iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building my mill...

Started by Kbeitz, April 17, 2015, 07:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

Learning as I go. I worked at Grizzly Tools in Muncy Pa. and I did some welding for them for my two bandsaw blade wheels. I pretty much had all the steel I needed execpt for a small chunk of 30mm round rod I needed for the bandsaw wheels. I'm not sure what engine I'm useing yet. I got my eye on one thats listed at an auction tommorow. My carrage is going to be motor driven. I got room for a 30" log 18 feet long on the mill. I have my own machine and weld shop. I also have a woodwork shop and thats why I want a mill. Right now I'm tired of welding... I think I'll take a few days off.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

gww

Thanks for posting and I am hoping for more pictures as you go.
Good luck
gww

Kbeitz

Working on it every day...

[img]
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

thecfarm

What sawmill? I'm too busy looking at the wall with the wheels on it and as my wife would say,all the other junk.  :D Looks like my place.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ga Mtn Man

That's a lot of progress for someone who was going to "take a few days off".  Too bad you had to ruin it with all that new steel  :laugh:.

It appears that your sawhead is suspended by the winch cable through the pulleys at the top of the masts.  I think you may have trouble keeping the sawhead perfectly parallel to the bunks as you crank it up/down.  But then again, I've never built a bandmill so what do I know. :)
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Kbeitz

All the steel was used... I just cleaned it up....
I got real lucky today at an auction.
I got the 13 hp Honda engine that I wanted for the mill for $150.00
Then  bid on what looked like a real of bandsaw blade band...
I was going to try to make my own blades but cutting the lenght I need and silversolder it together.
I won that bid for $15.00.
After I got it home and opened it up I found it was already made in to 153" blades.There was 7 of them and they fit my saw. Now whats the chances of that...
On Wednesday when I checked everything out the bandsaw blades had no rust.
So they are a whole lot better than they look.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Posting pictures here sure is tough...
For the best of me I could not get it to show two pictures..

And then 2 min later it shows up... Hummm...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

With all the weight on the cables I dont think it's going to move.
I bet there is around 200 lbs at least on the masts.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

ozarkgem

Were the band wheels from a Grizzly saw? If so what model? Are you using 1 1/4 width blades? Looking good on the build.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

arnold113

Kbeitz, Keep up the great work. Looks like you're having a lot of fun. It gives a person a feeling of satisfaction to build something rather than buying it ready made. I'm just finishing up my band mill that I've built mostly out of repurposed steel.
Seeing as you have built a lot of things, you know what I'm talking about.  Good luck on all your foraging.
Arnold113
DIY band saw mill: four post, 25 HP gas engine, 32" x 18' portable, 24 vdc and hydraulic controls, pineywoods log turner, hyd log loader. RF remote controls for mill.  DIY set works.

Kbeitz

Quote from: ozarkgem on April 18, 2015, 08:16:53 PM
Were the band wheels from a Grizzly saw? If so what model? Are you using 1 1/4 width blades? Looking good on the build.

Yep off the model  #G0701 5 hp Industral bandsaw. Im useing both 1-1/2 and the 1-1/4" blades.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

downsouth

Looks good! 
All those bands need is a few squirts of wd40 or ATF and they are good to go. Good luck and keep us posted

Ocklawahaboy

Much better than I could ever do.  I'm curious about your log loading plans.  If you use ramps, it looks like those fenders would get in the way.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Ocklawahaboy on April 19, 2015, 01:02:13 AM
Much better than I could ever do.  I'm curious about your log loading plans.  If you use ramps, it looks like those fenders would get in the way.

I'm hoping to make my ramp curved.
Or I see some builders make there fenders removable.
They kinda slide on place using square tubbing.
I also thought about making a log lifter...
All this will take another dream night to process.
Here is a picture of my Tension adjuster.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

ozarkgem

I should have asked in the previous post. What is the diameter and width of the wheels?
Any idea what the cost is from Grizzly on the wheels?
Thanks
Jim
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Kbeitz

Quote from: ozarkgem on April 19, 2015, 07:37:39 AM
I should have asked in the previous post. What is the diameter and width of the wheels?
Any idea what the cost is from Grizzly on the wheels?
Thanks
Jim
17 inch across OD.
2" width on the rim and 6" at the bearing housing.
I was told around $600.00 each. (ouch)...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

I made a bandsaw blade clamp and repaired my first blade today.
I'm happy with the way it turned out...
I need to take a better picture of the weld job.
This picture makes it look bad...
Repaired with silversolder.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Made the engine plate today and I got it welded to the carrage and the engine bolted fast... Break time....

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

Well yes you did, and in fine style!!   :o   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

I got my Cooks bandsaw blade roller guides in today...
I would have tried to make these but the time is would take I thought I would just buy them. Also they are hardened. I have a heat treating oven but I would probably use enough electric hardening the rollers in dollars as the boughten one cost me.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Hilltop366

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: Kbeitz on April 20, 2015, 11:31:35 AM
I got my Cooks bandsaw blade roller guides in today...
I would have tried to make these but the time is would take I thought I would just buy them. Also they are hardened. I have a heat treating oven but I would probably use enough electric hardening the rollers in dollars as the boughten one cost me.
That is similar to the way some of us with mills still buy 2x4s. 

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

bandmiller2

"K"  copy the bearing numbers down and have some spares. After long use those guides will wear and need to be trued up, easiest is to have a tool post grinder on your metal lathe if not anneal and turn. I made a heavy duty tool post grinder for my lathe used a heavy grinder with a 6" wheel made a bracket to hold it on the tool post, just what the Dr. ordered for hardened pieces. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!