iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What files do you recommend

Started by propster, February 07, 2013, 10:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

propster

Hi guys, been away for awhile and now back. I'm not having any luck with the search function for some reason, probably just doing it wrong. I know you have discussed this at length in the past so I apologize in advance, but what files do you like best? What is your recommendation for the round file for cutters and the flat file for rakers? Seems I have a heck of a time with the raker file I have, seems too fine and doesn't want to take material off as easily or readily as it should. And my current Oregon round files seem to have lost some of their "sharpness" as well. So I'm looking for brand/type/material/coarseness type of information.  Thanks

tyb525

I like Pferd files from Bailey's, one of the forum sponsors. For flat and round files.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

nixon

I like pferd, save edge ,and Stihl files. They seem to hold up better than the Oregon files
Stihl            044 ,ms 460
Husqvarna.   346xp ,550xp, 562xp
                   372xp ,390xp, 395xp

lumberjack48

For a flat file pickup a Nicholson 6 inch, open the package so that you can use it to keep the file in. I got a yr plus out of one, i kept it on the dash of the pickup.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

mad murdock

a 6" flat file with no teeth on the edges.  bailey's sells them as raker files.  Save Edge is a real good file, Bailey's Woodsman Pro branded files are decent as well.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

propster

Placed an order with Baileys today. They had the Pferd round files on sale, bought a dozen and will give them a try. Also bought a couple of their raker flat files. Thanks for the info guys, and that is a good bookmark CFarm.

bandmiller2

The hardest thing with files is to bring yourself to scrap them when they dull and start to slide.DanG me, but I carefully do my rakers on the bench grinder,chain off. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

cuterz

I like the pferd chain sharp combo it does everything at once. :)

tyb525

quote author=cuterz link=topic=63946.msg952412#msg952412 date=1360333846]
I like the pferd chain sharp combo it does everything at once. :)
[/quote]

I have one of those too I love it. File guide and automatic raker depth adjustment.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

CX3

Pferd from Baileys. Keep the flat file in a case or it will take a beating in the toolbox
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Thank You Sponsors!