iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

peerless knuckleboom?

Started by treefarmer87, November 08, 2010, 12:10:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

treefarmer87

anybody ever seen or run one? who made them ? i saw one the other day and i thought i saw timberjack on the vin tag ???
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

ScottAR

Not to sound like a smart mouth, but Peerless made em.  Here in AR no less, across town.
The company/factory has been bought and sold a few times since the log loaders were made.  They dropped the
loaders at least from this factory in the mid 80's and started building semi custom big rig trailers.  This factory
currently operates as KNL holdings.  Still see one every now and again.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

treefarmer87

o ok i have heard of the trailers, didnt know if it was the same company.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

ScottAR

KNL builds a lot of trailers for different markets...  Strange to see a B train chip trailer in AR and never see them on the road.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

treefarmer87

are they any good? or do they break down alot? i have a chance to get one cheap, or sould i wait and get a 180 or 210 prentice?
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

captain_crunch

What I been warned about older loaders unless they have the big bearing turntable they used a tubular shaft to rotate on and generaly have cracks and might turn loose at wrong time
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

lumberjack48

When you look at a used knuckleboom, make sure the mast bushing's are good, if its not a ball bearing turntable, there's a brass  bushing on top, big job to replace. I have seen guys ware the bushing right down to the iron, the mast flopping back in forth, to dam scary for me, a few guys have been killed , the mast will break off. If the mast is good the rest of the loader is a pretty easy fix .
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

treefarmer87

ok i will remember that, thanks
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

northwoods1

Quote from: lumberjack48 on December 17, 2010, 02:54:43 PM
When you look at a used knuckleboom, make sure the mast bushing's are good, if its not a ball bearing turntable, there's a brass  bushing on top, big job to replace. I have seen guys ware the bushing right down to the iron, the mast flopping back in forth, to dam scary for me, a few guys have been killed , the mast will break off. If the mast is good the rest of the loader is a pretty easy fix .

I've seen that happen a couple times, the mast break right off. One time I was skidding to a guy who had a small slasher set up and I was cutting wood just over the edge of a hill from him. I could just see the top of the cab from where I was cutting... then I look over and, no slasher ??? ??? I'm thinking , whaattt? where did the slasher go? So I humped it up over the hill and there was the whole loader and cab sitting pretty much on the ground and hanging from the hydrualic hoses :-[
he wasn't at all injured but talk about a pain in the rear, that whole situation was a hard fix let me tell you.  :D
the other time one broke off and when the operator hit the ground the loader partially landed on him breaking his hip and giving him pretty much a permanent limp :(

Thank You Sponsors!