TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: 4 foot pulpers?  (Read 3986 times)

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
Re: 4 foot pulpers?
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2018, 02:31:06 PM »
Its more or less a fact of life, when the plants and factories start closing, the middle class slides down into the lower class. 

If bolts were still sellable here, thered be a lot less thieving and welfare checks.  Everyone has a truck and a saw, but skidding and loading full length is like a line drawn in the sand. 
Revelation 3:20

Offline Hackermatack

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2018, 02:52:13 PM »
When I was a kid I would help my dad cut a little pulp every year, we cut it short in the woods and loaded it on a wagon or sometimes just piled it on a chain and skidded it that way. We would pile it beside the road and before long some trucker would stop and want to buy it. Sometimes we had a load other times just a cord or two. One spring we cut a load of popular and peeled it because that was the only way they would buy it, I know it was slippery as snot and hard to make stay on the load. 
Jonsered 2230, 590, 70E. Kioti DK 35 /w fransguard winch. Hudson Oscar 236

Offline Hackermatack

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2018, 03:01:29 PM »
White birch bolts were cut a lot around here, I think they went mostly for dowel wood. My wife's cousin had a 49 ford 1 1/2 ton truck when he was in High School, he and his little brother would put on a load for a local logger after school one day, drive the truck to school loaded the next morning and run it to the mill on the way home from school.
Jonsered 2230, 590, 70E. Kioti DK 35 /w fransguard winch. Hudson Oscar 236

Offline Rick Alger

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2018, 04:47:51 PM »
Another good thing about the four-foot days was there was far better utilization. Softwood butts with heart rot could go as pulp instead of being left in the woods. You could also cut out crooks for pulp and make short logs out of the rest of the wood. With hardwood you could get decent boltwood out of trees that now are only good for pulp because of sweep or crooks.

Offline Maine logger88

• Senior Member x2
  • Don't force it get a bigger hammer
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2018, 05:23:19 PM »

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.) 

Rumford Maine.

Looks like they cut it 4'
That is the aspen that they 4ft they buy it in 4ft increments from 12'to 24'. There softwood and hardwood they buy at 3 different chip mills one in Farmington one in west Paris and another in New Hampshire. Then just truck the clean chips to the mill. The aspen is groundwood that's why they slash and debark it 4ft still
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Offline Oliver05262

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2018, 08:39:36 PM »
  When I was in High School in No. Bennington, they logged off the McIntyre job and some other sections in Glastenbury. The pulp was all four foot, and we could hear those big Ford and Mercury trucks on route 67 thundering out towards New York state on their way to West Virginia Pulp & Paper's mill in Mechanicville. Guy Savage had the nicest trucks that I remember.
  Later on I cut some 4' elm and popple for a guy in Ferrisburg. He hauled it to Ticonderoga on a single axle 60 series Chevvy and claimed he was making money. All I had was a 550 McCulloch and that big saw was way overkill..............
Good old days

"You can't do wrong by doing good"

"Abandon hope, all ye who enter here"

Offline Southside logger

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2018, 01:08:41 AM »
gman -

I can still see the train coming around Squaw Pan Lake with 4' wood on it.  Of course that was back when JP Levesque was running his mill, and you better had been careful on the Pinkham road as the unlimited loads were still rolling into Irving, so it has been a while. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2018, 04:39:28 AM »
One of the good things about 4 foot has been mentioned already, little layout in logging equipment for the small guy. You could load a pickup truck or one ton with 4 foot and take it through the mill gates at a couple facilities I knew of. Repap and Fraser Papers as I recall. Some fellas did that for grocery money, quite literally. It was fellas near the mills and working on their woodlots. But I've seen big operations haul it to. Used to be road side stops where the trucks coming in off those rough forest roads had to pull in and drive through two big steel upright drums to even up the load before going down the highway. There might be a stick here and there in the load protruding out the side of the stack that would be poked back into the pile to neaten things up. ;)

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • made 70-10 and still feelin pretty darned good!
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2018, 08:56:57 AM »
At the youth camp I worked at in the 60s the camp boys would fell and limb Red Pine, and Norway spruce and our crew would skid it to the landing where my partner and I would buck it into 4' lengths.
The trucker would show up and the boys would put the bolts up to my pard and I on the truck.
Took about 1/2 hr to load the 10 wheeler with 4 tiers.
We told them if they could get it to us we could handle it.
Worked out all but once when a strapping kid of 19 or so gave me a huge butt bolt to put on the top if the tier, but I just grinned and put it on the deck for the next one.
Told him I was born at night but not last night.
This was all un peeled stuff that went to St Regis in Deferiet.
Also at my ADK camp property a few years ago while bush wacking on our atvs we stopped by a unusual hump in the woods.
It was a moss covered pile of 4' wood.
LT40SHDD51
Kubota 8540 tractor, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 550 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo
241 acres of woodland

Offline Matt601

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2018, 06:31:43 AM »
I had 2 short wood trucks but we cut them 5 foot 3 inchs. If they was going to chip them there we could cut it 6 foot. I cut a many stick with a bow saw and loaded with a cable winch run off the PTO of the truck.
No matter where you go there you are!!!

Offline dgdrls

• Senior Member x2
  • Learning the Art of Milling Logs, Lucas 8/27
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2018, 07:09:51 AM »
Many of the sites mentioned here are Hydro-station sites still generating,
most are now independent of the paper mills or the mills have closed altogether.

D

Offline TKehl

• Senior Member x2
  • Certified Contrarian
    • Share Post
    • Kehlhof Ranch
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2018, 03:29:53 PM »
Not quite pulp, but the Cedar (ERC) shaving mills around here most all want 48-50" bolts.  

I've sold some that way that I brought in on a car trailer and back of a pickup.  It's a hard way to make a buck, but it is doable.  I keep it in mind as a backup plan to my backup plans.   ;)
Lucas 6-13+slabber, Mr. Sawmill bandmill, orange chainsaws, JD SSL, Case Backhoe, farm tractors, trailers, and 150ish acres of trees.  Fledgling woodshop with CNC router, laser engraver, Woodmaster 712, and a Berlin 108 moulder (project).  Oh, and a lovely (patient) wife and four offbearers.

Offline 2308500

• Share Post
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2018, 03:44:22 PM »
in the winters of 1984/85  i would cut and stack a cord roadside everyday after school.  just a chainsaw and pulp tongs.   i was in the best shape of my life and always had a pocketful of money at school.

hauled it all to roadside with a honda big red 3 wheeler and homemade cart. 5 trips per cord.  aaahhhh the good old days  local trucker (my dad) would pick it up and write me a check on the spot.  it was our land so i also got to keep the stumpage

other kids thought i had some illegal business on the side but, 4 foot pulp was way more fun( if that makes any sense)

wish i had some pictures but i was always alone for some reason

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2018, 04:44:42 PM »
My uncle cut some 4 foot around the time the local marketing board started. At that time there was a quota system because there were large producers logging for a living, not just a load or two a year. So with the quota system they used ticketing to move wood to mills. My uncle tried to get a ticket to move his 4 foot to market. Well the wood got too dry and stained and no ticket, so it went into the furnace for heat. I think that was the last time my uncle cut wood to sell. That was around 1983 or 84. Dad always cut wood on the farm and there was always a way to sell it during those quota years. Didn't need no ticket to export or with a broker. ;D

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline dsgsr

• Share Post
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2018, 06:35:30 PM »
After school and weekends, that was my job. Move brush and stack 4' pulp, mostly softwood. One winter we did oak 4', That's some heavy stuff for a youngster. We were logging with a horse and sometimes a pair of ponies pulling a wagon.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump

Offline morflail

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2018, 06:40:44 PM »
Worked for a man in town that cut and hauled pulp. We cut it  5 ft  and hand loaded on a ford haulout truck and transferred to the trailer parked close to the road. This in 1960 and he had all the wood he could cut.  Now Jersey had a fair amout of mills  that we hauled to. I miss those days 12 dollars a day 7 days a week . Homelite saws and Mack B61 tractors. 

Offline luvmexfood

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2018, 07:35:32 PM »
Never did pulp wood but remember the days of square baled hay and burley tobacco. Other than setting it out every thing else was done by hand. Cut it, spear 5 or 6 stalks on a stick then haul it to the barn and climb up in the barn and hang it. Just hard work. 

j
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Offline CX3

• Share Post
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2018, 10:11:57 PM »
My dad still tells of days when he would load 2 cord or 3 on a flatbed truck and take 4 ft cord wood to the charcoal kiln. He recalls getting  $7.50 for a cord stacked square on the block. Dad and Uncle Lee would fall the cull oak timber on state sales they purchased from the forestry department. They would buck it to length and hand carry it to the old truck up on the road. I asked once what they did with pieces that were too heavy to carry. Dad said they carried them lol.

I learned alot from these guys.

Thanks dad for gettin it done like a man
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2018, 04:53:42 AM »
That's like the response I got from dad about who graded the lumber off the circular mill we hired to cut lumber for the packing shed. His response was it was all number one. Well, it was likely that and better, been standing now for 30 years and been 3 other owners since he sold the place. ;)

Dirty Harry

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2018, 05:06:52 AM »
Dad recalled in the 60's loading rail cars of 4 foot. $20 cord after he cut, hauled to the siding and handled a second time. Well, that is what happens when there is all kinds of wood and all kinds of nearly free wood on the market. You can't cut logs without making pulp to. ;)

Dirty Harry

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
49 foot beam on a 21 foot bed?

Started by OlJarhead on Sawmills and Milling

28 Replies
Last post April 08, 2016, 11:13:08 PM
by Timster
xx
20 Foot 2 X 12's

Started by Greg Cook on Sawmills and Milling

9 Replies
Last post August 29, 2008, 08:40:40 AM
by Greg Cook