iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Arky does Memphis!

Started by MemphisLogger, March 20, 2005, 10:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MemphisLogger

Arky came across the big crick to where the big trees grow . . . 

He brought some perty blue sticks with him . . .

Ouch!   

I have to say, I was a little impressed by the hydraulics . . .

My wife says he looks like a teddy bear . . .

3 big logs . . .

And the hounds played . . .

Other log dogs are much more serious . . .

Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

asy

Great photos, thanks!!!

Um..   Unless your dog breeds are a little differrent to ours... Neither of those looked like Huskies!!!

Very cute! but not huskies!

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

HORSELOGGER

Whats with the green grass, leaves on the shrubs, flowers in bloom and workers in t shirts?  Oh well... nice pics, just sufferin from weather envy :(
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

MemphisLogger

First day of spring, y'know  ;)
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

DanG

I guess them Yankees and Canucks didn't get the word about Spring comin' in, eh? :D :D :D  All that insulation they're wearing has trapped a lot of cold, winter air next to their bodies, making them think the weather is still cold. ???  If they'd just strip down to the t-shirt, they could enjoy all this nice, warm Spring weather with the rest of us. ;D

That last pic is priceless, ULogger. :)  I got a dog that is like that...curious. Watches everything I do.  I'm sure she is just making sure I ain't hiding a pork chop, or something, but it sure seems like she's trying to learn. :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

tnlogger

urban there be some nice boards it that pile.
i just cannot in my deapest dream of Arky looking like a teddy bear  8) 8) 8)
ocause you could talk to da boss and ask him some of that majic he to change his name for ya.
onsecond thought ya better let the mrs. ask. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
gene

sprucebunny

Great pictures, Scott.  8) Thanks.

That must be LBJ checking the blade anignment ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

sigidi

great lookin Pics, and some terrific lookin boards!!
Always willing to help - Allan

ARKANSAWYER

THE CRICK!

THE CITY

THE MEMPHIS MONSTER

A.S.S. IN TRAVEL MODE

CRACKING THE MONSTER

MAKING IT WANDA SIZE

WANDA EATING LUNCH

LBJ GRADED THIS AS FINE

LOOKS LIKE JUNK TO ME, SHOULD BE HAULED BACK TO ARKANSAS

It was a good trip and some good lumber came from such a junk monster log as this.   We qsawed most of it and made some nice FAS 8/4 x 20 x 10 ft boards.  Scott was a big help and I had a great day with some new friends and had a great time in Memphis though I am glad to be back on my side of the crick.
  How ever in the OUCH! photo it seems I broke my leg.   By Monday the Docs were about to cut the skin to let the pressre off, as my smashed muscles were so swollen that blood was not getting to my foot.  It was no big deal and I am getting lots of rest and drugs.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

MULE_MAN

Whoa !!! Lets back up a minute here !!! You BROKE your leg ???

Now let's here that story
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

Patty

Geeesh Arky! Hope the drugs are kicking in and taking care of the pain. I had to scroll back up and look again at the ouch picture. Holy cow, you finished the day out with a BROKEN LEG!  :o
Not me! I'd have been whining and crying hoping for oooodles of attention and care. Must be a guy thing to be so tuff.  ::)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Tom

Actually, Patty, I think it is a "Southern" thing.  We move so slow that word of physical damage doesn't reach our brain til the 'morrow.   Our Greens have to be cooked for hours and daylight in the morning is left over sunset from the day before. 

It doesn't make it hurt any less but by the time we find out we broke a leg, it's already healed up.  Arky is just enjoying the sympathy he can get at home now.  That's part of it too.  You get to sit on the porch and watch the dogs. ;D

Patty

Thanks for clearing that up, Tom.  ;)

Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Doc

Did you really break it, or is it just beat up really good by that log?

How big was that sucker?

Doc

Roxie

Jumping Doggies!  Talk about Cowboy Up!!!!!!!!   :o  No big DEAL? 
Say when

Bibbyman

Arky is going to need a Command Cotrol W/Accuset so he can rest his bum leg.. :D

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

etat

ARKANSAWYER's new motto.  Have Sawmill, Will Travel.  Tough as Nails and Twice as Mean.

Well, I guess I shouldn't a said mean, sorry.   Broke my leg in 86, docs said I'd be off 9 months to a year.  I called him a liar right then and there and went back to work in three and a half, in a walking cast pulling no sags in a furniture factory.  Mostly worked on one leg.  *DanG near like to killed me but food on the table and all that. Guess it's a southern thing.  Take care of yerself Arky and heal up real good.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Kevin_H.

"How ever in the OUCH! photo it seems I broke my leg.   By Monday the Docs were about to cut the skin to let the pressre off, as my smashed muscles were so swollen that blood was not getting to my foot.  It was no big deal and I am getting lots of rest and drugs.
ARKANSAWYER "

hey Arky I beleive that is called compartment syndrome, and man does that hurt. ( I guess you know that already) Take care of it and let LBJ run the mill for a couple of days.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

ARKANSAWYER

Yes Kevin that is it!  Doc nor wife (who is a physical therapist) was not impressed with how tuff I was. :-\  More of a good smashing and hairline crack in the little bone more then any thing.  It was the long 5 hour ride home after the 6 more hours of working that caused the most problems.  Now you must remember that Monday morning I got up and drove 40 miles to another saw job and was rained out there after 3 hours of sawing that I went to ER.
  Tom you are right! a man must take care of his bod.  Turkey season starts soon.
  I did have on steel toe boots.
  We were rolling the first chunck on when the thing hit the forks of the mill it slid back down and pinned my leg between the two chuncks.  They both weighted about 3,000 lbs.  Luckly I did not pass out and kept hold of my cant hook which I was able to pry myself loose with.   I did not know Scott got the photo.   I was hoping that he did not.   We knew it was smashed good then but when there is good sawing to be done you let nothing stand in the way.  Around here you can not cry if you are not bleeding.
  After lunch when I got up from my chair I was really stiff and not of much use from then on other then sawing. 
    (like NASCAR)  I would like to Thank my sponsors and pit crew for the great run we had in the Memphis Monster Log (how many bdft Scott?).  It was a fine day for sawing and the LogRite tools did a fine job and pulled us out of some tight spots, WoodMizer for the mill that exceeded all expections, Dodge Trucks for the fine ride home, Huskavarna 372 for busting up the monster, and Forestry Forum for posting the event and keeping fans up to date.   Most of all to my pit crew on the green chain Bob and Scott who did a fine job of keeping things moving and fun.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

EZ

Sorry to here about your leg Arkansawyer. Maybe the Good Lord decided you needed a little rest.
EZ

MemphisLogger

David, I'm truly sorry I had a camera in my hand instead of your A.S.S. like I should have  :'( ;D

DanG

Scott, the folks that ain't read the Cant Hook thread is gonna wonder about you! ;D :D :D :D

Sorry about the leg, Arkey!  That musta smarted some! :o  Good thing you was carryin' a spare.  Like Tom says, set on the porch for a spell and make plans to go fishin' and huntin'.  Course, by the time you heal up, you'll be too far behind to actually fish or hunt. :-\
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

TomFromStLouis

It's hard to know what to say here. What a great pictorial by both participants. The actual action photo of the day's lowlight is pretty amazing. The log is amazing. The dog shots are amazing. The boards are amazing, but I would call that a high price to pay.

Arky's gracious bows are amazing. Calling a leg bone "a little one" is pretty funny. Give up the anatomy career and stay with sawing Arky - we don't have any larger than the femur, tibia and fibula (sp?). Looks like you might need an armpit rest on the end of that blue stick.

I wonder if this event and that picture will help Logrite come up with a name.

MemphisLogger

DanG, I ain't worried 'bout what the unknowing think about me as long as my wife knows that real sawyers do it with sustainable hardwood  ;)

Arky, my wife (midwife and herablist) says you should drink 2 cups of Comfrey tea (AKA Boneset) everyday for a week.  :)

Tom, the big stick does have a name--A.S.S. (Arkansawyer Super Stick).  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!