iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS360 - mods / parts compatibility

Started by politbureau, November 17, 2018, 08:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

politbureau

Hey all! Recently came into a well used MS360, and looking to put some love back into her for general purpose ground work and moderate felling. She only has one issue currently (won't idle/dies) which I'm working to track down, but I'd like to make some mods to her as she essentially cost me nothing.

Does anyone know of a good shop (preferably in Ontario/Canada) that does cylinder porting? Alternatively, any guides to porting online?

Is upgrading to a 49mm piston worth it on this saw? Any reputable sources?

Are any parts from the 361 compatible (or can be made compatible..) with the 360? I'd love to upgrade a few bits:
- 3 position MC switch
- Spring AV system
- Captured sprocket cover nuts

I've been checking out the kits on Huztl, but just not sure what would work - or if I'm trying to reinvent the wheel and should just buy a 361 kit and build it up!

Thanks all!!!

sawguy21

FF member @ehp is in Simcoe, he knows how to get the most out of a saw.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

politbureau

Quote from: sawguy21 on November 17, 2018, 08:55:58 PM
FF member @ehp is in Simcoe, he knows how to get the most out of a saw.
Thanks for the advice! Actually messaged him a few days ago and he's now only doing work on his own personal saws. I'm sadly too late!

ehp

ya the 360 is a good saw but they are getting pretty old , do a muffler mod on it and reset carb . Best bang for your buck . I myself like new saws or very close to new as your going to spend money porting the saw the fresher the crank and bearing the better . Does not make much sense spending good money on a old saw that seen a lot of run time then ask it to turn higher rpms and handle more compression . 99% of the time the rod bearing or crank bearings give up . Sure if you put all that new in a saw your ok but then you might as well just buy a new saw. 361 is a very good saw and to me a better saw than the 362 . I just got a pretty much brand new 361 and 460 to play with

Mad Professor

Almost nothing from a 361 will fit a 360 (except stuff like bars).

As suggested start with a muffler mod, match muffler to exhaust port.  If it high mileage, pull the cylinder clean up the ports, and new rings or piston + rings.  You can also set the squish (piston to cyl clearance at TDC) for more compression.  Check all the rubber parts, filters. carb kit, and fresh set of seals.

That's a good saw.  I have two 036s, almost the same as a 360,  and they are my favorite firewood saws.

Thank You Sponsors!