iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Delta DC 380 15" planer pinion gear

Started by Don P, May 10, 2018, 10:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

I'm considering having an obsolete part made for my Delta DC 380 planer, #124 pinion, a high wear gear. This is the small first spiral drive gear from the end of the cutterhead into the gearbox.
I would need to have a minimum run of 25 pcs, I can use or sell about 5 pcs, The cost per unit would be $45.00 + shipping and something for Jeff, call it $50, does anyone have any interest?

PC-Urban-Sawyer

You might want to put a post about this item on the Lumberjocks website. It caters to woodworkers and there might be some interest there...

Herb

CCCLLC

I have the same machine but currently no problem. Wouldn't hurt to have a spare part on the shelf tho.
My email is listed in my info. Definitely have interest. Thanks for putting it out there.

Don P

This is looking like a good day. I followed Herb's advice and posted on the Lumberjock's forum. One of the guys there had just finished rebuilding one although not that gear. He noted that there were a number of clones of that machine. Jet, Powermatic and Grizzly among others. A friend has a Craftsman that looks very similar. Although the table moves on some of these apparently many parts interchange. He suggested I contact Byrd since they have seen all these machines and this gear keys into their cutterhead.

Within an hour I heard back from Byrd;
Don,

If you go to ereplacementparts.com and type in the part number 6284848, it will show a picture of the pinion gear.  We have sold thousand of SHELIX for the Delta 15" planer and have had one customer say that there gear was machined  opposite from the one in the picture on ereplacement parts.  If your gear looks like the one in the picture you will be ok but if it is machines opposite of the picture then you will probably have to have a gear made custom.

Hope this helps and if you have any questions just let us know.

Sara

I have one on order, should be here next week, I'll update when I get a chance to see if it works. Thanks to everyone... everywhere.

low_48

A lot of folks buy Grizzly replacement parts for Delta. I think the most often is the cheap reeves drive pulleys used on lathes. Not sure what Grizzly's return policy is on parts if they are different though.

Don P

I struck out on the part above, no fit, I just ordered the grizzly pinion gear, I'll keep y'all posted. If anyone needs a 15" Powermatic pinion holler. 

Don P

8) 8), It looks like the Grizzly pinion gear fit. I just did a short test fire and it seems fine. Thanks everyone for your help!
P0453535 GEAR 14T

The Powermatic gear I tried first was a little larger, left hand spiral and 16 tooth. The Grizzly is right hand and 14 tooth. The Powermatic was about $18+ shipping IIRC, the Grizzly was $4.75 + 9.99 shipping, no way I could order something that was half the price of shipping, I felt lucky and ordered two for the same shipping :D. The machining and steel looks less than stellar on all of these including the oem, I'll holler back if it fails soon.

While I was reassembling I took a couple of pics of the last problem I had with the planer. Notice how loose the right hand feed chain is, there is no tensioner on it where there is one on the rear chain. Those are all replacement sprockets and chains not stretched or worn out. This caused the chain to hop teeth on the original sprockets and tore the teeth up. (the pinion gear I replaced this time lives behind those sprockets in that center gearbox just about behind the tensioner, check your oil in that I was very low.)

I drilled through the chain cover, lower right, in a place that would take up some of the slack and improve the wrap on the sprockets then slid a wooden thread spool over a small bolt and nutted that on. Not a tensioner, just taking up some of the slack, but it hasn't hopped again.

Thank You Sponsors!