TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: 4 foot pulpers?  (Read 4136 times)

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
Re: 4 foot pulpers?
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2018, 02:09:27 PM »
Not pulp but my Brother and I cut Black Locust fence post @ 5 per post.  We worked a year behind in that we bucked the post in the Winter from the trees that we had felled that previous Winter.  They had lain, aged, and the bark had fallen off by then.  The only tools that we had were a single bit axe and a 5' crosscut saw.

We hand carried them out and loaded them onto a trailer and then stacked them 10X10X 10 high.  Dad would not use an unseasoned post but they were tough to drive a staple into.  He always said that you had to hold you mouth just right to drive a staple.  I guess that we did because we did.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2018, 03:52:55 PM »
The mouth holding thing works for angling salmon to. :D That was a common saying from my grandfather, when sitting out there in a canoe in the hot sun waiting to hook a fish. ;)

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline shortlogger

• Share Post
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2018, 11:13:40 PM »
it was a very common thing where I live up until the 90's then it really started falling off . just about everyone I knew hauled pulpwood at some point in their life . Some guys had pulpwood trucks with cable loaders and some people had a 1 ton or a trailer with a rack on it . I hauled my last load of 4' chip wood about ten years ago that was about the time the place shut down and moved out. it was bringing $50 a cord. it was pretty hard work but I could usually get a 2 cord load nearly every day after work so it wasn't to bad for extra cash. still one chip mill in town but the shortest they take is 12' now.
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2018, 08:32:35 AM »
I think the loss of the short pulp industry probably shares some responsibility for the conversion of nice hardwood stands into shade tolerant twisty pecker wood.  70% of the trees i cast my eye on wont make anything more than paper no matter how long they grow, but the only guy who can afford to haul it out of small lots somewhat profitably is the weekender with just a pickup and saw.  So it stays on the stump and outpaces good trees instead.  
Revelation 3:20

Offline Ken

• Forester
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2018, 06:23:30 PM »
We used to have a relatively strong softwood pulpwood market.  It was a great way to get rid of rotten butts for a reasonable price.  Before the Repap mill in Miramichi closed its doors we were getting 110+/cord delivered for swd pulp including full loads of 4' or 8' with an allowable content component for tamarack, pine, etc.  I don't see those days ever returning.   Don't miss piling the stuff by hand though.   We sometimes have to cut 6' cedar and it is a pain even with the machinery.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
49 foot beam on a 21 foot bed?

Started by OlJarhead on Sawmills and Milling

28 Replies
Last post April 08, 2016, 11:13:08 PM
by Timster
xx
How big is a foot?

Started by Jim_Rogers on Timber Framing/Log construction

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2007, 10:35:17 AM
by Thehardway