iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skid loader grapple

Started by rs1626, January 30, 2018, 04:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rs1626

What is the best skid loader grapple for loading firewood and loading processor?

Bruno of NH

I have a sundown looks just like a frostbite
I move logs and load the mill with it
I do firewood now but no proccesor yet
It will pick up any size log and many with one pick
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

barbender

I think forks with a top clamp is your best bet.
Too many irons in the fire

Pclem

I agree with barbender. You can get alot more per trip on your log deck with forks. I've got a stump grapple, and a brush grapple, but use the forks for loading the processor. The grapples, you get a good mouthful of wood, let em loose on the log deck, and you've got pickup sticks all over. Unless you take a couple at a time. The forks as you dig into the log pile, line em up in a single row, full forkload, nice & flat on the deck. That's what works best for me
Dyna SC16. powersplit. supersplitter. firewood kilns.bobcat T190. ford 4000 with forwarding trailer. a bunch of saws, and a question on my sanity for walking away from a steady paycheck

DaleK

I'm using this Martatch stone bucket http://www.martatch.com/Pages/MRSF.shtml with this grapple http://www.martatch.com/Pages/MGB.shtml

This is on a 140 hp loader tractor. I can get 2-3 decent sized logs on it at a time but it also carries a lot of firewood at a time
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

rs1626

I have a set of pallet forks i can load processor with but i would like to find something to load firewood and the processor

ButchC

In my opinion a top clamp is mandatory.  Could be on top of a set of forks but they are a lot less versatile than a grapple bucket.  I use an "E-Claw" bucket made by Eel River Steel. It's basically a tine bucket with top clamp. I can dream up lots of reasons to own various attachments  8) but the E-claw bucket is on the loader more than all the others combined.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

glassman_48

rs1626
If you go to the brute force website that I own here you can see a picture of brute force log grapple, its similar to a frostbite grapple.  Brute force has a single back plate and it is bolted on not welded, the steel is very heavy 5/8 and 3/8.  If you bend the back plate you can just unbolt and get another one.  I have used the brute force, I have used a pallet with top clamp and just forks with nothing, I like the pallet with top clamp best overall because I can just unhook the top clamp and use as forks, we move a lot of pallets around.   My second choice is the grapple.

rs1626

I ended up getting a tomahawk rock grapple bucket working out good so far

711ac

Quote from: rs1626 on January 30, 2018, 04:02:49 PM
What is the best skid loader grapple for loading firewood and loading processor?
Loading the processor is the easy part, the firewood is tough with a "root rake" or any other type of grapple. I don't think you'd be happy with a open floor grapple and you need 2 different attachments. I would think about a "rock" bucket for loading split firewood, they are designed to sift out rocks, they have a much closer spacing on the floor tines to allow for some cleaning or separation of the bark & chips where a typical rake/grapple will allow wood to drop through.

mike_belben

I made this for loading firewood, roughing dirtwork,  sifting out rock and leveling gravel like a land plane.  Eventually ill do a set of bolt on mesh side plates to hold more material and a rebar top clamp for rock shaking or brush piles.  

I use a stump grapple for logs, drainage trenching, stump digging and boulding picking. 

I do have forks but without a top clamp or ability to pinch bucked rounds in the "fingertips" i just dont use them too much outside of pallets.  

Praise The Lord

mike_belben

I didnt wanna post this unless i was sure it worked half decent.  Finally wired today and its did way better than i expected. 

Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!