iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spring turkey hunting

Started by Dana, April 28, 2006, 07:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dana

I got a nice tom on opening day of the first hunt. Thought I would share a couple photos. First is of myself and my kids. The second is my kids and my nephew. He called in this tom, another nice tom, 10 jakes, and two hens in. The hens and jakes were all staring at us from 20 yards while he worked the 2 big toms in. :o This was my first turkey hunt what a good time.

Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

crtreedude

Nice birds!

The only time I would see turkeys with a good shot is when I was hunting deer - with a bow. I would generally see deer when I was hunting turkeys...  :-\

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Dana

We are pretty lucky to the amount of wildlife near us as we have. Twenty miles away the deer hunters often don't see horns at all. Our township, I had a deer biologist refer to as deer central. :) Lots of turkeys also thanks to a winter feeding program sponsored by the turkey federation.

sawguy21

Turkeys are not native here but are apparently moving up from Idaho into the province. Guess they know a good thing when they see it. :D Sure no shortage of deer, I see them laying on the shoulder all the time.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

crtreedude

I think turkeys are native everywhere - why just yesterday I had a turkey cut me off while I was driving...  ;D
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Texas Ranger

My fisher friends just got back from Costa Rica, said all the drivers down thee were turkeys!!!!! 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

bitternut

Congatulations Dana, nice turkeys. The season opens here in NY May 1. Last weekend was the special youth turkey season. They got em all educated now. Gonna be tougher for us after the kids got them all wised up but thats OK. Were the kids with you when you shot the turkeys?

sawguy21

Just found out today there is an open season on turkeys in BC for the first time.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

isawlogs

Had this guy strutting his feathers for us last weekend , he came around with four hens .

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Dana

Bitternut, The kids weren't with us. They weren't with us. They were at school a half day that day. The next day was a Saturday but the tags were filled. We went to a farm consignment sale and they were just as happy. :)

The range of turkeys is spreading. I remember seing my first turkey while driving our tractor through the woods. I must have been 13 or 14 years old. It flew right past the tractor and landed on the hillside. Before that only pictures and article in Field and Stream Magazine.

thecfarm

Turkeys are spreading around here too.Use to see them about an hour south from here all the time about 4-5 years ago.I don't have to drive to see them anymore.They are all over the place now.I've been hauling rocks into my woods road and see them at least once a day in my wood yard.Don't my dog love to chase them.I don't hunt them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

wiam

Here is one I saw last week.

Will

Thank You Sponsors!