with Geneís suggestion, I stapled it between the girders to hold up the insulation and keep out the larger rodents.  Ran out of wire on the last span so Iíll have to revisit that sometime in the future.

It was hot today, but I made good headway just the same.  Tomorrow I hope to start on the walls.  Itíll be a long day as the studs are over at the sawmill and Iíll have to tote them over to the job site. 

Go to work?  Probably Knott.  Because I cant.

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2018, 07:58:04 PM »
Looking good, Jim. 

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2018, 08:22:14 AM »
That is a really nice looking YJ.

Kiln is looking good. I have feeling a kiln may be on my short list after I start cutting.
I knew what I thought I meant.

Offline 50 Acre Jim

• Full Member x2
  • Norwood Manual HD 36
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2018, 12:42:02 PM »
Thank you Btulloh and Crusarius.  

I had cut a lot of 2x6x12 lumber back in December, and changing the height of the kiln from 8í to 6í will allow me to get 2 - 6' studs out of each board.    Better use of the lumber and in retrospect, the heat will probably be a little more concentrated in the smaller drying area.

Dogs gave their approval.

This is probably it for the day.  Itís mega hot out there and that 28í log is about to become the main beam that spans the front 18í opening.  My saw is set up to cut a max length of 16í so there will be a bit of juggling involved.

Offline 50 Acre Jim

• Full Member x2
  • Norwood Manual HD 36
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2018, 05:04:44 PM »
Got the beams cut, took forever and what an experiance.   Justification to lenghen the deck. Anyhow, got one of them up but it's not yet secure.  Have to slide it to the rear and then put the second one in place.  

I hit a tree with the beam in route to the kiln site.  Ended up dropping it on the ground and getting my beautiful beam all nasty and dirty.  Broke my heart, it was such a pretty beam.  But it's supposed to rain tonight so hopefully it'll get cleaned up in the process.

Offline 50 Acre Jim

• Full Member x2
  • Norwood Manual HD 36
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2018, 06:46:28 AM »
Can someone tell me, is there such a thing as to much airflow through the stack? 

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2018, 07:22:07 AM »
Yes.  Details to follow.

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Always taking steps to save steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2018, 07:33:26 AM »
It depends on the species, and the maximum allowable moisture removal rate.  Oak, hickories, etc require a lower airflow, maybe 150 to 200 fpm is good, or they will crack, whereas pine, poplar and similar need much higher airflows, maybe as high as 600 fpm to prevent sticker stain.  It's not as complicated as it sounds, depending, basically all you want in a solar kiln is a light breeze for most wood.  Solar kilns should be short loaded for sticker stain prone wood anyway, as the collector is generally sized more for oaks.   If the fans are too strong, turn one off, or reduce the baffling.  Of course, it also depends on how much air is being vented. 

HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2018, 07:39:51 AM »
I was hoping YH would check in on that question.  Somewhere I have (or had) something about that in a publication, but I can't seem to locate it.  Dr. Gene and YH actually provided more info for me anyway.  One thing I found with my kiln is it was hard to get too much air flow with the fans I used.  The trick has been to get enough holes plugged up around the stack to maximize the air flow.

What kind of fans are you planning to use?
HM126

Offline 50 Acre Jim

• Full Member x2
  • Norwood Manual HD 36
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2018, 08:47:02 AM »
What kind of fans are you planning to use?
These fans should move about 2,000 cubic feet per minute with the proper solar panels.   I was going to use 2 of them but I wasn't sure if they would generate enough air movement when positioned at the top of the heating chamber.  

So I considered putting them right behind the stack, but that would move a LOT of air in a short amount of time, and I was concerned it might cause problems.

To further complicate things, my design allows for all, or part, of the kiln to be used at any one time.  So if my fans are mounted permanently I will have to have a creative method of directing the air into the proper area(s).  That's not all that difficult, but I'm afraid I will lose a lot of efficiency if I create a ductwork system.  

I thought about buying/mounting 2 more fans (total of 4) and then selectively turn them on/off as necessary.  But that means another $550 in fans, and I was hoping not to do that.  :-)   It might be the best approach in the long run.  

Offline 50 Acre Jim

• Full Member x2
  • Norwood Manual HD 36
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2018, 08:49:59 AM »
It depends on the species, and the maximum allowable moisture removal rate.  Oak, hickories, etc require a lower airflow, maybe 150 to 200 fpm is good, or they will crack, whereas pine, poplar and similar need much higher airflows, maybe as high as 600 fpm to prevent sticker stain.  It's not as complicated as it sounds, depending, basically all you want in a solar kiln is a light breeze for most wood.  Solar kilns should be short loaded for sticker stain prone wood anyway, as the collector is generally sized more for oaks.   If the fans are too strong, turn one off, or reduce the baffling.  Of course, it also depends on how much air is being vented.
Good to know, thank you YellowHammer!    If I only need 150 - 200 FPM, I should be fine with mounting these up in the heating chamber and get plenty of air flow.

Offline 50 Acre Jim

• Full Member x2
  • Norwood Manual HD 36
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2018, 02:56:46 PM »

Offline 50 Acre Jim

• Full Member x2
  • Norwood Manual HD 36
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2018, 08:43:58 PM »
It started to rain on Wednesday and didnít stop until this morning.  Pretty much ended any construction on the kiln.  Just before the deluge started, I managed to wrap one of the walls with 30 lb felt, cut a bunch of lap siding, and install it on the left wall.    Also took some time to move all the (already cut) lumber over to the build site so itíll be there when I get started again.

A couple of hours into the start of this build I was asking myself WHY am I using such large lumber?  Back in November and December, I was cutting true 2x6x12 lumber, and it was all quite exciting.  I was finally using my sawmill for something constructive, and I was beaming with pride when I brought people over to see my pile of lumber.   Everyone was impressed.   Good Job Jim, such massive boards!  Canít buy stuff like that at Loweís, thatís for sure!

But when it came time to build walls and stand them up, well it stopped being fun really quick.  I went back and read through the posts and I see where I mentioned using true 2x6 boards for construction.  What I donít see is where anyone (especially you seasoned sawyers) tried to save me from this exercise in poor judgment and mention how *DanG heavy these buggers would be.   :D  Especially when they are wet.   :o

Thank goodness for Mr. Kubota, without whom I would be in quite the pickleÖ.  But every job is a learning experience, and I wonít make the ďtrue 2x6" mistake again.  

Nothing happening tomorrow as Iím picking up a jointer, dust/chip extraction system and some other woodworking tools from a cabinet maker that retired.  Also got a bite on my boat so I need to pull it out of the barn, clean it up and get it ready to show.   Need the extra room in the barn FAR more than I need a boat.  

Cheers!  

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Always taking steps to save steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2018, 11:40:35 PM »
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, using green true 2x6x12's will be a little heavy.  
:D :D

Also, don't nail roofing to green rafters, as they dry and move, they will rip holes in the roofing.   

HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2018, 07:59:53 AM »
Jim, I think we were in that same weather pattern here.  6 or 7 inches of rain.  It really shut down the outdoor work, but I got some work done in the shop for a change.

When people start admiring that "real, actual, full-size, manly lumber" thing it always cracks me up.  It's a trap that's easy to fall into though, but hopefully only once.  It also means you need a framing gun that will shoot 4" nails, which I've never seen.  I do like to saw rafters in odd sizes sometimes to fit a certain situation. 

Looking forward to watching your progress now the rain has gone.  

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2018, 11:10:39 AM »
Are you doin' OK down there, Jim?  You guys have had more than your share of water.  Looks like the pattern is going to change next week.  8)  
I hope you are well and your kiln site hasn't washed away.

BT

Offline 50 Acre Jim

• Full Member x2
  • Norwood Manual HD 36
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2018, 05:56:11 PM »
Are you doin' OK down there, Jim?  You guys have had more than your share of water.  
Still here, but we sure have gotten a lot of rain!   Something like 16Ē in the last couple of weeks.  Havenít done anything outside but Iíve spent some good quality time working on my shop down at the barn.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a jointer, shaper, power feeder, and a monster dust/chip extracting system with all the duct work included.  Canít go outside much so Iíve been wiring the area of the barn where itís all going to go and setting up work benches, etc.    Kind of exciting but man, what a bunch of work.  

And all this while trying to do the other day-to-day stuff that comes along.  Nobody can say Iím not keeping myself busy!  

Thanks for checking on me!  

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2018, 09:51:18 AM »
I know you've had a lot of rain down there, Jim.  Are you keeping your head above water?
HM126

Offline 50 Acre Jim

• Full Member x2
  • Norwood Manual HD 36
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2018, 11:53:27 AM »
Had a quick remodel to do so I had to move my tools away from the solar kiln build.  The remodel took longer than expected, so the SK build fell behind.  

Then it started to rain, and rain, and rain.   We sacrificed a chicken to the rain Gods, asked them to please make it stop.  It didnít work, in fact, I think it rained harder.  :(

I have a couple of rentals that are coming up empty in a week, so Iíll have to deal with getting those ready for new renters.   When all this ends I hope to get back on the solar kiln.   Itíll probably be fall by the time I get it operational.

Thanks for checking on me. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter