iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

We're Raising Cane Down Here!

Started by DanG, November 05, 2007, 11:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbowl

This is the last process, putting in jars. I've got a different idea of the last process. It has to do with a biscuit, pancakes, light bread or ..... even a finger will do.  ;D

Before we left they asked if we would like to drink a little bit of cane juce. There were a few more stalks left so he fired up the tractor and put the stalks of cane through the mill. I held the screen over the jug to keep the cane pieces and  smashed yellow jackets out of the juice.

Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

WDH

Now I know why DanG has been thinking about biscuits :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don K

Looks like a lot of fun watching that. I've never seen syrup being cooked. I guess I need to check it out.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Tom

Everybody should go to a cane grinding and syrup cooking, at least once in their life. It can be some good old Rural fun.

WDH

Kinda like a peanut boiling.  Sorry that you Northern members missed out on peanut boilings when you were growing up.

Do any of y'all like boiled peanuts, or, are they in the same maligned class as grits ???.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

Why do you ask that WDH...do they not have any taste?    ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D  ;) ;)

Any excuse to get together is usually a good time...maple syrup, fish boils, deer hunting, ATV ridin, ..... ;D   The peanut boilin sounds good too.. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pineywoods

re  boiled peanuts

a waste of a perfectly good food.   Eat'um RAW.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Corley5

How many gallons of juice does it take to make a gallon of syrup ???  
I've tried boiled peanuts several times each time thinking/hoping that I'd like them.  I've given up.  I'll stick with roasted peanuts.  I do like grits  ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

WDH

I like a peanut about any way they are prepared.  When I was a kid, we would go dove hunting in peanut fields and build a blind out of peanut vines left over from threshing.  You could sit in the blind and pick off the air-dried raw peanuts and eat them while waiting on the doves.  That was better than the hunting..

Corely5,

There is still hope for you ;D.  (Hope your Mom and Dad are doing well.  They are super nice people.)

Tom

Kevin and Tamiam are converts to boiled peanuts.  They got into some at Sawlex and the last time I saw Tamiam, she was looking for more. :D

Daconant

Speaking of cane juice, there are few things more refreshing on a hot tropical afternoon than a tall glass of fresh cane juice, lime, and crushed ice. (unless it is the same glass with a little cane rum added ;D). I first had this at a food stand in Singapore and have been a fan ever since.
David Conant

isawlogs

DanG , Woodbowl , thanks , I never did ever get to see any cane , must be cause of the sudden turn around I did when I did almost make it south one time ....  :-\   Anyways , could you take a few pics of the cane it self 'fore its liquide ....  I sure would like to see the whole process .  :P 
  This is really neat ...  How much cane s does it take ... ???  So ya throw a cane in a hole ... its spruts up for three ta five years ... then what , ya start over ... Why does it stop spruting , or is it that after that time the spruts are no more sweet . ???  How tall does the cane reach ...
  I have more questions if ya get bored ...  ;D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

I guess I missed this thread some how. Oh!, I was away that week. But, anyway I'm enjoying this thread. Very interesting tradition, similar to our maple syrup season. Well it's more than a tradition I guess, it's an industry. I don't know if I dreamed it, or if I saw pictures of cane cut into short pieces on here, or if I saw cane in the grocery store. I must be losing it, I just can't remember. It must have been the grocery store and I don't know why I think that. I doubt anyone around here would know how to deal with it.

The yellow jackets couldn't taste much worst then the sap flies could they? :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Furby

Yup, they sell cane at some grocery stores here, but not year round.

SwampDonkey

It might have been a Wal-Mart super center over in Maine.

I have seen fresh figs here, so sugar cane may have been in our Super Store grocery.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodbowl

Marcel, here is a close up of sugar cane. It takes about 10 gallons of juice to produce 1 gallon of syrup.

DanG's got a bug in his computor so he's gonna be out of whack for a few days. He's doing the planting so I'll let him tell you about all that.

Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

isawlogs

Thanks , I sure will be looking for this thread , this is something I aint got any kowledge of what s so ever . Seeing as how sweet this stuff is , I want to know more about how its made .

Hope Dang can get rid of the problem soon and that it aint a costly splution .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

DanG

Quote from: isawlogs on December 07, 2007, 06:34:31 PM

DanG , Woodbowl , thanks , I never did ever get to see any cane , must be cause of the sudden turn around I did when I did almost make it south one time ....  :-\   Anyways , could you take a few pics of the cane it self 'fore its liquide ....  I sure would like to see the whole process .  :P 
  This is really neat ...  How much cane s does it take ... ???  So ya throw a cane in a hole ... its spruts up for three ta five years ... then what , ya start over ... Why does it stop spruting , or is it that after that time the spruts are no more sweet . ???  How tall does the cane reach ...
  I have more questions if ya get bored ...  ;D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

DanG

Oooohh yeah!  I get it now.  Yer supposed to type yer stuff in BEFORE ya hit tha "Post" button, don't ya?! :D :D :D :D

Marcel, ya shoulda just kept on coming south.  It don't really get much hotter once ya pass Maryland or so. ::)

Actually, sugar cane looks a bit like corn growing.  It is jointed, like bamboo and corn stalks, and has fodder coming from the joints like corn.  It can be quite tall.  The stuff we got for seed was about 10-12 feet tall, but some of that was in the wad of fodder at the top.  The actual viable stalks were more like 5-6 feet long.

It takes about 10 gallons of juice to make one gallon of syrup.  I guess it depends on the cane as to how much cane it takes to make a gallon.  I'm thinkin' ol' Wade said it took about 400 feet of row to make up his 60 gallons of juice that we cooked that day.  If that's the case, I should get about one 80 gallon batch out of what we planted.  I'll try to get some pics up soon.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

billbobtlh

http://www.southernmatters.com
http://www.syrupmakers.com/cane_syrup.html
Dang DanG That is great you got some this makes two years I have missed out.
Here is lots of great info for everyone on these links.
Lots of picks of cook houses and stories and such...

SwampDonkey

I couldn't get them to load bill.  :-\

never mind, browser went berserk and thought it was an ftp server for some reason. ::)

Thank You Sponsors!