iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Setting up stihl 075AV for milling use with Logosol M7 mill or timberjig.

Started by Timberframiadreamin, June 01, 2015, 05:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timberframiadreamin

Okay, after years of reading the forums here and others I am finally able to start milling some logs.  I got a used stihl 075AV with a 36" bar, kind of old looks to be bone stock.

I ordered a new air filter, carb kit, and fuel line, spark plug.   So will do that when parts arrive.  Also got the M7 mill off of ebay if anyone was looking at that, I just bought it, pending shipping and freight issues...

Well it has not shipped yet so that might be a deal breaker, keeping my fingers crossed on that one though.  Ebay says 57$ for shipping but I don't think that's right somehow.

Anyways, if that falls through I am going to get a timberjig from baileys and start out there.

So here's my dilemma:

My 075AV gas tank is top fill so should I modify it somehow for milling, maybe some kind of fuel line?   Or gas cap extension to top fill? 

Same with the oil but it has manual and auto-oilers and the oil adjustment lever on the side, so it's pretty well setup I think for oiling right?  Maybe an external oil tank as well? 

Then the full wrap bar looks like it might be a problem, anyone had to deal with that issue with an M7 and 075? 

Take log grips/dogs off saw correct?

What about sprocket and bar and chain combo?  I am thinking 36" bar saw came with is too long, any thoughts on that?  A 36" log is going to be an upside down milling job with the M7 or I'll take the guide rails off and fix them to the log somehow, cut it down and then mill it on the M7 after that?

I have read a new sprocket might be in order, a saw guide sharpener, 24" bar, ripping chain, maybe a picco sprocket and bar? 

So I need to get set up for the logosol line of milling products, I am going that route as I want to get 8x8's and 8x10's 8-42' in length, maybe 8x12's or 7x9's etc, but classic timber frame sizes.

That's enough questions for now... :D  Anyone can offer advice on any topic I brought up or links to other posts that answer my questions I would appreciate it!

I will keep researching in the meantime, my main questions are about the bar, chain, sprocket, and milling stuff for a logosol M7 or timberjig as the saw wrap bar seems to be an issue on the timberjig for sure.

Seems like I should be using a Husqvarna saw with this mill! Lol...

Also I am editing this post as I am very new to posting here: Here's a picture of the mounts: 

mad murdock

Welcome timberframiadreamin. I have an 075 and I also have owned the timberjigg. Fitting the larger older Stihls to either the timberjigg or the M7 saw sled may be a bit of a challenge, unless Logosol sells the adapter nuts for it. If you are in the states Baileys is the US distributor, unless uou are able to deal with Logosol direct. I think max bar length for either set up is 28". You will probably do better with 24" though. I used my timberjigg with my McCulloch PM700 and an 18" bar, it worked pretty well.  I used 3/8" chain on it. I use Logosol's bar and chain set up on my Bumblebee CSM with a 372XPW. Logosol recommends the stihl 63PMX chain on their mills, which if uou went with that chain you would want a smaller saw, as they do not recommend going over 90cc for power. If you were able to outfit your 075 with picco chain, you would have to get a bar to fit the 075, which may have to be a custom deal, unless ulu can find a .050" 3/8 bar and a picco drive sprocket for the beast. As far as rigging up an alternative fuel/oil cap arrangement-not necessary, IMO, with the Logosol, as it is super easy just to lay the saw up even mounted to the sled or the 'jig, either one is unobtrusive and will not be in the way to service the saw how you normally would using it normally. Hope you are able to get it up and going.  You will like it.   8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Timberframiadreamin

The mill is en route to the west coast, shipping was under 200$. (115 lbs according to logosol's website)  They don't make these or sell the kit anymore, now they have the M8.  Good news is the Big Mill Pro uses the M7 guide rails and timberjigs, so I already will have the guide rails to mill big logs with.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUdlGiNUVyY

ANd here's milling a long log:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1gF5Iy2eiA

These videos are what sold me on this mill actually, especially the long log video!

They do say a stihl 088 requires the special adapter bolts, but not the 075.  I'll have to wait and see on that.  They show a youtube video with an E5000 or electric saw with autofeed sawing a log longer than the mill, and that saw is 7hp I am pretty sure.  Same as the 075.   

I'll put some pictures up here when I get it all set up, I have some logs I can mill with it already, cedar, cherry, and black locust, it looks like a granberg mill still might be in order for a bigger bar and chain application.   

I'm going to call Baileys as they seem to be the USA rep for logosol, and with the mill turned upside down it can mill bigger logs too heavy for the platform.  However I have read that with guide bars and the M7 guide rails, that's all that's needed, maybe the timberjig.

It looks real slick for lumber milling, and smaller logs, so I'll just cut down the bigger stuff on the ground, then final mill it on the M7, it will be very nice to have around when I need a beam or post like a 7x9 or some oddball size. 

The 075 should make a nice saw for ripping down the big stuff into smaller cants, then I can mill the cants and maybe run a planer on there as well.  Not sure how that works but I have read it can be set up for a planer as well.  (If necessary)

Maybe have to get another chainsaw is what I am thinking...  a husqvarna most likely...with the right bar, chain, and sprocket for this mill.  Or make one using a lawnmower engine?  Seems like it's all setup for an autofeed electric motor and the picco chain and bar from logosol like you were saying. 

Well, more toys and back to the drawing board and researching board!

Timberframiadreamin

This one shows milling big logs on the ground, those are the same rails as on the M7!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D3_901kV54 so all I need is the timberjig, and those guide rails, and maybe not even that, just use the ones on the M7 somehow...But this is very slick in my opinion.  Better than the granberg I think.

mad murdock

I think ther the Logosol methods will yeild more consistent true reslrs than the granberg, or should i say, it will he easier to attain consistent results with Logosol, though it will cost a little more.  The Granberg methids can yield good results, it just reauires more vigilance and attention to detail than with the Logosol.  You will not be displeased with your results, once you have the basics down, you can use timbers and the big mill components to fashion even better milling arrangements, as in decks and beams to fasten the rails to, to make a "mill" of sorts.  Logosol has videos of it and pics in their instructions.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!