iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oregon "PowerCut" chain

Started by Ed, February 06, 2018, 05:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weimedog

A person I'm blessed to have as a friend..:)
Ill measure tomorrow.  So explain why that thickness as compared to the pin/bushings or bearings design & characteristics  Or Vs. Materials characteristics . A little thickness differences could be offset by pin diameter or material hardness. I would assume all other things being equal that extra would be a plus. What was the typical lgx thickness? Guess I can measure that too.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

weimedog

Looking at a .050 lgx and do see the step. But the gist of my question is about that initial stretch from burnishing all the surfaces vs. Wear over the life of a chain. Manufacturng tolerances can make the stretching or burnishing less a factor. Once the surfaces are broken in...then the design either lasts or not. The rs always  seemed to be harder ( material ). But to be honest, neither Oregon or stihl rs I've ever experienced would stretch to the point of failure. Before the thing was filed to dust. But the fellow running my test loops along with his rs told me he didn't seem to have to adjust it as much. I didn't pull that from him. He volunteered that info. So the thickness wouldn't really matter as much as simply the experience.  If it's the same, good...so what is the point i guess is my question. Me? More thickness equals more weight. A minimal amount but...more. And i recognise that doesn't mean a thing..:)
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

HolmenTree

Sorry having a hard time concentrating at the moment, I'm down in the big city with the family picking up a new dog. Presently my wife is trying on new clothes at a mall. :laugh:

Yes the 72LGX steps up from .050 to .058.
Stihl's 33RS steps up to .063 like most of their other chains.
More width more room for case hardening. Also benfits a wider rivet hub bearing for more wear endurance and extra oil holding capacity.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

weimedog

Been typing in between salt trucks....stacking salt deliveries one tractor trailer load at a time. Couple of thousand tons... home away from home in a Volvo L120F

weimedog

With out really knowing their manufacturing process, my bet is they don't actually do case hardening anymore, probably s form of inductance heating and controlled temperature drop to get what they r looking for. Allows for a more consistent hardness thru out a part. But as the drive link is the bearing surface, a little more can't b bad. Question for the engineers would be how much is needed I guess. Either way what ever they did appears to work 

ehp

ran some of this new chain today but just in .058 gauge , it cut not to bad out of the box . Seems to stay sharper than the LGX so its forsure harder, once I file it I will know then.

ehp

now cannot say how the new EXL chain is done but the older LGX chain is put in a bath to harden it , water with salt and some other stuff . When the chain parts come out of that bath donot run up and grab a hold of it 8), it will ruin your day

coxy

so how are the teeth for filing are they hard to imposable like most of there other chain i have 10 new Oregon chains  that cant be hand filed 8 of the teeth are so hard it ruins the file i haven't used Oregon chain or bars in years the Oregon rep was in Boonville ny at the woodsmen's fest a few years back doing a talk study and i told him what junk there bars where he gave me a new bar that they just came out with at the time and told me to try it and let him know how it was well i cut 8 trees down cut them up in 8-10ft lengths a lobed the tops about a tank of gas on the bar it already started to flare and the tip went out just like the rest of there      i sent the bar back just like he asked me to and explained what i did and how long it lasted  and i haven't heard anything from him in 3-4 years  granted i didn't pay for the bar but would have been nice to here something back so i don't buy any bars or chain from Oregon   

John Mc

I've not had that experience with Oregon bars. The only time I've seen an issue is when folks let their chains get dull and try to make up for it by forcing the chain into the wood with muscle power or using the felling dogs (aka "dull chain over-rides"). Maybe you just got a bad one?

Most times I've run into teeth too hard to sharpen it's been because someone sharpened them on a grinder and overheated them. I did try Total chains some years ago (I think made by Carlton, back before Carlton was bought by Oregon?) A few chains each had several teeth that were so hard right out of the box that I ruined a few files trying to sharpen them. A sure sign of a heat treating problem at the factory. I stopped buying Total chains after that. Had he same problem once on a Woodland Pro chain, but I don't use them any more either. I use Oregon chains most of the time now and have not run into hard teeth out of the box.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

ehp

no problems so far, the new chain to me is a lot like the stihl chain in hardness

coxy

got a bad one i had 6 of them in a row  >:(  i know a while back some one here had talked to Oregon about the chain and they sent them to Oregon and they sent them back new replacement chain said there was a problem at the factory with making the to hard  or something like that  

ehp

ya we got a bunch of rolls of 73 LGX chain that was the other way, did not get harden enough , very soft

Woodcutter_Mo

I got a couple 73exl chains ordered for my 455 Rancher and my 372xp. Can't wait to try them out, the chain on the 372 currently is about gone. 
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Woodcutter_Mo

The 24" PowerCut chain i ordered for the 372xp came in yesterday. Just looking it over, it's got a clean and consistent grind and feels very sharp out of the box, like the Oregon SpeedCut chains I have for my 024. The profile doesn't exactly fit a round file, but its close and shouldn't be hard to file (providing the metal isn't over hardened like my SpeedCut chains apparently were) . I think I will test it out today. 
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

wild262

Quote from: Woodcutter_Mo on March 25, 2018, 08:55:04 AM
The 24" PowerCut chain i ordered for the 372xp came in yesterday. Just looking it over, it's got a clean and consistent grind and feels very sharp out of the box, like the Oregon SpeedCut chains I have for my 024. The profile doesn't exactly fit a round file, but its close and shouldn't be hard to file (providing the metal isn't over hardened like my SpeedCut chains apparently were) . I think I will test it out today.

Soon as I use up my reel of RS chain, I will have to try this out.  Sounds pretty good so far.  I think after you sharpen it the first time, it should take to filing.  Keep us posted. :)

John Mc

None of the chains I buy fit a round file profile the first time I sharpen them, but it doesn't take much to change that when I do sharpen them.

My biggest gripe with Oregon LG & LP chain is that ever since they started pushing their "sharp out of the box" advertising, they have been coming with way too much hook on the teeth - and the depth gauges are set too high (higher than Oregon's own specs - maybe they are trying to make up for the extra hook?). They do cut well out of the box, but that hook never holds up very well. I like them much better after I have sharpened them a couple of times (and I'm not doing anything fancy with my sharpening, just bringing them into the specs they say to use on their chains).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Woodcutter_Mo

Quote from: John Mc on March 25, 2018, 09:36:38 AM
None of the chains I buy fit a round file profile the first time I sharpen them, but it doesn't take much to change that when I do sharpen them.

My biggest gripe with Oregon LG & LP chain is that ever since they started pushing their "sharp out of the box" advertising, they have been coming with way too much hook on the teeth - and the depth gauges are set too high (higher than Oregon's own specs - maybe they are trying to make up for the extra hook?). They do cut well out of the box, but that hook never holds up very well. I like them much better after I have sharpened them a couple of times (and I'm not doing anything fancy with my sharpening, just bringing them into the specs they say to use on their chains).
Comparing an LGX with the EXL, I can see what you mean with there being alot of hook on the LGX, I hadnt really payed that much attention but I have a loop of LGX on the 455 to compare and the EXL has significantly less. I could see a little difference by the OP's post with the picture comparison but in person I can really see the difference.

-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

Woodcutter_Mo

I did some cutting with the PowerCut EXL chain and it seems to be cutting great so far.
Heres another couple pics for comparison if anyone is interested.

EXL PowerCut rear in focus

LGX front in focus

-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

John Mc

Quote from: Woodcutter_Mo on March 25, 2018, 11:44:17 AMComparing an LGX with the EXL, I can see what you mean with there being alot of hook on the LGX, I hadnt really payed that much attention but I have a loop of LGX on the 455 to compare and the EXL has significantly less. I could see a little difference by the OP's post with the picture comparison but in person I can really see the difference.
The LGX chain didn't come that way 5 or so years ago. Was the chain in your photo new out of the box, or had you already sharpened it yourself? Compare to this picture from one of Oregon's brochures with their sharpening instructions. It has nowhere near the beak sticking off that their new chain actually does:

Try putting one of Oregon's depth gauge tools on it, and see if they depth gauges stick up above the tool. Or put a straight edge across a couple of teeth and measure how far down the depth gauges are below the edge. Their specs call for 0.025". Last time I checked it was something like .015-.020" out of the box

ehp

been running the EXL chain on the landing , about half way used up now with this chain. Im pretty happy with it . Seems to stay sharp a lot better than the LGX as Im cutting up in sand/mud . I got a couple more new ones but if Im using a husky to cut up with I will be using this chain

Woodcutter_Mo

Quote from: John Mc on March 25, 2018, 01:23:42 PM
Quote from: Woodcutter_Mo on March 25, 2018, 11:44:17 AMComparing an LGX with the EXL, I can see what you mean with there being alot of hook on the LGX, I hadnt really payed that much attention but I have a loop of LGX on the 455 to compare and the EXL has significantly less. I could see a little difference by the OP's post with the picture comparison but in person I can really see the difference.
The LGX chain didn't come that way 5 or so years ago. Was the chain in your photo new out of the box, or had you already sharpened it yourself? Compare to this picture from one of Oregon's brochures with their sharpening instructions. It has nowhere near the beak sticking off that their new chain actually does:

Try putting one of Oregon's depth gauge tools on it, and see if they depth gauges stick up above the tool. Or put a straight edge across a couple of teeth and measure how far down the depth gauges are below the edge. Their specs call for 0.025". Last time I checked it was something like .015-.020" out of the box
Both chains are brand new with the factory grind. The LGX hadn't even cut yet. 
 The depth gauge tool I have is a Husqvarna (the little stamped metal tool with the Hardwood slot and Softwood slot) but the LGX depth gauge are just barely above the tool and the EXL are about flush. I'll measure them when I find my feeler gauges and a strait edge.
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

OH logger

ive always been a bigger fan of stihl chain not Oregon. are these new EXL chains as good as stihl chain ?
john

ehp

OH logger

Quote from: ehp on April 03, 2018, 08:04:21 PM
pretty close so far for me

thats good news cause they are a fair amount cheaper
john

ehp

I bought a 100 ft roll of this chain yesterday , Its close to the good stihl chain, maybe a touch softer but forsure a lot better than the LGX as far as hardness goes , does not dull as easy

Thank You Sponsors!