iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pictures from JoeyLowe's Timber Frame

Started by Jeff, September 28, 2004, 11:07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

RJJ

I second that!!

How was the class and are you planning another one soon?

JimY

As one of the participants, I can say a great time was had by all.  :)  Joey, Anita, and family were terrific and understanding hosts.  Jim Rogers was an excellent and patient instructor.  We had a perfect blend of lecture and hand-on work.  
   Didn't get to raise anything b/c of scheduling problems with the concrete guys but we did everything up to that point.  I gained a lot of confidence.  Would go back to work more if it was closer.   8)   8)

Jim_Rogers

To All:
It seems that Joey, may have mis-placed his camera and will find it soon among all his new tools as he cleans up his well stocked current shop.
But in the mean time I have some.
Here is one of the class:

Front row, left to right: Clyde Osborn (Joey's right hand man), Pops (Joey's father in-law, and his left hand man, at times), Jacob Price (the hardest working young man I've ever met), Jeff Price (TN_man on the FF, Jacob's proud father), and the ever growing THIN man Joey Lowe our host.
Back row, left to right: Philip Dahl (from Monroe, LA) and Jim Yon (JimY on the FF).
A great bunch of participants who gave it their best.
In the middle is Bent number one a 20' wide queens post bent bent of southern yellow pine standing on a set of temporary blocks.
A good time was had by all.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

TN_man

I want to thank everyone that made the class possible. Jacob and I had a great time. On the way home, Jacob said "thanks for taking me, Dad, I had a great time. I could stand to do that for a living!"
I appreciate Jim's willingness to share his knowledge and experience with us. It was nice to meet him as well as Jim Y and Phil, who both are members of the forum. Also want to thank Joey who opened his home to us and made us all feel welcomed. I don't have a digital camera, so I can't post any pictures. Sorry. Jeff
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

JoeyLowe

:D Hi all:

I located the camera right where I left it. (In the pocket of my raincoat.)

Overall, I think fun and learning was had by all.  Weather was great all week except for Friday. (We got wet!)  Everyone started arriving on Sunday & Monday and since it appeared that we would have room, all stayed on site.  

Tuesday morning started off with a pow wow around the trailer.  Here's the first of many photos to come.

That's the sawmill and the kiln to the rear of Jim and the new shop is to the left of the photo.  You can barely see one of the forms in place.

--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

JoeyLowe

Jim Rogers starts to work on a tenon as Philip Dahl looks on.
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

JoeyLowe

Jeff Price takes a turn at using the skill saw from h****.  This saw will humble you pretty quick.
--
Joey Lowe

JoeyLowe

The whole group gets involved in setting up bent #1 for a fit-up.  Using cribbing made it easy to set up this bent, but the wet weather and mosquitos took a toll.
--
Joey Lowe

JoeyLowe

:)  More pics later along with details.  I have to get back to the real world for a bit and crunch some numbers.
--
Joey Lowe

Buzz-sawyer

Every pic I have seen of Jim ....All that can be seen are that hat and bibs....is this guy in witness protection :D :D :D....probably just a hard worker.... 8) 8)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Jim_Rogers

Buzz:
I've been sued so many times for braking cameras that I tend to lean into the position to reduce the lawyers fees :D :D

I did however bring my cast iron camera and Joey managed to get one shot of me:

I wore that red shirt that day so I won't blend in with the others. :D :D

You should have seen the looks I got walking threw Dallas/Fort Worth Airport with that hat on ;D ;D :D

Jim Rogers

JoeyLowe

Here I am using the shaving horse that I built to Jim's specs/plans.  It works really good and I was even able to convince my wife that it was the latest trend in exercise as evidenced below:

--
Joey Lowe

Philip

Thanks for the pictures guys.  At least my wife now knows, with at least some certainty, where I was last week.  The class was great, as was the company.  We all learned a lot and made some good friends.  Wasn't someone going to e-mail me some pictures?

Thanks to all!

Jim_Rogers

Here are some more photos of the workshop:

Above is Joey and his woodmizer.
Below is Joey and his supervisor:

Below, father and son team working a timber:

Below: Philip studying the plan, looking for dimension:

Here is the plan:

Below is Clyde trimming a brace tenon:

They all did a good job.

Jim Rogers

beetle

Looks like a whole lota fun !

Good job guys.
Too many hobbies...not enough time.

JoeyLowe

In my haste to make sure everyone was having a good time, I forgot to pay close attention during the square rule layout porion of the seminar.  Thanks to Jim, his previous posts help answer my questions about sizing the housing.
--
Joey Lowe

JoeyLowe

Okay, I thought it was time for a little update here too.  I will be adding some photos over the next few days as time permits.  My harddrive crashed and I'm slowly recovering the data, so please bear with me if I make a mistake.  ::)

This is a photo some of the beams that were cut a few days after the seminar.  Nice tight grain on SYP.

Here is another view:

Here is one of the concrete guys going over the final touches prior to laying the slab.

Here special attention is given to the rebar in the footings.  Code officers required 4 #5 rebar beams to be continuos around perimeter of slab  and had to be at least 18" below grade.

That's it for now.  I will upload more later.  The slab has been poured.  The sill plates are in place.  The joinery for the first 4 bents have been cut and weather permitting, I plan to start standing up bents in the morning.

--
Joey Lowe

Timber_Framer

That SYP looks beautiful, I'll bet that makes one sharp looking frame! Most of the pine we get to work with up here is white and we rarely get any with a grain that looks as pronounced as yours.
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

JoeyLowe

Hi all.  Another update along with some minor problems.  I was preparing to raise the first of three bents that I have ready to raise and I got bent one assembled. (just the three posts, tie beam and braces.)  All have been planed and oiled and man are they pretty.  I lined up bent one with the mortices in my sill plate and put my strong backs in place and I put kickers along the sill plates to keep the posts from sliding off the foundation.  I'm using a fork tilt the bents up and so I got it into position and got the bent strapped and secured.  I slowly start to raise bent one and it comes up beautifully.  I get it tilted to about 80 degrees and I'll be darned if the whole thing didn't slide sideways towards the west about a foot.  So I had to lay it back down and will probably have to disassemble the bent and move everything back into position tomorrow.  (I ran out of daylight.)  I guess tomorrow that I will also put kickers in place along the sides of the posts to keep everything on the straight and narrow and give it a go again.  A friend stopped by and suggested that I just raise the posts, plumbe and brace them and then lower the tie beam into place.  Any thoughts on this approach?  By the way, a 20 foot long 8 x 8 beam suspended 11 feet in the air is a mighty humbing sight.  Oh did I mention that I'm having the time of my life too. 8)  Thanks again Jim!
--
Joey Lowe

JoeyLowe

::) Hi all!  Here is the first bent all stood up.  That's me in the foreground for those that don't know.  This was a tedious task, but well worth it.  The rest should flow a lot smoother.  Philip Dahl stopped by and snapped some pics and offered his advice on some things too.  He said that the Cowee school was a good time and that he learned quite a bit.  More pics to follow in the coming days weather permitting.

Happy Holidays ;D
--
Joey Lowe

Jim_Rogers

Joey:
Looks good!
I'm glad you resolved the side slip problem. It could have been because of an unbalanced load.
Jim Rogers

Timber_Framer

Workin in shirt sleeves looks good to me too ;D
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

JoeyLowe

Ha!  We've had our forty days and nights of rain and now we have a couple of clear warrm days (70 degrees), followed by wind storms and blue northerers in the coming days.  Next week, I'll break out the carhartts. :o
--
Joey Lowe

Timber_Framer

QuoteNext week, I'll break out the carhartts.
::) ::) ::)

I really can't complain much about this years weather 30's for highs and 20's for lows, we just don't have enough snow yet. :(

Thank You Sponsors!